American Sought For Tax Evasion Arrested In Bangkok

george

Owing $45k in taxes is not a crime. Unless you purposely defrauded the government. My guess is this guy maybe owned a small business and was collecting sales tax and not forwarding it to the government and or deducting taxes from employees wages and not forwarding it to the government but even then he would be given an opportunity to pay and make payment as opposed to being prosecuted.

Stealing or defrauding anybody of $45k ($65k in today's world) is not a minor infraction.

Tax evasion is not simply owing taxes ... it means you stole money that belonged to the Government/ Citizens of the US.

With that said, it would not be illogical to assume there is more to this story or that this guy is being looked at for other things or he really pissed somebody off.

Back in the 1995 era of the IRS - there were problems with weird agent behavior. I personally experienced the same thing - Audit and a $36,000 evaluation.

I stayed and visited the IRS office for years to clear it up.

I could see why 99% of people would either pay or move. The only reason I could "hack it" is because of my accounting background.

I am pretty sure I had the edge over the IRS agents as far as education and self study.

This TAX authority - the IRS - is known to make mistakes (many stories from this era - 1995). They made efforts to correct the problems (they said).

I wonder if all the horror stories concerning the IRS hasn't had an affect on the proliferation of small business = the down turned economy.

The guy probably started a small business - hired employees. Even back in the 90's small business is nearly domed to failure. Imagine now days.

I hate to send my Son to accounting school - it was soooo boring.

I hope the message is not: be afraid, don't start a new business.

Anyway - $45,000 in tax evation must be the smallest number possible. Sadly - it is possible.

Must have been the overstay - not the IRS.

Owing money to the IRS and Tax Evasion are very different things. You cannot go to jail for simply owing money. However, they will seize property if over a certain amount. Tax Evasion is a criminal charge which has to do with purposely defrauding the government.

I have to agree with Steele Joe.

Also in case anyone is thinking statue of limitations applies, it does not.

Only if he remained in the US and avoided arrest would it apply.

Actually Statue of Limitations only apply when you have not been arrested or indicted. In other words if stealing a car has a statue of limitations of 4-years and you steal a car and are never accused of the crime then you can come back after 4 years (regardless of where you are) and tell everyone you did this crime without fear of arrest. But if you had been arrested or indicted after stealing the car or charges were filed for your arrest, there is no statue of limitations. In fact, this person can and likely will be charged with unlawful flight to avoid prosecution if he was previously indicted which I am sure he was since the Statue of Limitations for Tax Evasion is 6-years.

I know it's uncool to be a language pedant but sometimes I can't help it (especially when the mistake is so clear and so often repeated):

It's "statute" -- as in a law. (Not "statue" as in a piece of art.)

Sorry. But seeing people post otherwise informed and/or well written posts with this glaring mistake repeated is just too much to ignore!biggrin.gif

what are you talking about.

personal TAX is not in the US constitution, and everyone paying tax to the USA is part of the US Mafia.

USA is a tax free country set by Washington and his friends.

Tax was here to help the USA, and should have been removed.

By paying taxes to these unscrupulous US Alcapones, in fact you are Insulting Washington and spiting to your own face and this is what the US became: 14 trillion of debt and up.:bah:which will become a mega monopoly money printer.

what will happen in the USA very soon? same thing like in Egypt, Lybie, Tunisia, and Syria...it s just a question of time, that people take their guts and go kick some ass.

not true?

Edited by swisstouristpattaya

He should have stayed in Vietnam. I am happy to know that Thailand is getting rid of one more criminal on the run.

I feel so safe now, knowing that a hardened criminal is locked up, don't you? Now where did I put my Tax return form!cheesy.gif

Federal and state governments are desperate for money and so are the people who work for them. Your fine (and/or imprisonment) = their paycheck. Just google up the news story about the Virginia woman who rescued a baby woodpecker from a cat in her father's backyard and was fined $535 (with possible jail term of one year) for violating the federal migratory bird act. Or look at any of the myriad laws, regulations, rules, layers of taxes, and background investigations you must go through in the US to get everything from telephone service to purchasing a box of cold/sinus medicine. Yep, you need to register your purchase because you could be a big time meth manufacturer hoarding Tylenol. Just more reasons for me to live HERE, instead of THERE.

