Internet Access Via Cell System

MauriceVanTine

Folks

I am going to retire in a few weeks and my wifes and my place are kind of inbetween forams I will be living near Mae Wong National Park. Is there internet service available via cell phone or satellite any information in regards to this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Moe

Hi,

You can connect to the internet using your mobile phone as a modem. Most of the Nokia & Samsung telephones come with software and a USB cable to connect. It can cause your bill to run very high if you are not on the right package. You would obviously have to find out which carrier offers the best signal where you live before even going down this path.

Many carriers offer unlimited internet connectivity, this is not actually true. All will have a fair use policy and you need to look into & understand this before signing up.

It may also be worth considering something like the iPad or Samsung Galaxy Tab, these devices are almost like a tablet computer and are ideal for surfing the net.

Hi,

You can connect to the internet using your mobile phone as a modem. Most of the Nokia & Samsung telephones come with software and a USB cable to connect. It can cause your bill to run very high if you are not on the right package. You would obviously have to find out which carrier offers the best signal where you live before even going down this path.

Many carriers offer unlimited internet connectivity, this is not actually true. All will have a fair use policy and you need to look into & understand this before signing up.

It may also be worth considering something like the iPad or Samsung Galaxy Tab, these devices are almost like a tablet computer and are ideal for surfing the net.

Thankyou much appreciated counting the days.

Moe

With Cell Data it's all about location location location...

You need to ask your neighbors what service providers they get a good signal from (AIS, True or CAT...)... then go buy a cheap sim ~ 50 baht and try the thing out in your Mae Wong barko lounger :D ... If the reception works to your satisfaction look at which data plans suits your needs

Edited by sfokevin

I use a mobile to connect to the internet, AIS 1-2 call do a package (Edge/Gprs) of 100 hours for 350Bhat +vat. I think you will find that AIS have a better signal than Dtac up country.

If you live in an isolated area, and depending if you are surounded by mountains, live on the high ground or down in a valley, you might be advised to get a "wilson signal booster" that works on the 900-1800 frequency. This will help get a clear strong signal. They are available in the USA, or you can order online, but there is only one company that will ship to Thailand. PM me for details.

There are limitations using this system, good for e-mails and surfing the web, sometimes it can be a bit slow loading pages. sometimes the page hangs while loading, so you have to reload the page. It can take upto 30 seconds to load a page, sometimes longer! But don't expect to download large files easily, or streaming. Speeds of 10-20kbites is generally what I get.

I have been using this system for about 2 years now. Works well concidering. Don't go for one of those dongle modems they are too tempramental, better to use a Nokia mobile, they seem to pair up easier than samsung and a laptop.