Top 10 Tips!

lordsux

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief..If he is your Dad I guess he can manage a bit of cultural difference...where is he coming from?

Why is he coming?

How old is he?

What does HE want to do?

Anyone would think you had asked to plan the horror run for him. Go to the beach, go to the hills..take him to the places you love..I guess he wants to know why you like it here??

1)  Photocopy your passport.  Keep your original in hotel safety box and only carry your copy.  This should suffice w/most police if id checked.

2)  Email to yourself all pertinent bank/credit card/ financial/ insurance info so that if you lose, u can always look it up on the internet.

3)  Eating at food stalls are ok as long as you make sure all food is thoroughly boiled and cooked to kill bacteria.  (some of my fav food is at stalls)

4)  Buy a proper bike helmet if you plan to ride.

5)  Bring out only enough $ that you are prepared to lose for the day.  Keep all other $ in your ATM.  If you have to take out a larger amount, break it up into 3 locations on your body.  (1.  wallet in pocket, 2. underwear, 3. socks)

6)  Always cover your pin at ATM's and if the machine looks odd, use another one to avoid cash skimming machines.

7)  Keep business cards of hotel or residences that you stay at to show taxi drivers.

8)  Never take any recreational drugs!!!

9)  If you indulge in bargirls, accept that they are "working girls".  Harshly, they are prostitutes.  Never confuse that fact and enjoy your business transaction.  Fall in love, and u r setting yourself up for trouble.  Plenty of non working girls to date.

10)  ALWAYS SMILE.  :o

this is a good list. I would add the following..

1) beware of little children selling flowers and chewing gum. many of them are pickpockets.

2) gambling is illegal no matter what amount involved.

3) don't eat oysters - cooked or uncooked - period.

4) if you plan on getting drunk, make sure you have a mate with you.

5) negotiate always with a smile.

6) american express travelers check get a higher exchange rate at the exchange booths. get them in high denominations like 500 dollars or 1000 dollars to avoid excessive service fees.

7) drink plenty of water.

8) if you are a member of 24-hour fitness in the states, you can use the facilities here at california fitness just by showing your membership card at the door.

9) remember always that you are a guest in a foreign country.

Take good care of your feet. And if you cut them, hydrogen peroxide the cut 3-4 times a day and plaster them (band-aid) them. Socks and tennis shoes if recovering, and avoid walking thru sewage water which is hard in the monsoon season.

Do not carry large quantities of cash around-ATM when needed-covered in earlier.

The Mosquitos/small gnats only bite me on the ankles. I hate the smell of deet, so i use tiger balm when i feel the first bite. They dont come anymore and i get high on the fumes.

If you build a BG a house, only spend what you can afford to loose.

And remember, the bigger you are, the more right of way you have. Pedestrians are on the bottom of this right. :o

Don't believe the scare mongers who tell you to always wear a condom. :D

Only wear one when you're having sex otherwise your cock will go soggy :D

....and of course only wear a condom when you are having sex WITH SOMEBODY OTHER THAN YOURSELF. :D

Oh, I don't know MM. Have you never heard of a "Posh W4nk" :o:D

Good grief..If he is your Dad I guess he can manage a bit of cultural difference...where is he coming from?

Why is he coming?

How old is he?

What does HE want to do?

Anyone would think you had asked to plan the horror run for him. Go to the beach, go to the hills..take him to the places you love..I guess he wants to know why you like it here??

Great replies to this post, I for sure will drag him to an inet cafe to check this out.

He is from England but has lived in Italy the last 10 years, well travelled, but even with his level of cultural diversity nothing can compare to the culture of Thailand.

He is taking a year off work to relax, get together with his sun and enjoy Thailand and his home in Italy.

I know what he would like to do, but ive told him that hes getting a bit too old for that :o

I can sort the tourist thing out, but I dont want him to put his foot in his mouth, or even worse in a Thais mouth :D

Keep em coming!

6) american express travelers check get a higher exchange rate at the exchange booths.  get them in high denominations like 500 dollars or 1000 dollars to avoid excessive service fees.

Personally, I'd rather pay a few bucks extra in service fees than walk around with 15-35,000 baht in my pocket. For the few dollars you save you're taking a big security gamble.

I've had amex checks go missing in Thailand and got replacements almost immedietly. See the Pattaya forum about what happens when cash goes missing.

cv

Don't believe the scare mongers who tell you to always wear a condom. :D

Only wear one when you're having sex otherwise your cock will go soggy :D

....and of course only wear a condom when you are having sex WITH SOMEBODY OTHER THAN YOURSELF. :D

Oh, I don't know MM. Have you never heard of a "Posh W4nk" :o:D

Just ask Beckham :D

• 5 months later...

Tell your father to read the readers submissions on Stickmanbangkok. Thai visa is the best site for people living in Thailand and those planning on living in Thailand. Stick is the best site for visiting men. Both are a wonderful source of information.

if get asked if it is the first time in Thailand, tell no, you came already 10 times here. so you are not the fresh Dollar machine...

Sound advice. :o

Smiling has been mentioned before too and is very important IMO. Also, don't lose the temper and act confident.

If he's after the ladies, take the BG's stories with a pinch an industrial packet of salt.......

.........and if she's taller than him and has a great set of tits, that's probably a man.

:D

PS has a similar thread not been done before?

how about using the wai ?

i still feel a bit unfamiliar with not shaking hands and just nodding and saying hello.

Basic rule ....

Wai those that are automatically of senior (socially) status to you. (monks ... bosses etc)

Don't initiate wais at other times

Accept the wais of others by putting your hands together in front of you at about shoulder level from peers etc

Don't wai girls at the bars .... waitresses etc

When in doubt ... smile and nod

(really ... please don't be one of those gits that wais the mamasan of a bar when you walk in!