Can'T Get Unbuntu To Boot

qualtrough

I have had Ubuntu installed with a dual boot with XP for some time now. I rarely use the XP and haven't had any issues with the Ubuntu. I have not installed any new software or peripherals recently. Last night I used my computer without any issues and shut it down properly, and unplugged the electrical cord. This morning when I started the computer it doesn't not boot. I get a lot of script. Two things that look important to me are:

mounting: no such file or dir

No int found

It ends in initrafs

I am able to open up Windows (using that now) and have shut it down and tried to boot Ubuntu repeatedly but always the same.

I am hoping someone can talk me through this. If anyone makes housecalls in the BKK area I would appreciate details on that in the event I can't straighten this out myself.

I am back on Ubuntu! Normally when I start my computer I see a long list of Ubuntu versions (?), each one followed by a 'Recovery Mode'. If I do nothing it boots with the first one version listed, or I can press Enter if I don't want to wait. This morning I tried other 'versions' (I don't think they are really versions, but they end in different numbers). None of those worked, but a moment ago I clicked on the last one on the list and the initial Ubuntu screen came up. I believe I entered my password as usual, and then the computer rebooted again and I got the Ubuntu opening window again. This time it worked after I entered my password. So for the moment all is well. I would certainly appreciate it if anyone can let me know what might have caused this type of issue, and any steps I can take to avoid a repeat.

I am back on Ubuntu! Normally when I start my computer I see a long list of Ubuntu versions (?), each one followed by a 'Recovery Mode'. If I do nothing it boots with the first one version listed, or I can press Enter if I don't want to wait. This morning I tried other 'versions' (I don't think they are really versions, but they end in different numbers). None of those worked, but a moment ago I clicked on the last one on the list and the initial Ubuntu screen came up. I believe I entered my password as usual, and then the computer rebooted again and I got the Ubuntu opening window again. This time it worked after I entered my password. So for the moment all is well. I would certainly appreciate it if anyone can let me know what might have caused this type of issue, and any steps I can take to avoid a repeat.

my best guess would be a bad cluster on your harddisk - you should run fsck from the live cd, but you can try launching disk utility and checking the disk, i don't think it can be repaired while you are running from it though. you don't say which version you are running but try looking in applications-system tools or system-administration for the utility

k

my best guess would be a bad cluster on your harddisk - you should run fsck from the live cd, but you can try launching disk utility and checking the disk, i don't think it can be repaired while you are running from it though. you don't say which version you are running but try looking in applications-system tools or system-administration for the utility

k

Thanks, will check that out!

If fsck does turn up bad sectors, you should also seriously consider replacing your hard drive. You may already know this, most hard drives have hardware-managed detection and recovery of bad sectors. There is a region of pre-allocated sectors which disk hardware will map bad sectors to. If that region is full and the disk requires filesystem-level repair, the hard drive is well on its way downhill.

Edited by chevyinasia

Hi,

I don't think you have to find a new hard disk, could you please post what version of Ubuntu you are running ?

And what your hardware is, i.e. computer model, brand.

My 'guess' is you received updates and the newest kernel is having some kind of trouble with your pc configuration.

It can almost always be easily fixed.

I too have had a bit of a problem booting with Version 2.26.32-33 of the kernel (once only), though switching off and retrying solved the problem for me. (I run Windows 7 and 32-bit Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx). Your problem may be related to Bug 819610. If the problem has gone away for your oldest kernel version, you might want to try booting to Version 2.26.32-32.