Calling Free Through Gmail Now In Thailand

greatjob

I just saw that a few hours ago. This is great as before a vpn was necessary.

It's not quite free to call Canada and the US,but it's only 1c a minute.

>>United States star_on_unselected.giffree from the U.S. & Canada

$0.01 from everywhere else

I called free to the US last night. I tried 3 numbers and all were free and I am in Thailand without a VPN.

Could that be a mistake? I did change my setting to be "US Language" though

GJ

That sounds correct. I think that it's in the other direction that you get charged - use Google Voice to call to a landline or mobile phone in Thailand (instead of in the US) and it won't be free.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use A Google Voice Number From Outside The US

How to Get Google Voice outside the US?

There are however some simple workarounds that will help you enable Google Voice from anywhere outside the USA. I activated Google Voice from India but the same procedure should work with other countries as well.

Step 1: Get a US Phone Number. This process should not take more than five minutes.

Step 2: Download and install Hotspot Shield (make sure you decline the optional toolbar). This is required because you can’t sign in to Google Voice from a non-US IP address.

[*] Hotspot Shield may insert audio ads in websites which are annoying but the reason I recommend it is because the software requires no configuration, and you can easily disable it with a simple right click.

Step 3: Start Hotspot Shield, if it’s not already running on your system, and then visit IP2Location to confirm that your location is listed as “United States”. If not, disconnect your current Hotspot Shield session and reconnect to get yourself a new IP Address.

continued http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/01/use-a-google-voice-number-from-outside-the-u-s/

I just checked again today to see if the Call icon appeared in my Gmail "without VPN" and it does appear today in 1 of the 4 gmail accounts the wife and I have. The last time I checked was a few days ago and it would not appear unless VPN was turned on.

As you will see in this thread I have made several posts saying I still don't have the Call icon unless I turned on VPN and got an U.S. IP address....and all of that was true until I checked again today on "one" of my gmail email accounts (the other accounts are setup identically to include the required add-in drivers but don't get the Call icon without VPN).

Ok, back to the one gmail account that does have the Call icon without VPN use. Google Call does want me to Add Credit before I can complete a call...when dialing a U.S. number it rings once and then the message pops up I need to add credit. So, it appears Google is detecting I have a Thailand IP address and I will need to add credit to call the U.S. "if not using my VPN." However, as I posted earlier when I turn on my VPN which gives me a U.S. IP address it does not ask for any credit when dialing a U.S. number...the call goes through no problem.

So, the change for me today is the Call icon is appearing in my Gmail menu now on 1 of the 4 gmail accounts used by the wife and I...and using the Call function on that one account should work fine to call the U.S. if I add some credit. But since I have VPN I'll just use the Call function with VPN turned on and do the calls free.

Well, about an hour ago when going into one of four gmail accounts that had the Call icon, the Call icon was no longer there. Logged off gmail, closed and reopened my browser, logged back onto my gmail account, and still no Call icon. I thought to myself this is just like another semi-recent ThaiVisa thread on Google Call where some people had the Call Icon for a few days or weeks and then it disappeared.

So, I logged off gmail and then turned on my VPN which gives me a U.S. IP address. Logged back onto gmail account and there was the Call icon. As a test, I called my own VOIP phone number (VOIP server in California) from my Bangkok home and talked to my wife a few minutes who was upstairs with the VOIP phone and I was downstairs using laptop for the call....she said I sounded clear and she sounded clear. She hung up and then I called back and left a voice mail...then I went upstairs and listened to the voice mail--it sounded just fine. I then called a number in Hawaii where I knew I would get an answering machine response and that Please Leave a Message and I'll Call You Right Back answering machine message sounded just fine.

I logged off my VPN and then went back into gmail and there was the Call icon. Strange. First the icon wasn't there without VPN....then the icon was there without VPN. Was gmail still remembering my IP address from my very recent logon via VPN which was an U.S. IP address or ????? But anyway the two Google Calls I made went right through and had very good voice quality. I'm on a True cable internet 20Mb plan.

Edited by Pib

Well, about an hour ago when going into one of four gmail accounts that had the Call icon, the Call icon was no longer there. Logged off gmail, closed and reopened my browser, logged back onto my gmail account, and still no Call icon. I thought to myself this is just like another semi-recent ThaiVisa thread on Google Call where some people had the Call Icon for a few days or weeks and then it disappeared. .

Just make sure you have your Gmail view setting to "standard" and not "basic HTML." The calling function will not appear if your view is set to basic HTML, which is those with slower internet connections. The toggle buttons are at the bottom of the Gmail inbox page.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Well, about an hour ago when going into one of four gmail accounts that had the Call icon, the Call icon was no longer there. Logged off gmail, closed and reopened my browser, logged back onto my gmail account, and still no Call icon. I thought to myself this is just like another semi-recent ThaiVisa thread on Google Call where some people had the Call Icon for a few days or weeks and then it disappeared. .

Just make sure you have your Gmail view setting to "standard" and not "basic HTML." The calling function will not appear if your view is set to basic HTML, which is those with slower internet connections. The toggle buttons are at the bottom of the Gmail inbox page.

Yeap, it was and is set to Standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Google Voice currently being tested in Europe ahead of international launch

Google is currently ‘dogfooding’ its telephony service Google Voice ahead of a planned European launch, the company’s European Director of Business Development, Jens Redmer has just told The Next Web.

Redmer made a surprise appearance at the European Pirate Summit event in Cologne, Germany today to hold an ‘Ask Google’ session for the attending entrepreneurs. One question regarded when Google Voice, the telephony service offered in the US, would be more widely available. Redmer said that the company is taking “concrete action” on bringing Voice to Europe.

Redmer couldn’t give a precise launch date, noting that Google doesn’t preannounce products. He said that the launch didn’t only rely on engineers porting the product to work outside the US, but that telephony services additionally have potential legislative hurdles to pass.

http://thenextweb.com/google/2011/09/20/google-voice-currently-being-tested-in-europe-ahead-of-international-launch/