Nong Hoi - Plaza 89 Area

jimmym40

Would like to know if anyone around that area is/was aware of any flooding the past few days. Particularly down the soi where the police station is located. Were the roads flooded at all at anytime? Thinking about buying a parcel of land just down the street from the police station, near the bowling alley.

> Would like to know if anyone around that area is/was aware of any flooding the past few days. Particularly down the soi where the police station is located.

> Were the roads flooded at all at anytime? Thinking about buying a parcel of land just down the street from the police station, near the bowling alley.

No flooding in that area. There are some Interesting developments in that soi, being so close to town and all. I admit I didn't go there in 2005, so don't know if there was an issue then.

If flooding woudl affect you there it may only be related to getting out of that area; once you get to Nong Hoi interesection and that area roughly in between Chiang Mai Land and Palm Springs, then you may get flooding there in bad years. (though nothing last year, or indeed this year.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

If you are in Chiang Mai, why not just take a trip to that area with a Thai speaker (if you do not speak Thai), and casually ask people if there has been flooding in this area?

Don't mention you are buying land. ph34r.gif

Yes, I am aware this is one of my choices, BUT, have you ever asked for directions from a Thai??? Even if you have a Thai speaking partner. Probably you have, and you know you'll get an answer even if the person doesn't know what you are talking about. Same situation here. I was asking for/to an English speaking audience and first hand knowledge of the situation.

Thanks to those that replied. AND, theos, I did make a trip down there, but it was today, couldn't make it on the flood date. I did not see no evidence of flooding.

No flooding there this year. It's a nice place to live and Plaza 89 is turning into a good local resource with banks, some decent restaurants including Miguel's and the latest addition which is a Royal Project produce outlet adjacent to where they have the twice weekly market. Beware the plot of land where the church is the only occupant - it seems to have put people off and is likely to remain a wasteland for some time.

The bowling alley has recently closed and although I don't know what the plan is, I'm guessing the developer who just completed the mini moo ban next door made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

and the latest addition which is a Royal Project produce outlet adjacent to where they have the twice weekly market.

Where is that? Very interested.

Also Baker Mart (Kitchen Friend) is nearby. I'm turning into quite the baker. ;)

Behind Miguel's on the left, on the corner next door to the new Anime book shop. It's still being fitted out so forget getting any tomatoes this week.

-

No flooding there this year. It's a nice place to live and Plaza 89 is turning into a good local resource with banks, some decent restaurants including Miguel's and the latest addition which is a Royal Project produce outlet adjacent to where they have the twice weekly market. Beware the plot of land where the church is the only occupant - it seems to have put people off and is likely to remain a wasteland for some time.

The bowling alley has recently closed and although I don't know what the plan is, I'm guessing the developer who just completed the mini moo ban next door made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

We eat at Miguels there at 89 Plaza about once a week and we really like the location of the whole area. Alot of activity around there and close to town. Yes, the wasteland soi is a bit scary. Wife and I went back and forth about buying a plot there. But it seems no one else is interested in building there anytime soon. Wonder why the bowling alley closed. And the lady that built thet moo baan next door has built several small moo baan's, very professional and really fast construction. We almost purchased one of her plots that is now fully built up, but we couldn't built our own home, she had to do it for us - wanted 10,000 baht per sq meter to built the house. We kicked ourselves in the you know what for not jumping on one of those lots.

Do you know or anyone know of any vacant building lots in the area. We'd like around 100 sq wah.

Maybe as you said, the lady purchased the bowling alley property, but I imagine it would cost a pretty penny to tear down and make a moo baan out of it. We'll continue looking.

If you are in Chiang Mai, why not just take a trip to that area with a Thai speaker (if you do not speak Thai), and casually ask people if there has been flooding in this area?

Don't mention you are buying land. ph34r.gif

Just noticed this: Why wouldn't you mention you are buying land? Ok, you don't ask the flooding question to the person you're actually buying it from, but when trying to buy anything in Thailand you need to rely somewhat on word of mouth, and get people to find you stuff. Of course they'll get some money out of it too, but that's only fair, and it's an incentive for those people to find you land that meets your requirements. Price wise it's not an issue too, you just tell them what the budget is.