Looking For Dvd Player Recommendations

Sure

I'm looking for a locally available DVD player, budget up to Baht 5,000.

I'd like it to be region-free and it will also be my main CD player, so would lke it to be good sound quality for music.

Would appreciate any recommendations.

DVD players do not generally have "good sound quality for music" unless you are ready to pay serious money

though there are occasional exceptions.

What HiFi can give you some pointers.

My advice is go and look round the various shops in your area, armed with your favourite DVD

and CD's then look and listen for your self.

DVD players do not generally have "good sound quality for music" unless you are ready to pay serious money

though there are occasional exceptions.

Use a digital output (HDMI, SPDIF) and connect to a digital amp. Even a very cheap DVD player will give the best possible output this way (unless the device is so crappy that it cant play disks at all).

Assuming that he is using the player with a recent flat screen and/or digital amp the OP should get a DVD player that has an HDMI output as this will provide the best video quality also.

And the best solution would be to get a BluRay player like the basic Philips models which can be made region-free for DVD and will provide very good upscaled video and perfect audio output via the digital connections. You can get these for the 5000B mentioned; saw one the other day in Powerbuy. This is what I would do if I didnt use my PC for all my audio/video playback (via HDMI to amp and screen).

For sound quality, the catch is really to find a unit that has a good D/A converter whether the conversion is done in the player or by the amplifier / receiver.

I suppose you already have an amplifier or a receiver already. It that unit has a decent D/A-converter you should most likely let it do the conversion for you as it is unlikely a 5,000 baht DVD-player comes with a good converter. If both units have HDMI outputs / inputs, fine use that connection buy don't buy a crappy cable. If one, or both, of the units are missing HDMI chose a coaxial connection and stay away from the optical as they are crap for sound quality.

If you can stretch your budget to 20,000 baht the best buy today is probably the OPPO BDB-93. Piyanas sells that one for 19,900. It is actually a killer for that price.

• 2 weeks later...