First Impression

cclub75

I just came back from 4 days in Hua Hin (first time).

First comment : lot of rain....

;-)

I guess bad luck...

Second comment : the beach was extremely dirty. Comment of the hotel : "normally they clean every day. But with the bad weather, they didn't do it for a week"...

Actually, the heavy rain stopped monday. So why no action the other days ?

If I were a tourist, I would not come back again.

;-)

I guess bad luck...

Second comment : the beach was extremely dirty. Comment of the hotel : "normally they clean every day. But with the bad weather, they didn't do it for a week"...

Let's be fair about the litter.

Most of the folk using the beach are visitors (Thai & Farang) & most of the volunteers who try to keep it clean (including me) are local residents. If the visitors left less litter, the locals wouldn't need to clean so much -- it's a bit like shovelling s**t against the tide!

There's no-one to stop visitors littering (never a cop when you need one, etc.) -- least of all their left-at-home conscience!

I agree that the beach could be cleaner but after the recent floods, my fellow volunteers were maybe too busy salvaging their flooded homes to clean the beach! (*By the way, any local resident can volunteer for this -- just contact the town hall.*)

Like the sign says (near Burger King): "Leave Only Footprints" -- PLEASE!

;-)

I guess bad luck...

Let's be fair about the litter.

Most of the folk using the beach are visitors (Thai & Farang) & most of the volunteers who try to keep it clean (including me) are local residents. If the visitors left less litter, the locals wouldn't need to clean so much -- it's a bit like shovelling s**t against the tide!

There's no-one to stop visitors littering (never a cop when you need one, etc.) -- least of all their left-at-home conscience!

I agree that the beach could be cleaner but after the recent floods, my fellow volunteers were maybe too busy salvaging their flooded homes to clean the beach! (*By the way, any local resident can volunteer for this -- just contact the town hall.*)

Like the sign says (near Burger King): "Leave Only Footprints" -- PLEASE!

Great!!! Even more reason to keep the hordes out - keep the criticism coming folks! :o

would be a great idea for bins to be placed in convenient locations.

at the moment all there is, is the floor. :D  :D  :D

About the bins -- great idea, BUT . . .

I lived in Japan for around 14 years & they have plenty of litter bins -- trouble is, they rarely empty most of them! :D

I can well imagine that if HH did have plenty of bins around (in the town as well as on the beach), they'd soon disappear under a mountain of unemptied trash, making the beach maybe even look worse than it does now! :o

However, if some entrepreneur out there would like to set-up such bins, using advertising/sponsorship to pay for them & to pay for their regular upkeep, I am sure the town would (eventually) agree. For example, get the Marriot to pay for bins on the beach near its hotel, etc. :D

Lastly, about discouraging the hoardes from visiting HH. With the peak season about to hit us, that sounds like a pretty good idea.

Please don't visit HH, folks -- you'll need mountain boots to get over the rubbish before you even see the sea!

:D:D:D

I live in a non-farang area in Thailand, and the beaches I go to are 99.9% used by the locals. Some of the dirtiest beaches i've ever seem, so to just blame visitors is a bit of a cop-out.

A decent nation-wide 'Keep Thailand Clean' campaign, with an integrated education program and realistic supply and service of rubbish bins, else nothing will change.

I dare say this problem starts at home, not visitors.

I live in a non-farang area in Thailand, and the beaches I go to are 99.9% used by the locals. Some of the dirtiest beaches i've ever seem, so to just blame visitors is a bit of a cop-out.

A decent nation-wide 'Keep Thailand Clean' campaign, with an integrated education program and realistic supply and service of rubbish bins, else nothing will change.

Let's be frank -- people are untidy/dirty, no matter where they call home!

As for any sort of campaign -- no law/rule/whatever is better than its enforcement, & so until the litterbugs fear getting penalised, no posters or whatever will work.

Mr T is very fond of trying to penalise places that sell cigarettes, etc., so let's see him have a go at the litterbugs!

Oh, & as for the jellyfish -- we've specially trained them to only attack non-residents, so be warned! :o

Boy I hate to screw this thread up, but I was in Hua Hin at the same time and I had a great time. This is Asia, you want those pristine beaches head to the Carribean, of course it could cost you a bit more

It depends when you came in October. A couple of weeks ago, when the wind changed and started coming from the north, it swept several months' worth of flotsam and jetsam toward Khao Takiab. We're talking literally tons of vegetation and plastic refuse, used condoms, water lizzards, entire palm trees, countless coconuts. Our beach frontage was actually 8 inches deep in trash for a week, until the tessaban dump truck came out. The luxury hotels tried to clean their own beaches each day, but it was a daunting task.

And during much of October, there weren't many low tides. Sometimes it splashed over the sea walls.

Yeah, don't come. Stay in Boston, where you can't swim, or Los Angeles, where you need a wetsuit to stay reasonably warm in July.