Snake Skin

owenjones

Hi,

Yesterday, I woke up to find a 'thing' on my shoulder.

It looked like someone had run a sewing machine over about 2" of my skin in a straight line like a seam.

No pain, just raised 'pimples'.

This is the third one I have had this year and I put them down to insects.

A lady saw my new one today and said, I think, 'fire in the blood'.

I asked my wife later what had been said and she said something about a snake.

I thought maybe ringworm, but it does not look like that.

I asked about a cure and was told that 'a shaman' will have to spit on it.

Now, leaving aside whether you believe in that cure or not, what have I got?

One more clue is that I was told that old Thais believe that if 'the snake' encircles your neck, you will die.

Any ideas?

Owen

Edited by owenjones

Bed bugs bite in a straight line, as do fruit flies if undisterbed. Millipedes secrete a toxin which appears as a burn on most people, small bumps on a few though either way they are normally in a circle. Could be a reaction to a coating on a strap or chain.

Bed bugs bite in a straight line, as do fruit flies if undisterbed. Millipedes secrete a toxin which appears as a burn on most people, small bumps on a few though either way they are normally in a circle. Could be a reaction to a coating on a strap or chain.

Thanks for the ideas, Gumbo.

I know about bed bugs and did consider them, but no.

My wife, my masseuse and my local publican all say that it is definitely not an insect bite, that it comes from 'within'.

It is 'fire in the blood' or 'the snake'.

None of that scares me and the 'wound' doesn't bother me except that I want to know what it is.

Owen

I too would love to know what the cause is. I own and run a number of sites and forums dedicated to resolving issues such as yours without having to resort to the supernatural so this is right up my street.

If you have time then some additional information would come in handy so I can give it to my team. Are the bumps evenly spaced? Do the 'wounds' locate to where seams would be? Have they all appeared on the same side of the body? That kind of thing.

Is it possible for you to post a photo ? Or at least take one to post later ?

OK, I had a bit of battery left in my camera, so a photo is attached.

However, it is in phase two now.

The other two I had were in phase one for a week or so.

In that phase these evenly spaced 'pimples' stayed there a week or more and became painful after a week.

After a fortnight, I tore one strip off like a long scab, but it was more like a piece of leather than a scab.

The masseuse put some cream (not sam buk, but similar) on this one and it has progressed to phase two in 24 hrs.

It hurts a lot now if touched, but the mark that you see is what I have left of the previous two I have had.

It seems to leave a blue line.

My neighbour (Thai lady) has just shown me one on her leg.

post-59553-0-92111300-1312605195_thumb.j

I too would love to know what the cause is. I own and run a number of sites and forums dedicated to resolving issues such as yours without having to resort to the supernatural so this is right up my street.

If you have time then some additional information would come in handy so I can give it to my team. Are the bumps evenly spaced? Do the 'wounds' locate to where seams would be? Have they all appeared on the same side of the body? That kind of thing.

It looked just like a a straight line of pimples.

I am told that it follows a vein (or a nerve) my wife has given up on the distinction.

Two appeared on the same morning: one on my shoulder (I do not wear a bra) and one on my lowest left rib.

Owen.

Ok......looking at this logically, I think we can rule out some individual condition, as your neighbour has one too. So what does that leave us ?

Well, you say :

"I know about bed bugs and did consider them, but no.

My wife, my masseuse and my local publican all say that it is definitely not an insect bite, that it comes from 'within'."

So are your wife, your masseuse and local publican medical experts ? I guess they are Thai, but Thai people are notoriously superstitious, and furthermore often have quite odd ideas about things which Western medicine looks at logically and in a completely different light. As the most simple direct logical explanation is usually (though admittedly not always) the answer, I deduce that they are bed bug bites. They follow the typical pattern of bed bug bites, which are often in a straight line. What else could cause marks/bites in a straight line ? And from the photo, the are not following a nerve or vein. Check out the photo in the bottom right of this page here :

http://www.bedbuginf...of-bed-bugs.php

This thing is....it can be a few days between when you're bitten and the symptoms appearing, so you weren't necessarily bitten in your home.

Also, you appear to only have had one bug bite you. Is there any place where both you and your neighbour go ? Alternattively, you may be just STARTING to get an infestation. I don't know how fast they spread.

