Visa Representative

Hi,

I am completely new to this board so I apologise if this question has been answered before.

I live in the UK and I have asked my Thai girlfriend if she would like to visit for a 2 or 3 week holiday. I know that visa applications can be complicated so understand that it might take a while to arrange.

When I was discussing it with her she put a friend on the phone who said that he could arrange a tourist visa for her within 2 weeks at a cost of 15000 Baht.

Now, I'm not a negative kind of guy but this sounds very quick and also quite a lot of money.

So the question is:

Is this likely to be genuine or is somebody trying to make a fast buck?

And are there genuine companies that can arrange visa's quickly for a reasonable cost?

Any comments or recommendations gratefully received.

Hi Howard,

What are the friend's credentials? At the very least, I would expect a representative to have a working knowledge of UK immigration law and policy. Furthermore, a proper adviser would never guarantee to be able to secure a visa for your g/f, as, ultimately, that is at the whim of the visa officer. Additionally, if this friend is so sure your g/f will get a visa, then it appears to me that she could do it herself.

The embassy has issued a press release stating that, as far as possible, they will deal with visit visa applications on the day they are made, so no more waiting 10-12 weeks for an interview. However, you/your g/f would have to thoroughly prepare the application beforehand and her success, or otherwise, would depnd largely upon her circumstances in Thailand.

To answer your question, I think it's someone trying to make a fast buck. Also, 15,000 baht is incredibly cheap for professional visa services. If you think your g/f could benefit from representation, I could possibly put you in touch with someone in Bangkok. Failing that, she can probably apply either unaided, or with some assistance from this forum.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Thanks for the advice guys.

As far as I could make out it was just a friend who was more experienced in applying for visa's rather than a professional company.

As she lives in Bangkok I'll send over the forms and get her to make the application in person and see how she gets on.

Things are never simple in LOS are they???

:o

Howard,

It's not as simple as filling in the forms. You have to provide various supporting documents and evidence that you can support your g/f during her holiday (unless she's paying for it herself). If she turns up with just the form, they'll refuse the application out of hand.

Scouse.

Howard,

Just to elaborate on what Scouse has wrote.

The type of things you need to submit are:-

Your invitation/sponsor letter, for her to visit you

Proof of employment including NI number

Wage slips (6 months)

Bank statements (6 months)

Proof of contact with each other i.e copies of e-mails, telephone bills etc.

Pictures of you together

A copy of your deeds for your house, to show what size it is, how many rooms it has.

If rented, letter off Landlord

How many people live there

Some utility bills, showing you abide at the address

The type of things she need to submit are:-

Bank statements

Letter from her employee saying she has a job to return to

any other evidence showing that she has cause to return to Thailand, this is the main criteria that the ECO will judge the case on.

This is not an exhaustive list, if anybody wants to add, please feel free. It would also, be worth your while doing an extensive search in this forum, as this question as been asked numerous times. The answers are here.

MrBoJ

Howard,

Just to elaborate on what Scouse has wrote.

The type of things you need to submit are:-

Your invitation/sponsor letter, for her to visit you

Proof of employment including NI number

Wage slips (6 months)

Bank statements (6 months)

Proof of contact with each other i.e copies of e-mails, telephone bills etc.

Pictures of you together

A copy of your deeds for your house, to show what size it is, how many rooms it has.

If rented, letter off Landlord

How many people live there

Some utility bills, showing you abide at the address

The type of things she need to submit are:-

Bank statements

Letter from her employee saying she has a job to return to

any other evidence showing that she has cause to return to Thailand, this is the main criteria that the ECO will judge the case on.

This is not an exhaustive list, if anybody wants to add, please feel free. It would also, be worth your while doing an extensive search in this forum, as this question as been asked numerous times. The answers are here.

MrBoJ

Dang all that for a 2-3 week holiday !

Thanks again. I have had a good look at the Embassy website and am pretty up to speed on whats required but thank you for the additional info.

Out of curiosity, what does a Thai National who just wants a family holiday in the UK have to do? If they can afford it surely they don't have to go through this whole complicated process just to do 2 weeks sight seeing?

If they can afford it surely they don't have to go through this whole complicated process just to do 2 weeks sight seeing?

Oh yes they do Howard. Everybody does. I don't know why but many people who visit the UK like to overstay and they go missing. If the Embassy didn't do this, the UK would be full of illegal immigrants............ :o Oh, hang on, we are full of illegal immigrants :D

Seriously though, if she can afford to come, she must have a decent job and therefore a reason to return. It makes the case a better one in the ECO's eyes.

Don't know wether you overlooked it or not, how long have you been seeing each other? It's quite an important question.

