Perpetual Visa Runners

Been doing visa run for a while now. But on my latest tourist visa, I've also got a remark saying that I need to substantiate sources of income. Anybody else got the same warning? The embassy worker in Vientian told me that i need to open a thai bank account with atleast 300,000 bahts. Anybody else got the same warning? I don't see any posts mentioning this. Am I the only one getting this raw deal?

Been doing visa run for a while now.  But on my latest tourist visa, I've also got a remark saying that I need to substantiate sources of income.  Anybody else got the same warning?  The embassy worker in Vientian told me that i need to open a thai bank account with atleast 300,000 bahts.  Anybody else got the same warning?  I don't see any posts mentioning this.  Am I the only one getting this raw deal?

Until I actually opened an account here I used to go to Penang, show my visa card withdrawal slips and a copy of my visa card, no problem. I was using a tourist visa, same as you. I went to Vientiane a few times and finally decided it wasn't worth the hassle there, so switched to Penang.

Homer Jay,

You are not getting a raw deal. What you are being asked for is evidence you are not employed in LOS. You describe yourself a perpetual (tourist) visa runner so suspicion is there. If you are employed, tough. If not take the embassy advice and put some money in a bank or provide evidence you are supporting yourself without working.

Vientiane got tough on perpetual tourist visa runners several years ago and I was forced to stop going there. Their new rule sounds fair I have to say. Before they asked me how I supported myself and after explaining it she said "sorry, I don't believe you, don't come back". <deleted>? She was judge, jury, and executioner after one question and 30 seconds of honest testimony. I had been sentenced guilty with absolutely no way to clear my case. This new rule sounds fair, but I personally do not want the hassles of a Thai bank account so Vientiane is still out for now.

Thanks for your reply sierra01!  Now my 60 days visa runs out in couple of weeks, will I need to show the guys at Suan Plu (sp?) a newly opened bank account?  Or is it a requirement when I apply for a tourist visa next time?

Sorry but I don't know about Suan Plu, never been there. Every Embassy is a law unto itself and makes it's own rules, all you can do is try and cover all the bases. My advice would be to open an account with a couple of hundred grand in it PDQ and cross your fingers!

I see you are back off the medication again SALN :D

I’ve been wondering, too, what happened to this otherwise jovial fellow.

More likely on medication again and under concomitant doctor’s order to stay off the booze. Withdrawal symptoms :o

Since Thaksin take the office too much rules are changed in Thailand , especially the immigration rules.

For marriage visa from 200.000 k he move it, to 400.000 k , visa fee from 500 baht, to 1900 bath etc…

I think he like only those people have a very big amount money ,but if you have only few amount of money you non qualified for live in Thailand.

Maestro, CM Daddy

I confirmed in my last post I am back on the medication (comes cheaper in 0.66 litre bottles). And much the better for it.

Jovial fellow? Me? I don't recognise that description.

Next time I see my Doctor I'll ask if he's concomitant. He'll probably ask me to check his pulse and then give me 80baht to certify his concomitance is no longer infectious.

Forgive my belicosity, but can you really believe the OP's sense of indignation? Repeated TR visa trips and then, god forbid, being asked how he is supporting himself. How appallingly Thailand treats those upon whom it's thirld world economy depends.

And as for sierra01. I make more sense, and without the need of artificial stimulants..other than my medication (cheers).

Til the next time..... :D:o

I confirmed in my last post I am back on the medication (comes cheaper in 0.66 litre bottles).

I had forgotten khuat yai was that big.

Actually, I meant “mediacation” literally, for example no booze when on antibiotics (but you know all about that)

Next time I see my Doctor I'll ask if he's concomitant. He'll probably ask me to check his pulse and then give me 80baht to certify his concomitance is no longer infectious.

:o

I guess I should’ve written “doctor’s concomitant order” :D

Thanks for the hint (and who says you’re not jovial?)

Since  Thaksin take  the office  too much rules  are changed in Thailand , especially the immigration rules.

For marriage visa from 200.000 k he move it, to  400.000 k ,  visa fee from  500 baht, to 1900 bath etc…

I think he like only those people have a very big amount money ,but  if you have only few  amount of money you non qualified for live in Thailand.

Big Money = Good People

Low Money = Bad People

That's his line of thinking anyway...

I think there needs to be clarification re the term 'visa runner' - I had always understood it to mean persons NOT engaged in obtaining a proper visa regardless of clss (even tourist); rather they run across the border and get a '30 day stamp'.

