I Bought A Chevy Cruze

weirdly honda and toyota seem to have a lot of trouble during those 2 years

Anyways only peasants keep their cars for more than 2-3years. I learned that from the thais

They only keep 2-3 years cos they trash them / crash them or otherwise don't maintain them/ Plenty of old, well maintained cars on the road. I think they are not peasants:)

Think the guys name should be ''Bejesus'', neder taut of dat. laugh.png

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my cruze for over a year and unlike with a honda, i have not had to get anything fixed.

Also the dealer treats me like a human being and getting anything out of them does not take 6months+

I've had my cruze for over a year and unlike with a honda, i have not had to get anything fixed.

Also the dealer treats me like a human being and getting anything out of them does not take 6months+

Please report back when you have 200/250K kms on it:) You can't tell reliability from only the first year or two. Most cars are generally ok for the warranty period.

you guys keep moving the goal post. Last year you guys said that I would sell this car in a year. That everything was going to go bad. I remember the guy specifically said that even my speakers would go bad. If I find the page I'll quote it.

Well, here I am, a year and a flood after. Now you want me to put 250,000km on it. My City had 150-160,000km (and that was almost 6 years) when I sold it. I really doubt I will own a car for 10-12 years. The longest I would keep a car is about 7 years or so.

250,000km is 155,000 miles. Even a BMW 7 series will start giving some sort of issues after 150,000++ miles.

Edited by thaicruze

Anyways only peasants keep their cars for more than 2-3years. I learned that from the thais

They only keep 2-3 years cos they trash them / crash them or otherwise don't maintain them/ Plenty of old, well maintained cars on the road. I think they are not peasants:)

Well, that's it isn't it?

My City was the cheapest crap on the lot when I bought it. Just like a Brio today. The engine they don't even make anymore. The iDSI. There were issues with that engine. But, I took it into service at Honda religiously every 10,000km. Any belts or hoses or boots or whetever needed replacing I replaced. It gave me 150,000 km of pretty trouble free riding. If I had treated it like crap I wouldn't have had the same experience.

The same goes for the Cruze.

Oh sure! one year later. Of course your Cruze is fine. Post back in 2022 and let's see then!!

:) You guys are funny.

Edited by thaicruze

Please report back when you have 200/250K kms on it:) You can't tell reliability from only the first year or two. Most cars are generally ok for the warranty period.

you guys keep moving the goal post. Last year you guys said that I would sell this car in a year. That everything was going to go bad. I remember the guy specifically said that even my speakers would go bad. If I find the page I'll quote it.

Well, here I am, a year and a flood after. Now you want me to put 250,000km on it. My City had 150-160,000km )and that was almost 6 years) when I sold it. I really doubt I will own a car for 10-12 years. The longest I would keep a car is about 7 years or so.

250,000km is 155,000 miles. Even a BMW 7 series will start giving some sort of issues after 150,000++ miles.

I think it was your salesman talk and user name that got you some flack. Me included thought you were a salesman. If you are happy, thats OK. smile.png

whatever... i'm a proud peasant. the last car i bought is now 43 years old and i have no intention selling it during my remaining statistical life span rolleyes.gif

whatever... i'm a proud peasant. the last car i bought is now 43 years old and i have no intention selling it during my remaining statistical life span rolleyes.gif

Thats peasant talk. I will send you my old flip flops. laugh.png

I am NOT a Chevy salesman. I'm just a teacher in Thailand and I got a brand new car last year that nobody had at the time, so I want to tell people about it. It is a VAST improvement over the Optra.

If I was out to buy a new one now, I would probably end up with a 2012 Civic and never walk into a Chevy dealer. It was the disappointment over the Civic that made me buy a Cruze.

What I did was take a 375,000 baht loan. I'll finish paying it in 2015. So, I figure if the car turns out to be a lemon, I would at least get enough to pay off the loan. So far so good.

Still, if it turns into a headache in the next couple of years, I will be close to paying it off. I will at the very least get 300,000 for it and go buy something else.