Hello Howard,

My Thai g/f used the services of a visa representative ("a friend who says he can get me a visa") in July of this year to to apply for a tourist visa to visit Australia. I have been round the sun many times, so when the rep met us at the airport between internal flights, blagged a free lunch and wanted payment in cash (albeit only 10,000 Baht) I was suspicious and not surprised when he failed to come up with the goods.

On quizzing him on my g/f's prospective application for a UK settlement visa it became apparent, even to me, that he was not familiar the requirements of our man in Bangkok.

For my pennyworth, I say take note of what the wise heads on this site say. They have been there, done it and have the mental scars to prove it. Then get professional advice if your g/f needs it.

Sorry to change track, but Scouse mentioned professional representation at the interview. Please enlighten me as this may be appropriate to my g/f particulary as I will not even be allowed into the Embassy let alone her interview.

Depends on what you mean by "Seeing" each other.....

Ok, time to come clean. A story you've heard a million times before. She was a bar girl in Pattaya. I had 2 weeks holiday. She lub me lots and miss me too mutt and has quit her job to move back with her family in Bangkok. So I think why not, lets see if things can go any further and asked if she wants to visit.

So, she has no job, no money and we have actually only seen each other for 2 weeks!!!

BTW - Before any flames come my way. I'm not a gullible fool and have not offered her any more than a holiday over here. She may see it differently but that is someting we can discuss face to face if she ever makes it through the bureaucratic quagmire!

Depends on what you mean by "Seeing" each other.....

Ok, time to come clean. A story you've heard a million times before. She was a bar girl in Pattaya. I had 2 weeks holiday. She lub me lots and miss me too mutt and has quit her job to move back with her family in Bangkok. So I think why not, lets see if things can go any further and asked if she wants to visit.

So, she has no job, no money and we have actually only seen each other for 2 weeks!!!

Forget it, it ain't going to happen.

The ECO will be considering 3 main criteria.

1) Is the reason for the visit genuine, i.e. for the purpose stated on the application?

A bar girl, known her sponsor for a total of 2 weeks. Has she really given it all up for love? Or is she using this gullible fool as a way into the UK, where she can earn a hel_l of a lot more than she could in Pattaya?

2) Can the applicant fund the visit and be suitably accommodated, either from their own resources or with help from a sponsor.

Not usually a problem in these circumstances, but the sponsor needs to prove income etc.

3) Will the applicant return to Thailand, or at least leave the UK, when or before the visa expires?

See question 1.

No work (except bar work), no money, no property, I'm sorry but she is going to fall down on numbers 1 and 3.

This is not a dig at you, or indeed her. But if you look at it from an ECOs point of view you will see what I mean. Wait a bit, get to know her better and build up a contact file between you. Then try.

MK14, I think Scouse meant professional help in preparing the application etc. The only person who will be allowed into the interview is the applicant.

The Embassy website has this to say on the subject of advisers

Should I ask an agent or an immigration adviser to help me apply for my visa?

You should be careful about using an agent or an immigration adviser as they cannot issue visas, or influence the outcome of your application. There have been cases where agents and immigration advisers have given people poor advice and overcharged them.

Certainly, any agent, adviser, lawyer whatever who says that they can guarantee a visa is lying!

Some people, I know, feel happier with using an adviser, but for the majority of straightforward applicants it is unnecessary. Why pay several hundred pounds for advice which you can get for free from the official websites and places like this?

BTW - Before any flames come my way. I'm not a gullible fool and have not offered her any more than a holiday over here. She may see it differently but that is someting we can discuss face to face if she ever makes it through the bureaucratic quagmire!

No flaming or name calling Howard but glad you told the whole situation. The reason i asked, is because it is a very important point the ECO will latch on to. I totally agree with what GU22 has said and think you are better off building up your contact file first. Otherwise, having already had a refusal on her record could jeopardise any future applications.

Yes, MK14, I was referring to representation in respect of preparing the application and guiding your g/f throught the process. If your g/f ever wants advice in Bangkok, then send me a PM and I can put you in touch with a professional adviser who lives there.

Scouse.

Hi,

I am completely new to this board so I apologise if this question has been answered before.

I live in the UK and I have asked my Thai girlfriend if she would like to visit for a 2 or 3 week holiday. I know that visa applications can be complicated so understand that it might take a while to arrange.

When I was discussing it with her she put a friend on the phone who said that he could arrange a tourist visa for her within 2 weeks at a cost of 15000 Baht.

Now, I'm not a negative kind of guy but this sounds very quick and also quite a lot of money.

So the question is:

Is this likely to be genuine or is somebody trying to make a fast buck?

And are there genuine companies that can arrange visa's quickly for a reasonable cost?

Any comments or recommendations gratefully received.

There is really no need for long drawn out discussion here.

This is a "fast buck" scam. Youe TGF may or may not be involved.