Group Activities

Renoir

Hi,

Is there a list somewhere of groups doing various activities in Chiang Mai and around Chiang Mai? Is there groups doing such things as hiking, cycling, playing badminton, playing chess, writing, discussing books, etc? I am planning to retire in two years (at 54) and I don't want to end up at the bar each and every night or to become a loner... Learning Thai will certainly take a bit of my time but I want to do other things too. Do you think Chiang Mai is the best place for a single man to spend a few months each year or is there better areas in Thailand for single men?

Thanks,

Renoir

That's a great question. I am also a single man, and currently "deciding" where to stay in Thailand. I've been in CM just a month.

Of course the answer is "it depends what you want", but since it appears mainly to be intellectual stimulation rather than physical stimulation, I would suggest CM is a very good place to be.

If you end up at a bar every night here, that certainly would be sad. I only went out once in the first month and that was so "average" I haven't been out since. That will all change when I find a bar with a decent pool table though! (different thread).

In summary: CM encourages foreigners to look for other things to do than hang around in bars 24-7, though I'm sure many foreigners manage it anyway.

The Chiang Mai expats club has many groups specializing in a wide array of topics. Google them.

They have a meeting every Saturday of the month at the Shangrala hotel on Changklan 10:00 in the morning. They generally have a speaker and they will cover many different fields.

Not sure where it is but a fellow told me of a bowling alley with a great pool table.

Edited by hellodolly

There are several cycling groups that you could join. For casual riding, go to Tapae Gate any Sunday morning around 730-800 AM and join in. Several other groups ride the Canal Road in the evening, and most bike shops have rides as well. The Expats Club has a hiking club, and the Hash House Harriers are around too. There are also dozens of Thai and Farang motorcycle and 4WD groups. Figure out what you want to do and go find it!

There are several cycling groups that you could join. For casual riding, go to Tapae Gate any Sunday morning around 730-800 AM and join in. Several other groups ride the Canal Road in the evening, and most bike shops have rides as well. The Expats Club has a hiking club, and the Hash House Harriers are around too. There are also dozens of Thai and Farang motorcycle and 4WD groups. Figure out what you want to do and go find it!

Thanks for the info. There seems to be a lot of interesting things to do in Chiang Mai. Is it only foreigners who join those groups or is there also Thais? I don't know Thai yet but I will start learning it when I will be in Thailand.

Renoir

Thanks for the info. There seems to be a lot of interesting things to do in Chiang Mai. Is it only foreigners who join those groups or is there also Thais? I don't know Thai yet but I will start learning it when I will be in Thailand.

Renoir

Renoir.... You can find farang groups and Thai groups. Many of these groups are mostly Thai, but there are usually a few English-speakers in those groups that can help you. I've found all of them to be very welcoming and helpful. What kinds of things did you like to do in your home country? TV members might be able to help you get connected.

The Chiang Mai expats club has many groups specializing in a wide array of topics. Google them.

They have a meeting every Saturday of the month at the Shangrala hotel on Changklan 10:00 in the morning. They generally have a speaker and they will cover many different fields.

Not sure where it is but a fellow told me of a bowling alley with a great pool table.

My son goes bowling regularly with his school-chums, and tells me that both bowling-allies have pool-tables, but the one on the inside of the moat near the NW-corner has more tables, and is also cheaper, than BullyBowl at Central Kad-Suan-Keaw.

Besides the Hasher's there are; hiking clubs, badminton a couple afternoons a week, and a search on the forum here would provide information on the writers club.

Anybody else aware of a chess club or book club in Chiang Mai?

And where is located the Hasher? Is it a bar, restaurant or something else?

Renoir

Besides the Hasher's there are; hiking clubs, badminton a couple afternoons a week, and a search on the forum here would provide information on the writers club.

Anybody else aware of a chess club or book club in Chiang Mai?

And where is located the Hasher? Is it a bar, restaurant or something else?

Renoir

Hash House Harriers

i been thinking to start online seo money earning blood sucking vampire hunting club .. basically

the idea is to get a group of people who

1. Enjoy Pork blood noodle .

2. don't sleep at night

3. enjoy online SEO

4. like to earn money

5. think or feel that the nerdie lifestyle need a wider social circle

anyone ?