Broadband In Chiang Mai

xandreu

Hi all

I'm moving into a condo at the weekend. First time I've ever rented my own place in Thailand.

When I went to look at it I told the landlady I wanted to set up my own internet connection instead of using the wi-fi for the building. She showed me an Ethernet socket in the wall and said all I have to do is arrange it and it's a simple case of an engineer coming out and switching it on.

This is where I reach the extent of my knowledge about broadband in Chiang Mai.

So firstly, can anyone recommend a fast and reliable internet company? The condo is near the Kad Suan Kaew shopping plaza on Huai Kaeo Road, if location makes any difference. The faster the better.

Secondly, I'm only renting for six months. Will that be a problem? I mean, will I be expected to sign a 1 year contract with the internet company?

Thirdly, does the Ethernet socket plug straight into my computer or can I still use a router? I have 2 computers and an iPhone, so will need to connect both computers to the internet as well as have wi-fi for my iPhone.

Fourthly, (if there's such a word?) How do I pay the bill for it? I've seen payment booths that look like they're from internet/phone companies in shopping malls. Do I just go to one of those to pay? Can I go to one of those to ask them to set it up?

Thanks

True cable internet should be available in that area, if not 3BB has pretty good service around there. Not sure about the short term contracts, you'll have to check with them directly. I know many have the option to move the service when you move, but who knows if the new area will have the same service.

Along with the company tech coming to run a line into you condo, you will need some way to set up a wireless signal. You're going to have to get a wireless router that will connect into the cable modem/adsl modem that the company will provide. The ethernet lan connection your landlord pointed you to may be useless, unless they allow the tech access to where the line comes from.

You can pay at any almost any kiosk or by internet banking. I believe most of the major internet companies have a presence in Kad Suan Kaew, where you can ask if they have it at your condo and how much.

good luck

Hi xandreu,

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. Arrived from the uk last week, first time in Thailand and I move into a condo in Hillside 4 on a 6 month lease tomorrow. The one thing I need to make sure is that I can get reliable internet access.

Let me know if you want to take a trip to Kad Suan Kaew in the next couple of days to see what the best broadband options are. I'm pretty clueless about everything at the minute and still finding my feet, but between us we might be able to find the answer!

Matt

True cable internet should be available in that area, if not 3BB has pretty good service around there. Not sure about the short term contracts, you'll have to check with them directly. I know many have the option to move the service when you move, but who knows if the new area will have the same service.

Along with the company tech coming to run a line into you condo, you will need some way to set up a wireless signal. You're going to have to get a wireless router that will connect into the cable modem/adsl modem that the company will provide. The ethernet lan connection your landlord pointed you to may be useless, unless they allow the tech access to where the line comes from.

You can pay at any almost any kiosk or by internet banking. I believe most of the major internet companies have a presence in Kad Suan Kaew, where you can ask if they have it at your condo and how much.

good luck

I just moved into a new condo building off Canal Road which provides its own free Wi-Fi, but after living here for about three weeks now, I've concluded that the Internet reliability is pretty bad. The building management is recommending that I try 3BB on a 1-year contract (which is OK with me as long as I can transfer the service elsewhere in Chiang Mai if I happen to move), but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with 3BB, good or bad? Up until now, I was using True Internet in Bangkok, which was reasonably reliable, but I'm a little concerned about committing to a 1-year contract with 3BB if their service is dubious. CMSteve (or anybody), any thoughts on this? :rolleyes:

All the internet companies and really really good and really really bad. All depends on where you live(how far from the company's infrastructure). I have TRUE at one location because it has the better service there, but its horrible at another location so I use 3BB there. Only advice I have is to ask your neighbors. They are the only ones that can give you a real idea of who has what.

good luck

I just moved into a new condo building off Canal Road which provides its own free Wi-Fi, but after living here for about three weeks now, I've concluded that the Internet reliability is pretty bad. The building management is recommending that I try 3BB on a 1-year contract (which is OK with me as long as I can transfer the service elsewhere in Chiang Mai if I happen to move), but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with 3BB, good or bad? Up until now, I was using True Internet in Bangkok, which was reasonably reliable, but I'm a little concerned about committing to a 1-year contract with 3BB if their service is dubious. CMSteve (or anybody), any thoughts on this? :rolleyes:

I have had my own internet connection installed twice in different apartments, but they used the telephone socket in the room, the socket that would normally have the intercom telephone on it.

The office guy downstairs got someone in to do a bit of 'hokery-pokery' where all the telephone lines are (only took 10 mins) and effectively gave me a normal telephone line to which I just attached a wireless router as normal.

Re contract....I think you will find 1 year minimum and if you leave before you get charged, in my experience.