Edited by zydeco

I have to agree with Steele Joe.

Also in case anyone is thinking statue of limitations applies, it does not.

Only if he remained in the US and avoided arrest would it apply.

Actually Statue of Limitations only apply when you have not been arrested or indicted. In other words if stealing a car has a statue of limitations of 4-years and you steal a car and are never accused of the crime then you can come back after 4 years (regardless of where you are) and tell everyone you did this crime without fear of arrest. But if you had been arrested or indicted after stealing the car or charges were filed for your arrest, there is no statue of limitations. In fact, this person can and likely will be charged with unlawful flight to avoid prosecution if he was previously indicted which I am sure he was since the Statue of Limitations for Tax Evasion is 6-years.

I know it's uncool to be a language pedant but sometimes I can't help it (especially when the mistake is so clear and so often repeated):

It's "statute" -- as in a law. (Not "statue" as in a piece of art.)

Sorry. But seeing people post otherwise informed and/or well written posts with this glaring mistake repeated is just too much to ignore!biggrin.gif

You are absolutely right.

So, the guy evaded taxes and fled to Vietnam. Just think. Had he evaded taxes and remained in the United States, he might have become Secretary of the Treasury, just like Tim Geithner.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

He must have been a Republican as Democrats are immune to tax laws ie Charles Rangle and Geitner

Seriously what will it gain a US that needs money to bring back this evasionist. The cost of a trial or incarceration will be more than the amount plus interest. Better to have left him living abroad at no cost to the US. Waste of money the country doesn't have. He wasn't a violent felon, drug lord or a baby raper, why not leave him alone.

He should have stayed in Vietnam. I am happy to know that Thailand is getting rid of one more criminal on the run.

Criminal?cheesy.gif

Yes criminal, the op clearly states he was convicted of tax evasion, therefore he is a criminal.

I am amazed at all he people in this thread trying to make out that the guy did nothing wrong, or is small fry etc etc etc, the guy is a convicted criminal, on the run, knew he was convicted but chose to flee the country, the amount is irrelevant, are people really suggesting the police should have turned a blind eye, its possible the visa overstay came to light which was then followed with the knowledge that he is wanted in the US.

Yet another criminal mastermind off the streets, well done guys, seems like some sort of accidental arrest. Given all the fanfare etc., cumulative cost for this arrest must be huge not to mention the ongoing costs. Give us a break guys, go after the weirdos and real criminals.

he is a real criminal, hence he has a real criminal conviction, then absconded,

don't know about you but to me, he deserves to be arrested, he committed a crime, got convicted for it, and has now been caught. I am pretty sure no great expense was gone into, as someone else alludes to it was probably accidental based on his overstay.

So, the guy evaded taxes and fled to Vietnam. Just think. Had he evaded taxes and remained in the United States, he might have become Secretary of the Treasury, just like Tim Geithner.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

He must have been a Republican as Democrats are immune to tax laws ie Charles Rangle and Geitner

Seriously what will it gain a US that needs money to bring back this evasionist. The cost of a trial or incarceration will be more than the amount plus interest. Better to have left him living abroad at no cost to the US. Waste of money the country doesn't have. He wasn't a violent felon, drug lord or a baby raper, why not leave him alone.

It's about creating a world of fear and control.

They accept losing money on one to make sure hundreds of others allow the government to steal their money.

It is the same way the mob operates with its protection-scheme.

Thai and/or US bashers might want to be a bit more judicious about what they choose to complain about if they care about their credibility or intellectual integrity - it's not like there aren't plenty of legitimate gripes.

