Swedish Expat Murdered At Luxury Villa In Phuket

webfact

Swedish expat stabbed to death at luxury villa in Phuket

PHUKET: -- Phuket Police are investigating the stabbing murder of a Swedish man ambushed and stabbed to death as he returned to his luxury villa in Koh Kaew subdistrict last night.

The murder took place in full view of neighbors.

The police identified the deceased as a 25-year-old Swedish national.

The name of the victim is known to the Phuket Gazette, but is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

Neighbors told rescue workers at the scene that a gang of about 12 Thai men were waiting to ambush the Swede when he returned by motorcycle to his home at The Lantern family pool villa complex off Thepkrasattri Rd at about 8pm last night.

The killer used plastic ties to bind the victim's hands, then slashed the right side of his neck as he struggled to free himself, neighbors said.

The killers escaped by scaling the wall of the villa complex. One of the gang held up a motorbike driver at gunpoint and used the vehicle to make his escape, witnesses said.

Among the items collected as evidence was a backpack, Apple laptop computer, and a credit card belonging to the deceased.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-08-02

Note: There have been major updates to the above story. Please read further before commenting. Thank you

Edited by cdnvic
story update

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If the neighbours are witnesses why does it say 'about' 12 men, unless different neighbours counted different amounts,

you would have to guess a warning was the motive as 12 men seems overkill for a theft or burglary, but then again also seems overkill for murder, so maybe it was a warning but he managed to cut the jugular rather than just leave a nasty scar and warning.

With 12 men, they can blame each other, and in the end, nobody will go to jail. The Men in Brown will probably find that the foreigner stole the knife from one of the 12 and slashed himself.

Sorry Zakk, wrong. If one person does not confess, penalty is applied to all concerned.

Had a 2 in-laws in a pick-up (cheap ride to BKK) where drugs were found. 8 got 12 years each, no money for lawyers, driver never faced charges.

With 12 men, they can blame each other, and in the end, nobody will go to jail. The Men in Brown will probably find that the foreigner stole the knife from one of the 12 and slashed himself.

Wow!

TV certainly attracts more than its fair share of insightful, intelligent comments. :blink:

How does this happen in plain view of neighbors? How does this happen in a supposedly guarded Luxury Villa? How do 12 people go un-noticed? He obviously annoyed someone too much, but seriously! How, why, why, why.... It's mind boggling. This illustrates just how helpful Thai's are not in these situations.

This is tragic of course.

But my guess is that this fellow, being young and wealthy, may not

have been as aware of Thai culture as more experienced expats.

I would be surprised if he lived here more than a year or so.

Clearly he insulted [cause a loss of face] or crossed a Thai

not long ago.

Thais are very emotional people and self control is not high on

their list of virtues. Law of the jungle is not far from the reality.

Very sad that someone did not educate this fellow about the dangers

of living here.

And I agree that no one is likely to even be charged much less punished.

Discouraging and deflating piece of news .... to say the least.

Edited by paulfr

It's never random or by chance.

Usually it's:

1- related to money (the Swedish should have been less selfish, "any of your belongings belongs to me")

2- coming from a "relative" (boy friend or girl friend's protector)

3- one of the protagonist has something to do with drugs

In a normal life / environment it's unlikely you'll have problem with Thai people.

This illustrates just how helpful Thai's are not in these situations.

how do you blame to Thai's for not helping? I'm guessing the fact it was a luxury villa in Phuket would indicate most of the guests observing the incident would be foreign, so how exactly can you pick fault with Thais?!

and what exactly, would you have Thai's do in that situation? It sounds like anyone that had tried to intervene would have met the same fate as the poor Swede. Would you die for a stranger?

why do so many people have a go at Thai people all the time?

next you'll be telling me that no-one in England ever gets stabbed, and no-one in the US ever gets shot...

Really Thai Visa - where are the mods?

How many racists comments go unpunished on these boards.

These people are psychopaths

I always know that Thai are the beasts.

do you clowns really think this does not happen in London and New York. Do you think greater numbers never pick on smaller numbers in these places.

If you dont like here LEAVE - simple. I know many Thai's and most are as nice if not nicer than many many wwesterners I have met. Both living here and abroad.

