Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

Does anyone know if there has been a warning to expect flooding issued?

I notice that the Narrawat Bridge water level has entered the yellow critical zone, and with the 6 to 7 hour delay in the water from San Sai coming downstream....

http://hydro-1.com/index.php?id=61&rivercode=0602

Mods.. I realise this is slightly tied to the rain thread, but for those of us in flood zones is it ok to keep a river watch / warning thread open?

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the flood map for Chiang Mai. If you live in a shaded area, then the shaded number equates to a height at the bottom of the page that the river needs to reach at Narrawat for a flood to reach you.

I think this is based on the 2005 floods, and I do wonder how incresed building and land raising would effect this.

Iain

floodareamap.pdf

Just a short while ago the river did crest the riverbank here in front of The Pun Pun

At the rate of river rising it should be in the lower back yard in an hour or two......

Now where did I park the ark....

\G

That can't be correct at all....My Thai is poor but CM108 advise "

เทศบาลนครเชียงใหม่ แจ้งระดับน้ำ วัดที่เชิงสะพานนวรัฐ วัดเมื่อ 12.00 น. อยู่ที่ 3 เมตร และคาดว่าในเวลาประมาณ 18.00 น. จะไม่น่าเกิน 3.50 เมตร

โดยคาดการณ์ว่า ในคืนนี้ไม่น่าจะมีการล้นตลิ่ง

and that was at 10 past noon I think.

Perhaps the reporter is not as as close to the Ping as Gonzo though....as I recall it has made it up to the car park near the road once at Gonzo's and CM108 advised that ther was no flooding at all then :)

Edited by mamborobert

Just a short while ago the river did crest the riverbank here in front of The Pun Pun

At the rate of river rising it should be in the lower back yard in an hour or two......

\G

NOAH>>>>>

How many cubits? and btw.... what ever is a cubit ?

\G

NOAH>>>>>

How many cubits? and btw.... what ever is a cubit ?

A cubit is a itsy bitsy teeny weenie ice cube that comes from Cuba......

I thought everyone knew that.... :)

\G

Maybe you could put some flotation on your 3 wheeler :D

Just come back from the Iron bridge (at 6.30pm) the very brown but still majestic Ping (if Gerry Marsden can try and make the Mersey and Merseyside look good cut me some slack) is flowing very freely in the centre and there is about one metre till it would top the lower promenande (sounds nicer than footpath) on teh East side, and then its another metre or so to the road proper. Lots of people driving slowly across the bridge and taking camera photos, but I still managed to get my bbq chicken so despite the throng all was not in vein. There has been a break in the rain and even a patch of blue so I guess it all depends on how much water has to come down and whether it rains/drizzles consistently for the next few hours....but a welcome break nevertheless (or no bbq for me)

One of my Thai friends has told me that they are going to open Mae Ngat dam tonight as the reservoir is full. That could make it interesting in town. All second hand hearsay of course.

We just came back from a visit to the riverbank about 250m south of the Mahidol Road bridge in Nong Hoi. They've done a lot of flood prevention work on the other side of the river there and I can only hope they attend to the west side of the river before too long as despite the flood plain map, I'd say it's only about 50 - 60cms shy of flooding onto the road. While we were there a lad who was fishing also told us that the dam was to be opened.

When you're almost at water level the speed of the current and the amount of debris rushing past is awesome.

One of my Thai friends has told me that they are going to open Mae Ngat dam tonight as the reservoir is full. That could make it interesting in town. All second hand hearsay of course.

We just came back from a visit to the riverbank about 250m south of the Mahidol Road bridge in Nong Hoi. They've done a lot of flood prevention work on the other side of the river there and I can only hope they attend to the west side of the river before too long as despite the flood plain map, I'd say it's only about 50 - 60cms shy of flooding onto the road. While we were there a lad who was fishing also told us that the dam was to be opened.

When you're almost at water level the speed of the current and the amount of debris rushing past is awesome.

All the locals are now saying that they are going to open the Dam just past Doi Saket at midnight. :o

If this is true then it will not be good. One qustion I ask is this tropical storm has been forecast. Maybe they could have released a bit of water earlier as a preemptive measure. Let that wotk its way through the rivers before the rain hit here.

