Snake Skin

owenjones

Brushed against something in the bush or sea?

Definitely not the sea.

Could be a hairy caterpillar, I've had trouble with one before, but I just got a rash.

it is very tender today and has formed a scab along its length.

It looks like a burn, but then we are back to millipedes (or not).

Or even a whip mark.

Still every Thai I show it to says it comes from within and no one seems to think it is either unusual or serious, unless it goes 'right around your neck, when it will kill you', although I haven't met anyone yet who knows of a case of that, so that bit is probably folklore.

Scab, you have not mentioned that before. Millipede burns don't scab, the skin dies and flakes off. Many many years ago I lived on the mainland of southern Thailand in a small village far away from anywhere. I was not working so would go castnet fishing during the morning before going up to the hills with the old ladies of the village gathering various vegetables and fruit. An amazing time given I then spoke next to no Thai and they spoke zero English. Anyway, I would get the occasional mark such as you from brushing against some kind of vine or something if it touched my bare skin. In time it would result in a very light scab but would not leave, on me, any indication some time (month or so) later.

Seems the Thais have the same diagnosis as the Chinese on this issue. The "snake" comes from "internal" - basically bad blood. If it circles around your neck, you will be "dead". I have had a few friends who had a similar problem as yours....none died from the "snake". Actually, they recovered after a week's doe of antibiotics. The doctors (western medicine, not witch) diagniose it as "Shingles"....a herpes of some sort. you won't die. Go see your "real" doctor.

Doesn't look bed bug related in the photo though people react to the bites in numerous ways. They are attracted to co2 so the upper body often gets bitten before other places but I have not seen a strip of skin dying before. This is more like the effect of milipede secretion which is a chemical burn and may or may not cause the skin to die. This is why I mentioned a strap as leather is often treated with something that causes burns to the skin if it's not washed off. Shingles can cause a burn like feature along nerves around the back and chest but not on the shoulder as far as I know. Jelly fish tendrals?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Shingles now seems to be the most likely answer then.

Gumbo wins the prize for suggesting it first..

Owen

Brushed against something in the bush or sea?

Definitely not the sea.

Could be a hairy caterpillar, I've had trouble with one before, but I just got a rash.

it is very tender today and has formed a scab along its length.

It looks like a burn, but then we are back to millipedes (or not).

Or even a whip mark.

Still every Thai I show it to says it comes from within and no one seems to think it is either unusual or serious, unless it goes 'right around your neck, when it will kill you', although I haven't met anyone yet who knows of a case of that, so that bit is probably folklore.

Scab, you have not mentioned that before. Millipede burns don't scab, the skin dies and flakes off. Many many years ago I lived on the mainland of southern Thailand in a small village far away from anywhere. I was not working so would go castnet fishing during the morning before going up to the hills with the old ladies of the village gathering various vegetables and fruit. An amazing time given I then spoke next to no Thai and they spoke zero English. Anyway, I would get the occasional mark such as you from brushing against some kind of vine or something if it touched my bare skin. In time it would result in a very light scab but would not leave, on me, any indication some time (month or so) later.

I didn't treat the other two.

They remained dry and pealed off.

The masseuse told my wife how to treat this one and the surface is alternately wet and sticky and then dry like a scab.

She used green massage cream on the first day and aloe vera since then.

After reading the Wikipedia article, i am sure that this is what I have - shingles.

I was pleased to read that it is very rare to get more than three attacks as this is my third (all within eight months).

Thanks again for your help,

Owen

After reading the Wikipedia article, i am sure that this is what I have - shingles.

I was pleased to read that it is very rare to get more than three attacks as this is my third (all within eight months).

Thanks again for your help,

Owen

This is interesting:

Go to the Wikipedia page on Shingles and click on the Thai version in the left hand column, then get Google to translate that back into English for you.

It is hard going in places, but you will get the drift.

See the cures at the end.

Owen.