Thailand's Tourism Arrivals Up 66 Percent In May

webfact

Thailand's tourism arrivals up 66 percent in May

Tourism arrivals to Thailand jumped 66 per cent in May, compared with a year ago when Bangkok was in the grip of anti-government protests that left 92 dead, the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) said Wednesday.

Thailand's gain in tourists in May was the steepest in South-East Asia, which was the fastest-growing region of the Asia-Pacific that month.

South-East Asia recorded a 16-per-cent increase in arrivals in May boosted by a 66-per-cent rebound in arrivals to Thailand, a 37-per-cent rise in Vietnam, 33 per cent in Myanmar, 12 per cent in Cambodia and 11 per cent in Singapore, PATA said.

"A lot of that increase came from Thailand, because of the very poor performance it suffered last May," said John Koldowski, PATA's managing director of strategic intelligence.

In May, more than 1.3 million foreign tourists visited the kingdom, compared with 826,000 a year ago, he said.

In April-May 2010, Bangkok was the scene of daily anti-government protests that erupted into bloody street battles with security forces that left 92 dead, about 2,000 injured and parts of the capital in flames.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-03

so how does it compare with the year before?

May 2009 - 1172310...persons

thanks, so 1,300,000 - 1,172310 = much less than 66% increase I imagine.

Putting out figures like this to make the public think that really there has been a gigantic increase, when its only comparing the shizen month of last year. whats the point, do these people think we swallow their ridiculous misleading portrayal of tourism, we get enough from TAT. wouldn't it be nice if they came clean and give us true figures of real tourists=YES==holiday makers not including migrant workers=visa runs=domestic movements=

people only have to look around, Thais are suffering because of the strong bht and other disturbances and it's low season. I wonder what next months saga will be.

I realize they were comparing to the war month, that's why I asked about a year with a month of may without a war, but I am sure you figured that out. ;)

I answered to you-in talking about the situation-tourism figures, I didn;t mean to question your figures and understood what you meant and rightly so, it was my bashing at the constant distorted stats and figures these tourism bodies produce from time to time. They seem to want to portray all the time that tourism is flourishing when the world knows different. I think the figures are sent to the top department so the powers that be retain their jobs :lol:

Country man, TAT wants to show off comparing this may to last-which isn't really a fare comparison IMO.

What they should have wrote is "tourism arrival figures for May show rebound and continued grow exceeding 1.3 million, a 66 % increase over protest stricken last may and an XX % increase over 2009.

Instead they went for the home run headline that is par for the course and undermines credibility.

Ok, din din time :)

Country man, TAT wants to show off comparing this may to last-which isn't really a fare comparison IMO.

What they should have wrote is "tourism arrival figures for May show rebound and continued grow exceeding 1.3 million, a 66 % increase over protest stricken last may and an XX % increase over 2009.

Instead they went for the home run headline that is par for the course and undermines credibility.

Ok, din din time :)

agreed-sort of what I said,===supper time for us oldsters :lol:

I'm surprised they can afford to pay these news reports with how much crap they print in these Thai Newspapers I for one never buy a paper here... Has any real justice been served here in Thailand for when they closed the airport down in 2008 or has it just been sweep under the carpet like everything else … :whistling:

Edited by nicky1982

I'm surprised they can afford to pay these news reports with how much crap they print in these Thai Newspapers I for one never buy a paper here... Has any real justice been served here in Thailand for when they closed the airport down in 2008 or has it just been sweep under the carpet like everything else … :whistling:

Yes. It has. Various cases currently going through the courts.

Those court case then ................................... can we expect a result anytime this side of the next millenium or is my usual optimistic streak running away with me?

At least Goerbels had the decency to say that if you're going to tell a lie - tell a big one.

Even the Thai lies pale into insignificance leaving the rest of us to shrug it off and wait for Thaksin's return Party.

Another court case, example of Thai justice.

Of course it is.

And finally 66% of those interviewed said they never gave interviews of which 98% were undecided, 47% wouldn't be influenced and 99% would never be affluent.

But then that's how the Thais want it, proving you can keep a good man down and up to the knees in muddy water making rice nobody wants for tuppence a month until he pegs out knackered, worn out and old before his time aged 42.

Third world then.

But boys with little toys and road rage in spades.

Edited by housepainter

I realize they were comparing to the war month, that's why I asked about a year with a month of may without a war, but I am sure you figured that out. ;)

The tourist arrival figures for year 2011 has not been compiled yet. A little something to do with us still in 2011 :)

The article is about the figures (alleged) for May 2011, something to do with us now being in August.

I'm out of touch with the visa run scene but... I entered Thailand last month at the wonderous Poi Pet border. When I flew out 16 days later I was told that I had overstayed by 2 days. I had presumed that I'd have been given 1 month. Maybe this change in policy could increse (distort) the figure for tourists entering Thailand. Maybe they could work out is the number of 1st time visitors which may give a more accurate picture of LOS popularity.

I am trying to locate accomodation for an acquaintance for Christmas. All of the preferred places I use, are already booked for Christmas. For the past two years, I had my pick of anything at low prices. Not now. Accomodation and flight prices are way up. I think the market is rebounding. The Japanese had withdrawn from the tourist market in March, and many EU residents had cut back over the past 2 years. I believe they are back in the market along with the Australians.

.I used to be able to snag a 1 way biz class flight BKK to an east coast USA transit hub for $1800 US for the past 2 years. The demand for flights is way up despite the same seat capacity. Same flights are going for $3500 US. I anticipate a very busy high season this year.

there's something pathological in the thai psyche. in other asian countries when they can't cover up anymore the government's BS they simply admit their mistakes and make some heads rolling, in thailand this never happens, they would make yet another coup rather than admitting the tourist sector is going down the drain because of widespread scams, overpricing, and third world service industry sold at premium prices. thinking about it, i never ever in my life heard a thai saying he was wrong, if you're lucky they will say they're sorry or blame somebody else.

The tourist arrival figures for year 2011 has not been compiled yet. A little something to do with us still in 2011 :)

The article is about the figures (alleged) for May 2011, something to do with us now being in August.

Agreed. This article is about figures. I would guess that tousist would be comming into Thailand via the main airport as I don't think Cambodians fall under that group. That gives me 41935 tourists per day at the airport and 104 full 747's landing in Bangkok per day. Haven't seen before. It'll make a VISA run look like a piece of cake.

TAT may be working in 2011 but politically the rest of the country is stuck circa 1215. The barons still hold sway.