I really thought TV was beter than this. STOP racists comments. Please.

Graham.

Well, what can I say. I always know that Thai are the beasts. This case just proved again it's good idea to left this country.

With that kind of slur against Thai people perhaps it is a god idea that you have left this country.

Hopefully someone will be held accountable, but we all know how the corridors of justice work.

The vast majority of Thai people are gentle and kind.

A tragic situation for the Swedish man, R.I.P. , but what were the reasons he was so grievously assaulted?

Thais are no more vicious than a gang of English high street thugs, or any other nationality for that matter. B)

Really Thai Visa - where are the mods?

How many racists comments go unpunished on these boards.

"These" people are psychopaths

I always know that Thai are the beasts.

do you clowns really think this does not happen in London and New York. Do you think greater numbers never pick on smaller numbers in these places.

If you dont like here LEAVE - simple. I know many Thai's and most are as nice if not nicer than many many wwesterners I have met. Both living here and abroad.

I really thought TV was beter than this. STOP racists comments. Please.

Graham.

Huh? You think the people that did this AREN'T psychopaths?

It's hard to steer clear of commenting on Thais because it is the Thais that are involved. Hardly being racist.

Luxury villa

like moths to a flame

home invasion

theres no conspiracy

on another note

my neighbour, a woman, had her head bashed in by 2 cockroaches who stole her bag, visa, phone etc

excessive violence - really excessive - they used the hand gun butt to bash her head and face

a taxi driver took her to hospital

1 minutes work but she will take 6 months to recover

its not a matter of if but when

This was no random attack. Sounds like gang/mafia stuff with so many attackers. they left his apple computer so a hit, not mugging. this person was wanted by someone. 25yrs old with a luxury villa, so wealthy for such a young person.we'll see what he was up to as the investigation unfolds (may be). has obvoiusly upset someone with connections.

RIP young man & dont piss people off again!

After living here for 7 years (and being a typical Westerner where we are use to showing our anger or expect the same "rules" in a different culture/country) I have the "knowledge" one needs realize that the Thais may seem to be passive, smiling people, but you don't want to piss them off...then their anger can turn into rapid rage. This murder is another reminder to tread gently around them when upset about a business transaction or a simple confrontation.

You know something seriously wrong with Thailand - expats retire there to get away from crime in Aussie/ USA pommy land etc / all the crap etc =- what a race of dickheads where they murder thier own meal tickets !!!!! and nobody is safe ''land of smiles and she'll be right '' ok when does it all get cleaned up ! i seen all the red shirts there when i stayed last year for awhile - what a scaremongering lot of crap that was '' red shirts about as dangerous as a stone garden gnome ! yet they shut down towns ohh gosh!!!! in one way i see violence there as a lot of crap! then you see some expat 25 murdered by Thais for what ??? they don't steal his loot or credit card = then whats the purpose ? since when did a Thai man ever give 2 tosse's what a westerner did ??

Something seriously wrong here Thais must be dumb eh ?

(1 Thailand without westerner - like a rolls royce with no motor - no dollars to drive it - so you look after 'your meal ticket ( dickheads - you dont kill it ) as without him you got a big percentage of nothing = tis fact ! ( they cant count eh ) everything is a quid these days sad but true -so you dont kill it -------what the way the world is!!! down to its last 2 cents ! what do Thais do ''doh we ''not want ferlang'' --thats ok we'd rather eat grass = dickheads ! you cant have the $$$ without the man sorry it don't work that way ---you embrace his money, he's the boss and you embrace his ways ! - thats the law of the jungle !

Yes thats the shot'' now Thailand scare's away the Swede tourists thats the way eh !----------iriots''''' you embrace the dollars'' --------------hellloooo))))) you don't chase it away ! i mean who cares what he did ? whats the worst he could have done -slept with 4 tarts in a week - no crime in that ! He'd not be stealing---- nothing there you'd risk jail for !!!! lol ----------

Nothing in Thailand where a Thai could justify murder ! if you read travel brochures - and believe them!! then nothing happens in Thailand as to what we read here today hmm--- somebody is telling fibs !

