Taxi Situation Update

My wife and I are arriving in a couple of weeks for a short stay in a Chaweng hotel.

The hotel is offering to collect us from the airport for 400 baht one way.

Looking at the map it looks like a very short journey, and $13 rather expensive.

We are not staying in 5* so will it be a lot easier to get a taxi from the airport, and if so what sort of price should we be paying?

For generally getting around the island are there usually plenty of taxis available, and are they metered?

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Baht 400 by a hotel is the normal price, but also depends which part of Chaweng (North or South).

A taxi will likeley cost you the same, and should you arrive late, its better to have the hotel pick you up.

Taxi mostly have meters, but hardly (never) used, it is always up to you to bargain for a price before you get in.

If you plan to explore the island, better rent a car.

Good luck

The price for a taxi from the airport to Chaweng is fixed at 500 bt.

This is the rate you'll pay to the airport staff at the arrival area and I guess the airport gets a cut in that.

There is a van service where you share with other people. It costs only 120 bt to Chaweng and they'll deliver you to your hotel.

The price for a taxi from the airport to Chaweng is fixed at 500 bt.

This is the rate you'll pay to the airport staff at the arrival area and I guess the airport gets a cut in that.

There is a van service where you share with other people. It costs only 120 bt to Chaweng and they'll deliver you to your hotel.

sorry to jump in in all my planing forgot to ask from a price from the airport to new hut bungalows? seen i price list somewhere and it looked around 600baht? though the coaches are cheaper.

if i was u i would rent a car. book online with avis or something with full inssurence. i know it might seem epensive but if u have a crash. u r 100 per cent covered and u don't have to worry about taxis. probably cost u more in the long run and u would see less of samui by getting taxis and son tails evrrywhere. they seems to sniff when they know u don't know what u r doing and up the price.

but if u drink. please don't drive. get a taxi or a songtail the roads are going to be covered in blood this month. as every year in the busy seasonn.

good luck

found this gets you a good idea on the prices

http://www.samuiairp.../transportation

Crikey - that's a useful post. Well done :thumbsup:

This one should be compulsory for all travel agents!

cheers i think so its to prices are spot on, tropicalevo came a cross it when doing my research once i we booked the fly to the island and yes it was a good find i will be printing this off and taking it with us lol

Edited by doingok

found this gets you a good idea on the prices

http://www.samuiairp.../transportation

Crikey - that's a useful post. Well done :thumbsup:

This one should be compulsory for all travel agents!

cheers i think so its to prices are spot on, tropicalevo came a cross it when doing my research once i we booked the fly to the island and yes it was a good find i will be printing this off and taking it with us lol

That's a great link. I just wish I could find one in Thai giving the songtheuw prices around the island. That would be very useful to me if anyone can provide....jap.gif

I just wish I could find one in Thai giving the songtheuw prices around the island. That would be very useful to me if anyone can provide....jap.gif

There used to be one on a big board opposite BigC - just by the Car Lack place. (Where all the motorcy taxis kip after a hard days work - 2 journeys.)

If I get my ar#e into gear, remember the camera, learn how to upload, learn how to mail it, I will send you a picture.:D

I just wish I could find one in Thai giving the songtheuw prices around the island. That would be very useful to me if anyone can provide....jap.gif

There used to be one on a big board opposite BigC - just by the Car Lack place. (Where all the motorcy taxis kip after a hard days work - 2 journeys.)

If I get my ar#e into gear, remember the camera, learn how to upload, learn how to mail it, I will send you a picture.:D

now that sound one i am missing,you can do it itishothere lol

Take the pic...and if you escape alive I will help you...no scrap that I'll get PS or Rooo to help you. How does that sound? biggrin.gif

Yup, I'm ready in my songtheuw camouflage / Motorcy Taxi Jacket in hand just in case. Off we go on a little crusade.

Can we have a pic of you in your jacket?

Go on pleeease! biggrin.gif

yes you must you will be a right chick magnet ph34r.gif that will be so helpful prices on the Songtaew ph34r.gifph34r.gif

30 Baht at Chaweng, 60 Baht Chaweng - Nathon, evening 50 in Chaweng. Even package tourists pay that. So what's the objection with that? Maybe 'cause Patty is 10 Baht? or 15?

Nope. Its because when I get on in Bangrak to the junction for FV they try to hit me for 50. Then I say 20 and we have a stand off. This happens about 50% of the time.

I want a list of prices in Thai so I can point to it and end any 'confusion'.

Don't all Songtheuw have a printed list in the passenger area?

Nathon - Lamai .... 1 arm

Nathon - Chaweng ..... + 1 leg

Nathon - Bophut .... good looking sister

Nathon - Nathon .... you can't afford it mate!

Just do what I do. Give them a screwed up 20THB note and walk away.

Or run.:ph34r:

Don't all Songtheuw have a printed list in the passenger area?

Nathon - Lamai .... 1 arm

Nathon - Chaweng ..... + 1 leg

Nathon - Bophut .... good looking sister

Nathon - Nathon .... you can't afford it mate!

Just do what I do. Give them a screwed up 20THB note and walk away.

Or run.:ph34r:

The last strawfor me was when, having lost a leg, the Thai passenger turned and asked me for the 20 Baht fare as she had forgotten her purse!

As we both got on at the same spot and both she and the driver found nothing wrong in this....it leaves me speechless.

Still waiting for a pic I can download....feel free to PM please.

30 Baht at Chaweng, 60 Baht Chaweng - Nathon, evening 50 in Chaweng. Even package tourists pay that. So what's the objection with that? Maybe 'cause Patty is 10 Baht? or 15?

Nope. Its because when I get on in Bangrak to the junction for FV they try to hit me for 50. Then I say 20 and we have a stand off. This happens about 50% of the time.

I want a list of prices in Thai so I can point to it and end any 'confusion'.

i would like a price list so i will know the price to, instead of being ripped off plus getting an enough info i could write a book lol?

Samui Taxis shouldn't be expensive...I found this announcement in Lamai some weeks ago:

(Picture deleted to save space)

Did anyone tried to call the 1584?

That picture is priceless :shock1:

The problem is in the first paragraph though "the temporary agreement". I belive that agreement lasted as long as the original meeting.:ermm:

Edited by Tropicalevo

Cleveland,

To get back to your question. As you see from the other posts taxis on Samui are not so much fund. I'd suggest go with the hotel transfer. For $13 you will find it much more pleasant on arrival. Nothing worse than taxi problems to spoil your attitude when you arrive on holiday.

I'm doing the hotel transfer both ways now. Much more relaxing and far less hassle.