Thats peasant talk. I will send you my old flip flops. laugh.png

Transam, would you mind if i change my TV-handle to BeNaam, NaamJagE or ThaiJag? crazy.gif

I am NOT a Chevy salesman. I'm just a teacher in Thailand and I got a brand new car last year that nobody had at the time, so I want to tell people about it. It is a VAST improvement over the Optra.

If I was out to buy a new one now, I would probably end up with a 2012 Civic and never walk into a Chevy dealer. It was the disappointment over the Civic that made me buy a Cruze.

What I did was take a 375,000 baht loan. I'll finish paying it in 2015. So, I figure if the car turns out to be a lemon, I would at least get enough to pay off the loan. So far so good.

Still, if it turns into a headache in the next couple of years, I will be close to paying it off. I will at the very least get 300,000 for it and go buy something else.

a real car? huh.png

It's weird that I turn my nose up at Chevy's, but at the moment the car I really want (and cannot afford) is the Camaro. Gorgeous car.......must be something to do with Transformers....

Same with Chrysler, wouldn't by any, but the Viper is lovely.

OP, why didn't you get the yellow with black stripes?

Yes, I know, because you are not a child. :-)

• Like 1

Well, at 250 K km, I trust a number of parts will have to be replaced.

For starters the automatic transmission as it hits the 100 K mark, no matter which brand of car is concerned, right? It is obvious that as a car gets older or has driven over a long distance, that the parts will start getting more and more used. The real question is whether you will be hit with quality issues (over minor or major parts, as also finition). Please keep us posted on it.

As to the peasants, I guess that they have at least some financial common sense:

Keeping a car for eight years, rather than five, can reduce median ownership costs significantly to just $7,800 a year on average. This is partially due to lower depreciation costs, and partly a result of keeping the car for a few years after the loan has been paid off.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/06/what-that-car-really-costs-to-own/index.htm

It's weird that I turn my nose up at Chevy's

for 11½ years i was a happy owner of a Callaway Corvette. then we sold our home in Germany. goodbye Autobahn! ermm.gif

Yep,I'd have one of those as well. For some reason a Chevrolet Corvette is a Corvette (or Callaway Corvette for you), a Chevrolet Camaro is a Camaro, but all the rest are (condesendingly) Chevrolets.

It's weird that I turn my nose up at Chevy's

for 11½ years i was a happy owner of a Callaway Corvette. then we sold our home in Germany. goodbye Autobahn! ermm.gif

Yep,I'd have one of those as well. For some reason a Chevrolet Corvette is a Corvette (or Callaway Corvette for you), a Chevrolet Camaro is a Camaro, but all the rest are (condesendingly) Chevrolets.

i didn't mind driving a Caprice (every six months a new one) in the 1970s in Saudi Arabia. had as a private car an old Stingray (i believe it was a 1969) to use on a friday afternoon for a little fun.

It's really only worth selling once it gets to the stage that it keeps breaking down and the inconvenience and cost involved in keeping it on the road. My car has never broken down (engine / gearbox issues) after 200K km, though of course the consumables deteriorate - pads, shocks, rubber mounts, the aircond compressor went also - bloody expensive fix.

43 years old? You sound like an enthusiast! I spent 6000 dollars on an old mini over 10 years and sold it for 400 before I can to Thailand....stupid I know, but that's what we do.

Well, at 250 K km, I trust a number of parts will have to be replaced.

For starters the automatic transmission as it hits the 100 K mark, no matter which brand of car is concerned, right? It is obvious that as a car gets older or has driven over a long distance, that the parts will start getting more and more used. The real question is whether you will be hit with quality issues (over minor or major parts, as also finition). Please keep us posted on it.

As to the peasants, I guess that they have at least some financial common sense:

Keeping a car for eight years, rather than five, can reduce median ownership costs significantly to just $7,800 a year on average. This is partially due to lower depreciation costs, and partly a result of keeping the car for a few years after the loan has been paid off.

http://www.consumerr...o-own/index.htm

My auto, touch wood, is still fine at 202K kms. No slip, no noises, no problems. However I've heard of auto boxes going much earlier than this. But it's true, but 100K or so, parts need to be replaced due to wear and tear.

