Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gonzo.

re ... what time we think it will break under and through the 3.00 on the way down....

Gonzo's pick is tomorrow at 11AM..

i think thats a bit optomistic but i hope your right.

heres the level at 1 pm today.

if it doesnt rain before 9 pm ill pop down to see what its doing before i hit the bars for the first time in about four days

dave2 ... missing his people watching : (

post-42592-0-80462200-1315397570_thumb.j

Regarding when the 3.00m river level will be reached, the TV hydro experts say:

Naboo 8 AM

Loaded 9 AM

no guess 10 AM

Gonzo 11 AM

RTD 12 Noon

Lizard 12 Noon

Dave2 1 PM

DaveOxon 1 PM

The river as reported in the 9AM Hydro report is 3.02

...and would you believe no one picked 10AM

Pretty shrewd of me, doncha think :D :D

Lets see what 10AM reports , maybe a mini-tsunami is on the way

G

Regarding when the 3.00m river level will be reached, the TV hydro experts say:

Naboo 8 AM

Loaded 9 AM

no guess 10 AM

Gonzo 11 AM

RTD 12 Noon

Lizard 12 Noon

Dave2 1 PM

DaveOxon 1 PM

The river as reported in the 9AM Hydro report is 3.02

...and would you believe no one picked 10AM

Pretty shrewd of me, doncha think :D :D

Lets see what 10AM reports , maybe a mini-tsunami is on the way

G

2cm short of the jackpot :(

The river seems to be excellently managed in Chiang Mai this year.

Edited by Loaded

Just returned from south of Hang Dong through some of the heaviest rain I have seen here.It was headlight time.Just hope it hasn't fallen north of CM ,if it has ,good luck.

The heaviest in many years, quite something!

Yes, and it lasted 15 minutes. :lol:

Edited by Semper

Just returned from south of Hang Dong through some of the heaviest rain I have seen here.It was headlight time.Just hope it hasn't fallen north of CM ,if it has ,good luck.

Yes, and it lasted 15 minutes. :lol:

Usual TV sarcasm it wasn't 15 minutes where we were ,hopefully it was only local.

Yes I had the pleasure of walking knee deep through the back soi's of Loh Kroh...

Edited by scd

very heavy... and horizontal from the north here

was mopping up 3m inside the house!!!!!

Just read this from Chiang Mai Mail, plus i just checked the Thai Metro last 7 days, i see that the rain is still falling.

Will this water come down to Chiang Mai?

More flash flood warnings The National Disaster Warning Centre has issued a warning for flash floods that could possibly be triggered by further torrential rains on Tuesday, September 13, 2011. Chiang Mai was included in the list with other Northern and Central provinces like Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Lampang, Lamphun, Uttaradit, Tak, Kamphaeng Phet, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Phichit and Phetchabun.

Authorities have issued warnings to residents living along foothills to watch out for landslides as well as flash flood warnings for those living near waterways. Thunder showers are forecast for the rest of the week with some chance of clearing predicted by Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

How is it looking Gonzo? I see we are back into the flashing yellow warnings. 3.18m at 6am.

Is Sacred Heart School in the flood zone?

Water in my backyard now ...... but what concerns me is the amount of the jump in just the past hour from 6AM to 7AM from 3.18 to 3.31 m.

Do hope its just a reporting error as I don't ever remember a jump of that amount in just one hour.....

Will make another report later

Gonzo

How is it looking Gonzo? I see we are back into the flashing yellow warnings. 3.18m at 6am.

Is Sacred Heart School in the flood zone?

I would imagine all along the river there would be vulnerable. Montford too.

http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/lmp.php shows there's a lot of rain around including north of CM which could help fill the Ping.

Thanks for the web site.

I have been wanting a working radar to see what it like with the weather. :)

I started a thread on Haitang rains but I see this thread came alive a few minutes after that, so I'll jump in here. The Ping River up near Mae Ngat Dam is higher right now than it has been in 7 years according to the locals, and it is still rising. Looking downstream from the bridge that crosses the Ping headed toward Mae Ngat Dam, the fields have all been overcome by water. I wish I had my memory card adapter to post the photos. Several roads up here in Mae Taeng next to irrigation canals have been breached. The water in them is red so it could be the Ping getting into them somewhere.

All this is well upstream from where the Mae Taeng River joins the Ping. The Mae Taeng River is also running higher than I have ever seen it. (The Mae Taeng River is the one that is diverted to supply the canal that goes through Mae Rim and through the west side of Chiang Mai.) From what I can see up here this morning in Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai has not seen the crest yet.

I THINK WE ARE IN FOR IT, THIS TIME

Red Lights are now flashing on the San Sai Flood Chart

the rate of increase here on the Ping was greater in the last hour than in the 6 7 AM hour

From all indications we may be in for another bad one

Gonzo

Gonzo, hate to say it but you may be right. The levels were still increasing an hour ago up here in Mae Taeng so I expect a steady rise in your numbers there. Lots of debris in the water as well. The rains up here have let up a little but still very steady.

4.20m in San Sai and rising. 3.63m in Chiang Mai and rising quickly (3.70m is flood level). It's going to flood this morning in Chiang Mai. If you are south of the river, sandbag now. The last floods stretched to the superhighway along Kaewnawarat road. Collect your kids if they attend Dara or Prince Royals.

Edited by Loaded

I would say we are in for it.

In all my years here I have never seen the river come up this fast

In any given hour, in the past, a radical jump in river levels would be .04, .05, or maybe even a .07 m level of increase. But look at the level of increase in the past few hours.....(for those of you without access to the flood chart]

6AM to 7AM = .13m

7AM to 8AM = .15m

8Am to 9AM = .17 m

If there is any brightness in the reporting, it would be that San Sai has slowed down in the hourly rate of increase.

I don't know where (if it exists) the pride of workmanship or dedication to ones job lies in the Thai make up

Last night just before midnight the flood chart was at 2.96 and at 3.0 the yellow caution blinking comes on. With a potentially very bad storm about to hit us, the Hydro folks call it a night and no further reports til 6AM where those of us concerned and being in harms way can get no information.

I for one do check the flood chart during the nights, when the river is in a rapidly rising state. Seeing water coming up that fast would surely give concerned folks additional time to take precautionary measures......

Come on Hydro people ....get some pride in what you are doing and show some sense of responsibility

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face