But hey Thais gottu wake up my friends western man unless its paedephile well in Thailand he should never be upset by anybody because i mean 90% westerners living there doing the Thais a favour ! most get robbed for the favour ?- be me if i was a Thai id be to scared to say ''boo '' to western guy '' let alone attack it - maybe they are just total nut cases -thats easy fixed just lock em all up , or bump em off ----------i mean who's going to miss them !

Hm strange place with a lot to learn -about - who's paying your way in life !----------old analogie applies man with the $$$$ makes the rules!! the rest bow the head and follow !

stevo52

Sorry Zakk, wrong. If one person does not confess, penalty is applied to all concerned.

Had a 2 in-laws in a pick-up (cheap ride to BKK) where drugs were found. 8 got 12 years each, no money for lawyers, driver never faced charges.

Let's see, just yesterday we read about the 2 Dutch boys getting the crap beat out of them by a gang of minibus drivers in Phuket. And today we have a Swedish national, only 25, being murdered in broad daylight, and in plain sight, in Pattaya. Really good for the tourism image.

Someone needs to start collecting all these stories about Phuket & Pattaya and then email them to every travel agency they can find. Maybe then the agencies will actually start discouraging people from going there. This isn't 15-20 years ago when things like this could be covered up or kept quiet. Today things get emailed, Tweeted, Twittered and Facebooked, quick, fast and in a hurry! Maybe in a few years when these two places have actually become a "no travel zone" to tourists, and there's no more money to fleece, things will start to change. But I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime.

Well, what can I say. I always know that Thai are the beasts. This case just proved again it's good idea to left this country.

I have to say a number of friends who have been here for many years and love the place, are now making serious plans to leave and move to pastures new. All of them have different reasons for leaving but one common theme is the rise in crime and criminality, the lack of policing or law enforcement and the view that foreigners are fair game for exploitation and the like.

The criminal cancer is eating away at Thailand's historically peaceful social fabric and no ones seems to worry, providing they get their share of the spoils. It makes you wonder what Thailand for all its charms will be like in ten, twenty years time? Paradise lost perhaps?

Feel very sorry for this young man, condolences to his family for a life stolen in its prime

how do you blame to Thai's for not helping? I'm guessing the fact it was a luxury villa in Phuket would indicate most of the guests observing the incident would be foreign, so how exactly can you pick fault with Thais?!

and what exactly, would you have Thai's do in that situation? It sounds like anyone that had tried to intervene would have met the same fate as the poor Swede. Would you die for a stranger?

next you'll be telling me that no-one in England ever gets stabbed, and no-one in the US ever gets shot...

Maybe because 12 Thai cowards tied this young man and slit his throat. Usually an overkill of Thai staff at these accommodations as well but don't act as the poor innocent Thais are being rained on. Happens all the time here. Just had my guests stay way clear of Phukette and gave them strong warnings about the hotel in Chiang Mai. Not a safe place!

Lets just say that usually in most cultures they dont attack in packs like mad dogs .

Lets hope its never your turn and you dont get to see people who dont give a shit stand around and watch you die

This is tragic of course.

But my guess is that this fellow, being young and wealthy, may not

have been as aware of Thai culture as more experienced expats.

I would be surprised if he lived here more than a year or so.

Clearly he insulted [cause a loss of face] or crossed a Thai

not long ago.

Thais are very emotional people and self control is not high on

their list of virtues. Law of the jungle is not far from the reality.

Very sad that someone did not educate this fellow about the dangers

of living here.

And I agree that no one is likely to even be charged much less punished.

Discouraging and deflating piece of news .... to say the least.

You make all them asumtsions from what ?

HAVE TO AGREE WITH JOHN CLARK I TOO HAVE FRIENDS BEEN THERE FOR YEARS and for some reason crime just appears to arrive at there door regularly ?? - always for money / scam etc - for some queer reason its rare to find westerners , just left to quietly live in peace. Thais- could clean it up but the Corruption Elephant its to big, Thais happy to sacrifice bodies for dollars! my two friends there the last 12 months are looking for a more sedate / trusting place to live, its no longer Thailand !

Just greed and scam thats wrecking the place - nothing else just greed !

Lets just say that usually in most cultures they dont attack in packs like mad dogs .

Lets hope its never your turn and you dont get to see people who dont give a shit stand around and watch you die