To have "intellectual integrity" requires a certain amount of intelligence, something sorely lacking on TV. Anybody making light of this--or actually defending this guy--has some screws loose. The guy committed a serious offense, was convicted, and fled. Open and shut. This dude deserves to do some time in the big house.

tough crowd....

whinging at the authorities for doing their job.

What a cynical ungrateful bunch you are.

I wouldn't call them a "tough" crowd. Bunch of idiots, more like. I tend to believe that people who complain about enforcement of certain laws are themselves engaged in said activity. Sort of like gamblers complaining about gambling laws. Druggies complaining about drug laws. Child molesters complaining about pedophilia laws. And tax evaders complaining about....well, you get what I mean.

You gotta admire the tenacity of the IRS.

Dogding taxes between $1 to $1 million they treat it the same, breaking the law.

I think the IRS would serve as a good example to Thai authorities. Stick to principles and base your decisions more objectively then subjectively.

Edited by smileydude

All this talk of US or Thai priorities makes no sense.

1) The US didn't arrest him, the Thais did.

2) He was wanted on presumably legitimate charges.

3) The Thais happened to have found this guy (through one means or another -- unlikely it was an investigation rather tha a tip-off or happenstance) and arrested him.

4) I think it's a safe bet that this didn't happen:

Thais: "We've got pedophiles, drug dealers, guys who have defrauded the government for millions or this guy who owed $45,000. Which do you want?"

US: "We'll take that last guy you mentioned. Never mind about the others."

Unless you have reason to believe the Thais and/or the US went after this guy instead of a more serious offender, or you think that only certain wanted people should be arrested and returned but not others (a position I'd like to see defended), I don't see any logical reason to complain about this arrest.

Thai and/or US bashers might want to be a bit more judicious about what they choose to complain about if they care about their credibility or intellectual integrity - it's not like there aren't plenty of legitimate gripes.

He's back in America now...

SANTA CRUZ - A 61-year-old man who lived in Aptos and La Selva Beach and allegedly did not pay state taxes during in the late 1980s and '90s was arrested Saturday after he was extradited from Thailand.

Russell S. Broadwell was a sales manager at two software companies from 1989 to 1991 and earned more than $270,000 annually, said Franchise Tax Board spokesman John Barrett. Broadwell did not file state income taxes from 1989 to 1991 and owes the state more than $62,000, tax agents said. Santa Cruz County prosecutors filed a criminal tax evasion complaint against Broadwell in October 1995, and a warrant was issued for his arrest in November 1995, according to court records. Broadwell fled the country after he was notified of the investigation, tax officials said.

Thai authorities recently discovered that Broadwell had overstayed his visa. He was flown from Bangkok to San Francisco International Airport on Saturday and was arrested at the airport, Barrett said.

Continues:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_18641396?nclick_check=1

He's back in America now...

SANTA CRUZ - A 61-year-old man who lived in Aptos and La Selva Beach and allegedly did not pay state taxes during in the late 1980s and '90s was arrested Saturday after he was extradited from Thailand.

Russell S. Broadwell was a sales manager at two software companies from 1989 to 1991 and earned more than $270,000 annually, said Franchise Tax Board spokesman John Barrett. Broadwell did not file state income taxes from 1989 to 1991 and owes the state more than $62,000, tax agents said. Santa Cruz County prosecutors filed a criminal tax evasion complaint against Broadwell in October 1995, and a warrant was issued for his arrest in November 1995, according to court records. Broadwell fled the country after he was notified of the investigation, tax officials said.

Thai authorities recently discovered that Broadwell had overstayed his visa. He was flown from Bangkok to San Francisco International Airport on Saturday and was arrested at the airport, Barrett said.

Continues:

http://www.contracos...?nclick_check=1

Link doesn't work http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18641396

He would owe a lot more than $60k now with penalties and interest. Sounds like they are just talking about what they originally estimated for the 3-years not filing.

But there is more to this story because the state just wants its money and wouldn't file criminal charges unless he refused to work with them on a settlement or payment plan.