I don't think I'll keep this car past 160,000 - 180,000 or so. As soon as the fuel economy starts to go, I'm going to look for a new one. At 5 1/2 years my City got 1 day less of fuel and I was driving less than when it was new.

may i assume you are not an automotive engineer? whistling.gif

I have just found out the 2011 Chevy Cruze is exceptional. Was looking at information on a Scanguge 2 and for 2011 it works with everything, except the Cruze. laugh.gif

Cheers

And yet the Scan Gauge website says it is compatible with the 2011 Cruze ?

Sure about that? Not according to:

http://www.scangauge.com/support/compatibility/after-1996/

2011 exceptions = 2011 Chevy Cruze.

Cheers

I don't think I'll keep this car past 160,000 - 180,000 or so. As soon as the fuel economy starts to go, I'm going to look for a new one. At 5 1/2 years my City got 1 day less of fuel and I was driving less than when it was new.

may i assume you are not an automotive engineer? whistling.gif

I noticed 2 things as my car got older (even though I serviced it every 10,000 km).

Fuel economy was worse and the engine seemed to have lost horse power. Which seemed like a lot since the car only had 88hp to begin with.

And here I am from my Cruze looking at another Cruze.

EEA4B901-0A24-4291-A73C-A80C4561A672-2334-000004911E8EB446.jpg

Them things is selling like hotcakes!

Thaicruze, if it is for that, I also see plenty of Pajero Sport around... But only in BKK. laugh.png Which is to say the feeble reliability of this finding (could not even distinguish between the year of production just by the sight of it).

And I hardly see any Cruze around. So, I have some reservations on "selling like hotcakes".

Regarding the "loss in power", can you explain better what you mean? How do you observe that? Re. fuel economy, do you drive in the same manner? Have you been more frantic on the pedal since you bought it?

Thaicruze, if it is for that, I also see plenty of Pajero Sport around... But only in BKK. laugh.png Which is to say the feeble reliability of this finding (could not even distinguish between the year of production just by the sight of it).

And I hardly see any Cruze around. So, I have some reservations on "selling like hotcakes".

Regarding the "loss in power", can you explain better what you mean? How do you observe that? Re. fuel economy, do you drive in the same manner? Have you been more frantic on the pedal since you bought it?

Well in some sense the fuel mileage may decrease if the compression drops as it does in older engines and as well the hp drops too.. It is veeery hard for the layman and even the professional to tell without serious equipment to test though, especially if the car is a daily driver and nothing to compare directly with..

Edited by WarpSpeed

lol - so, so true. A secretary at the company I work for recently bought a Mazda 2 - her first car - she notched up three collisions in the first month.

Well in some sense the fuel mileage may decrease if the compression drops as it does in older engines and as well the hp drops too.. It is veeery hard for the layman and even the professional to tell without serious equipment to test though, especially if the car is a daily driver and nothing to compare directly with..

Simply installing spring washers under the engine mounts will raise the compression and then he will have both power and economy back.

I was talking about my little City.

Well, as far as the Cruze selling, I saw 5 on my 10 minute drive to my wife's school. and 2 more on my way home.

Simply installing spring washers under the engine mounts will raise the compression and then he will have both power and economy back.

LOL...doesn't the old trick of shaving the head still work on modern cars? Based on my dynomaster gizmo (don't know how accurate it is), I could be down 20HP or more over a new engine). The 0-100 also reflects this. However my butt dyno must be so used to my car, I honestly say I don't notice a lot of difference from new.

I have just found out the 2011 Chevy Cruze is exceptional. Was looking at information on a Scanguge 2 and for 2011 it works with everything, except the Cruze. laugh.gif

Cheers

And yet the Scan Gauge website says it is compatible with the 2011 Cruze ?

Sure about that? Not according to:

http://www.scangauge...ity/after-1996/

2011 exceptions = 2011 Chevy Cruze.

Cheers

My bad, did not see "exceptions" at the top.