Going into early retirement soon I'm considering spending my time on playing the stock market. I've been in LOS long enough to realize that making money on the SET is for the happy few (of insiders) only. Still curious to know if there are members with a different view and positive experience in investing individually or as a group.

Going into early retirement soon I'm considering spending my time on playing the stock market. I've been in LOS long enough to realize that making money on the SET is for the happy few (of insiders) only. Still curious to know if there are members with a different view and positive experience in investing individually or as a group.

smoz,

These days it doesn't matter where you are, you can trade any market. You don't have to only trade the SET because you live in Thailand.

If you are just starting out, my experience - expect daily learning for a good 12 months to find your own place in the markets.

Cheers YBB

These days it doesn't matter where you are, you can trade any market. You don't have to only trade the SET because you live in Thailand.

For DayTraders, it might be useful to live in the same geographical region they trade. That's if they don't want to be called NightTraders :o

For DayTraders, it might be useful to live in the same geographical region they trade. That's if they don't want to be called NightTraders :o

~G~,

Oooohhh well who's the picky one! ...not if you run an automated system! :D

Besides, daytrading is one of many timeframes aye!

Cheers YBB

Edited by Youbloodybeauty

~G~,

Oooohhh well who's the picky one! ...not if you run an automated system! :D

Besides, daytrading is one of many timeframes aye!

Cheers YBB

Edited by smoz

Thanks so far...

And how about all these Thai daytraders (?) spending their days at the offices of their brokers in front of monitors and tickerboards. No doubt you've seen this on TV. Are they closer to the "news"?

Thanks so far...

And how about all these Thai daytraders (?) spending their days at the offices of their brokers in front of monitors and tickerboards. No doubt you've seen this on TV. Are they closer to the "news"?

My own view is that foreigners have no real chance of making money on SET short swings, other than with the intervention of a good deal of dumb luck and that's not much of an investment plan.

On the other hand, we often make good money on the SET by taking a longer view and buying a broad selection of stocks (or one of the many foreign equity funds) to ride through one of the longer cycles the SET throws up with some frequency. I's a good market for the timers to work.

There have been a half dozen opportunities in the past several years to enjoy an up cycle of 20%-75%. Of course, there have also been opportunities to enjoy down cycles of about the same amount but, if you're going to be a market timer, you've got to get it right.

Thanks so far...

My own view is that foreigners have no real chance of making money on SET short swings, other than with the intervention of a good deal of dumb luck and that's not much of an investment plan.

with respect sir, i know for a fact that there are a number of foreigners who are the very architects of many such SET short swings. there are many groups of SET players in town, mostly thai of course, but a few of them actually have foreigners amongst them as key planners and executors. many of these foreigners are ex-wall street types, or ex-bankers from other parts of asia or europe who have made their fortune, are in semi-retirement here, and continue to use their skills here leveraging on their network of thai backers from the corporate world who are willing to come along for the ride.

i am not talking about expat investment bankers working at jp morgan or some such, i am talking about individual dealers who move around without business cards, sit on no boards of directors, a few quiet farang gentlemen you'd occassionally see picking away at the buffet table at corporate cocktails. an incognito cognoscenti.

foreigners stand as much a chance as the average thai punter on the SET. you start off being clueless and impulsive, and after a year or two, you start to read the patterns. an experienced punter does not need to have access to the players network to survive. sometimes you acquire the scent of them through the stock movements and jump on, other times you just rely on your own game.

maybe you want to consider trading foreign exchange, just make sure you have money offshore to do it. More leverage, close your trades by the end of the day :o