Edited by Latindancer

Doesn't look bed bug related in the photo though people react to the bites in numerous ways. They are attracted to co2 so the upper body often gets bitten before other places but I have not seen a strip of skin dying before. This is more like the effect of milipede secretion which is a chemical burn and may or may not cause the skin to die. This is why I mentioned a strap as leather is often treated with something that causes burns to the skin if it's not washed off. Shingles can cause a burn like feature along nerves around the back and chest but not on the shoulder as far as I know. Jelly fish tendrals?

Ok......looking at this logically, I think we can rule out some individual condition, as your neighbour has one too. So what does that leave us ?

Well, you say :

"I know about bed bugs and did consider them, but no.

My wife, my masseuse and my local publican all say that it is definitely not an insect bite, that it comes from 'within'."

So are your wife, your masseuse and local publican medical experts ? I guess they are Thai, but Thai people are notoriously superstitious, and furthermore often have quite odd ideas about things which Western medicine looks at logically and in a completely different light. As the most simple direct logical explanation is usually (though admittedly not always) the answer, I deduce that they are bed bug bites. They follow the typical pattern of bed bug bites, which are often in a straight line. What else could cause marks/bites in a straight line ? And from the photo, the are not following a nerve or vein. Check out the photo in the bottom right of this page here :

http://www.bedbuginf...of-bed-bugs.php

This thing is....it can be a few days between when you're bitten and the symptoms appearing, so you weren't necessarily bitten in your home.

Also, you appear to only have had one bug bite you. Is there any place where both you and your neighbour go ? Alternattively, you may be just STARTING to get an infestation. I don't know how fast they spread.

Well, OK, understand what you are saying, but I have been researching bed bugs for a year now and have a website on them, so I know more than most people about bed bugs as it happens.

I haven't been anywhere or slept outside my home in the village for months.

Nobody has reported a bed bug infestation here that my wife of I know of.

That doesn't mean anything, but you do not tend to get one bed bug per house that only eats every few months and only from one host.

My neighbour, 30 m away, and I do not hand around together or frequent the same places.

You are quite right that the people who offered me a diagnosis are not medically qualified, but the masseuse is a professional physiotherapist who teaches massage at a college in Sukhotai.

She is in her early 50 and has probably handled thousands of bodies in her 30 year career.

People like that can be expected to know something about skin conditions.

She could be a stupid old duffer, but I think not.

Thai descriptions can sound rather poetic, like oil in the blood, but it doesn't mean that they are wrong.

The last time i saw bed bug bites, a decade ago in Moscow, the man had 10-20 more bites every night.

As you say, in straight lines.

Fleas can do that too.

i think that it is an insect bite, but I don't agree that it is bed bugs.

Bed bugs tend to come in groups.

When one bed bug finds a host it secretes a pheromone to invite others to the party.

I have been bitten four times in six months.

I think that it is a lone, more unusual insect - a fly, perhaps, or a millipede.

Funny though, because i have lived here for seven years now and don't react badly to insect bites normally.

Doesn't look bed bug related in the photo though people react to the bites in numerous ways. They are attracted to co2 so the upper body often gets bitten before other places but I have not seen a strip of skin dying before. This is more like the effect of milipede secretion which is a chemical burn and may or may not cause the skin to die. This is why I mentioned a strap as leather is often treated with something that causes burns to the skin if it's not washed off. Shingles can cause a burn like feature along nerves around the back and chest but not on the shoulder as far as I know. Jelly fish tendrals?

I don't think it's a bed bug either.

So far, I would go with the millipede idea.

I haven't seen one for a long time, but it has been raining a lot and that does bring them out.

Thanks.

I had an identical looking thing on my arm when I was last in Thailand, the locals told me it was a millipede trail as they have poisonous legs. I just used some aloe vera extract on the trail and it cleared up after a while. :)

I agree. Our thinking is on the right track in that it is an insect of some sort. But although I respect traditional medicine, I don't think it is something internal manifesting itself externally. Perhaps I could suggest that you ensure you drink a fair bit one night, and have a torch ready when you get up to pee. Then have a good look around at what is in the room. I have found cockroaches this way, which I would not have suspected were there.

The whole thing is an interesting problem-solving exercise.......I'll be very interested to see what eventually comes of it.