Obviously, some consulates/emb give more hassles, I think much because they do not have the tech resources - so the answer is basically - no.

There seems to be a really ugly sentiment toward those who for whatever reasons are not stupid enough to place nearly one million B in a bank acct @ no interest when the real world pays a minimum of 4% per annum - and is only RISING. The BOT raised interest rate on borrowing 50 basis pts - did acct holders see any of that and esp dumb falang? Nope.

I keep b10000 in a bank acct - period. Screw Taksin. I evebn wonder if the practice is legal under WTO (paying foreigners diff int on funds).

There is some ugly sentiment by old, lazy guys that for some reason we should all be like them. Pay thru the nose, get a one year visa - I rather enjoy getting out of the country every so often (I just came back from India and have been to cambodia since June). Most of these people I've met no nothing of the country or people. They've come here late, late in life after a failed marriage and have a pile of money which they think impresses people by tossing about, never buying the young lads a beer but paying stupid money for things, eating in western restaurants, never taking thai lessons or going to fitness centers - ok a few MIGHT play a bit of golf.

Not only that but you guys are a joke - going thru all that crap about medicals, paperwork and then prostrating yourself at Immigration and blow low for the official stamp for the "privilage" of staying here.

I rather enjoy being a 'perpetual tourist" cum "visa runner" - it sure beats being an "English teacher" @ b200 an hour -even marrying some bar slag does not exempt you from the hassles. I wonder....why the hel_l you all do it, honestly.

peace - not trying to b nasty, just a rant.

hey john....

Big Money = Good People

Low Money = Bad People

I guess that means all the people with tattoos on their faces coming in on 1 yr visas are 'good people' and all the intellectual types (former teachers, librarians and pro-bono attys) are the baddies.

BOYCOTT 12 call!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent advice sierra01.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but a sierra  is a high desolate place where not much can exist.

My advice would be to wipe my *rse with a printout of your advice.

That's what I did and it served me well, no hassles from them, ok?

As for my nick, it came from the Ford Sierra I had in the UK, ok?

As for your advice....go back on, and keep taking, the tablets, you need them.

Since  Thaksin take  the office  too much rules  are changed in Thailand , especially the immigration rules.

For marriage visa from 200.000 k he move it, to  400.000 k ,  visa fee from  500 baht, to 1900 bath etc…

I think he like only those people have a very big amount money ,but  if you have only few  amount of money you non qualified for live in Thailand.

Seeya then

even marrying some bar slag does not exempt you from the hassles.

peace - not trying to b nasty.

What a swell guy. :o

My compliments to you, Judge, for your endurance. I found h5n1’s ranting missive so tedious to read that I gave up before I got to that passage.

Big Money = Good People

Low Money = Bad People

That's his line of thinking anyway...

That being said I would be considered a piece of shit :o:D

I think there needs to be clarification re the term 'visa runner' - I had always understood it to mean persons NOT engaged in obtaining a proper visa regardless of clss (even tourist); rather they run across the border and get a '30 day stamp'.

Obviously, some consulates/emb give more hassles, I think much because they do not have the tech resources - so the answer is basically - no.

There seems to be a really ugly sentiment toward those who for whatever reasons are not stupid enough to place nearly one million B in a bank acct @ no interest when the real world pays a minimum of 4% per annum - and is only RISING. The BOT raised interest rate on borrowing 50 basis pts - did acct holders see any of that and esp dumb falang? Nope.

I keep b10000 in a bank acct - period. Screw Taksin. I evebn wonder if the practice is legal under WTO (paying foreigners diff int on funds).

There is some ugly sentiment by old, lazy guys that for some reason we should all be like them. Pay thru the nose, get a one year visa - I rather enjoy getting out of the country every so often (I just came back from India and have been to cambodia since June). Most of these people I've met no nothing of the country or people. They've come here late, late in life after a failed marriage and have a pile of money which they think impresses people by tossing about, never buying the young lads a beer but paying stupid money for things, eating in western restaurants, never taking thai lessons or going to fitness centers - ok a few MIGHT play a bit of golf.

Not only that but you guys are a joke - going thru all that crap about medicals, paperwork and then prostrating yourself at Immigration and blow low for the official stamp for the "privilage" of staying here.

I rather enjoy being a 'perpetual tourist" cum "visa runner" - it sure beats being an "English teacher" @ b200 an hour -even marrying some bar slag does not exempt you from the hassles. I wonder....why the hel_l you all do it, honestly.

peace - not trying to b nasty, just a rant.

I think some ones had a we bit too much coffee today!!! :o