Anyway the Thais here are having a great time catching all the fish and crabs on our streets, they've just had a feast.

Also the Mae Kuang res. if far from full, so no reason at all to release water.

Besides, if they do it will join the Ping well south of the city, they might not like it in Lamphun but it is not relevant for the water level in CM

Besides, if they do it will join the Ping well south of the city, they might not like it in Lamphun but it is not relevant for the water level in CM

Like I said in a previous post about Dams being released it is all hearsay. I haven't been up to the dams in a while so if they are only half full that is good news.

Like I said in a previous post about Dams being released it is all hearsay. I haven't been up to the dams in a while so if they are only half full that is good news.

The guy didn't say which dam it was so who knows? The river is up more than 20cm (to 3.34m) since this thread started this afternoon and continues to rise in Sansai. It's just started to rain again so it's looking a bit like the crunch will come about breakfast time.

Opening the dam at Doi Saket should not effect Chiang Mai City, thats a different flood plain through San Kampang and onto Lamphun.

I have heard that at least one of the Moo Bans, Swirilai 3 has water up to the doors on the San Kampang road, so that cannot be good news.

San Kampang is lower than Chiang Mai.

The criteria to release water from the reservoirs is not how full they are. It's how strong the responsible officer estimates his dam. And that may lay far under 50 % of the capacity of the resorvoir...

Opening the dam at Doi Saket should not effect Chiang Mai City, thats a different flood plain through San Kampang and onto Lamphun.

I have heard that at least one of the Moo Bans, Swirilai 3 has water up to the doors on the San Kampang road, so that cannot be good news.

San Kampang is lower than Chiang Mai.

Im in Karnkannok 1 in San Khampaeng, many sois flooding, Now going down my soi , gonna be a long night.

Why are the latest river levels on the site below forbidden for me too see. Is this a worrying sign.:o

http://www.hydro-1.net/

The info is still there, and updated but you have to tab through different screens.

As there is now a widespread problem (or anticipated problem) they have put several marker stations on one web page (Ping, Wang, Kuang, Pasang etc). They have made an hurly table for today and the next two days

I cannot paste a link as it just has the main web address.

At 11.00pm it was showing Nawarat as being 3.45metres.

They did have this graphic.

cross-ping.gif

It seems that we are only 25cm from the critical, thankfully the rain seems to have held back a bit now....but the stuff from San Sai still has to come down so I am more concerned about how quickly the Ping discharges (and where).....

Edited by mamborobert

Looks (thankfully) like my 60cm estimate was wrong yesterday - it's risen a lot in Nong Hoi south of the bridge but still has about 30 cm to go. These pictures are of the area adjacent to the bridge looking east and show that there isn't much leeway there either.

i-dhr4xL7-XL.jpg

i-n3cnCVB-XL.jpg

i-5QJ8Fvd-XL.jpg

i-qRs9xQV-XL.jpg

Flooding in Pai according to the television news. Gonzo... Do you have an evacuation plan there?

It was flooding a bit (not there but seen photos on Facebook) but not as bad as in the great floods a few years ago. River level is very high, some light flooding, and of course as to be expected bamboo bridges and those straw hut guest houses right new to the river damaged.

Pai July 31, 2011

post-20814-0-45619100-1312253949_thumb.j

CM seems to be fine now. Yesterday the canal road canal was close to overflowing in the morning - 5 - 10 cm under some bridges - then very low towards the evening - sure looks like the authorities are doing a good job preventing flooding, really, I can only imagine that extremely high level was due to draining a dam somewhere.

Chiang Mai Canal Rd @ Suthep Rd August 1, 2011:

post-20814-0-39044000-1312254021_thumb.j

That CM flood map posted above was very interesting, thanks a lot for that. Does anyone have historic flood levels in the ping river?

We just bought some land at the very outskirts of the flood zone near HD road. In my estimate we should be OK if we raise the land by 80cm or so, then we should be well above any flooding. We were planning to do this anyway because that's what some of the neighbors in that moo baan had done and we figured there was probably a good reason... ;)

Edited by nikster