I had an identical looking thing on my arm when I was last in Thailand, the locals told me it was a millipede trail as they have poisonous legs. I just used some aloe vera extract on the trail and it cleared up after a while. :)

Yes, I was told to put this green cream on it, wait a day and then use aloe vera, which grows wild in our garden.

However, I have since asked a few more Thais about it and they all say that it is not an insect or worm.

It comes from within.

I was told: 'Thai people get this'.

I know that that does not mean that foreigners can't, but it does not help much either.

The affected areas are isolated. If it was caused by a millipede then it must have just stopped for a rest allowing time for an straight burn, if it was alarmed it would have curled up.

Yep, I've gone cold on the millipede idea.

I agree. Our thinking is on the right track in that it is an insect of some sort. But although I respect traditional medicine, I don't think it is something internal manifesting itself externally. Perhaps I could suggest that you ensure you drink a fair bit one night, and have a torch ready when you get up to pee. Then have a good look around at what is in the room. I have found cockroaches this way, which I would not have suspected were there.

The whole thing is an interesting problem-solving exercise.......I'll be very interested to see what eventually comes of it.

Good idea!

What bugs me is that I had one of these things in January.

It no longer itches or anything, but it has left a deep blue mark to this day like on my photo.

Looks to be a hard rash of some sort [not insect related]. Sensitivity or allergic reaction?

The affected areas are isolated. If it was caused by a millipede then it must have just stopped for a rest allowing time for an straight burn, if it was alarmed it would have curled up.

So have I, close but doesn't quite fit. Rope burn perhaps? The blue mark you mentioned sounds like a scar which is even stranger given it does not hurt at the beginning. Have both shoulder marks been close together and in the same direction?

Looks to be a hard rash of some sort [not insect related]. Sensitivity or allergic reaction?

Log or bundle of sticks on the shoulder causing a reaction?

I have had four since Christmas.

But I can't think of anything to have brought on an allergic reaction.

I don't see why my wife hasn't been bitten.

She keeps the house pretty clean, so I think it does come 'from within', but what it is no one can tell me, because no one but me speaks English where I live.

Owen

If you where asleep and a millipede crawled over you , How would you know, and the tracks that are Toxic would appear later,It would have gone Merrily on its way with out you knowing

Edited by Thongkorn

So have I, close but doesn't quite fit. Rope burn perhaps? The blue mark you mentioned sounds like a scar which is even stranger given it does not hurt at the beginning. Have both shoulder marks been close together and in the same direction?

My first one was in Jan 2011 on my right thigh.

Second one on my left calf a month later.

Third on my left shoulder two days ago

I am told there is a fourth on my lowest left rib, but it doesn't look the same to me, although I am assured that it is from the same cause.

It looks more like a pink bruise about an inch in diameter, but it is oval.

Log or bundle of sticks on the shoulder causing a reaction?

I don't have a work permit

My first one was in Jan 2011 on my right thigh.

Second one on my left calf a month later.

Third on my left shoulder two days ago

I am told there is a fourth on my lowest left rib, but it doesn't look the same to me, although I am assured that it is from the same cause.

It looks more like a pink bruise about an inch in diameter, but it is oval.

Brushed against something in the bush or sea?

Definitely not the sea.

Could be a hairy caterpillar, I've had trouble with one before, but I just got a rash.

it is very tender today and has formed a scab along its length.

It looks like a burn, but then we are back to millipedes (or not).

Or even a whip mark.

Still every Thai I show it to says it comes from within and no one seems to think it is either unusual or serious, unless it goes 'right around your neck, when it will kill you', although I haven't met anyone yet who knows of a case of that, so that bit is probably folklore.

Definitely not the sea.

Could be a hairy caterpillar, I've had trouble with one before, but I just got a rash.

it is very tender today and has formed a scab along its length.

It looks like a burn, but then we are back to millipedes (or not).

Or even a whip mark.

Still every Thai I show it to says it comes from within and no one seems to think it is either unusual or serious, unless it goes 'right around your neck, when it will kill you', although I haven't met anyone yet who knows of a case of that, so that bit is probably folklore.

'Gnoo sawat' - my wife calls it - hit with a snake's tail

or probably , 'gnu suwat'

Edited by owenjones