Getting Insurance In Thailand If You Have A Health Condition

phuturatica

I am moving to Thailand in November and I need to have health insurance.

I have Stage 4 renal failure and chronic kidney disease. This means I am not on dialysis yet, my one remaining kidney functions at 22% currently and I won't need dialysis until I get to 10% or lower. I am prone to getting kidney infections which sometimes require intravenous antibiotics and hospital treatment. However the frequency of these infections can fluctuate. (I'm currently doing well and haven't had one in months! Yay!)

Getting a years cover of insurance from the UK for Thailand will cost me about £3,000 (147,000 THB approx.) which is pretty steep if you ask me. I could purchase it and not get ill at all! Also, I can treat most kidney infections myself as I'm used to it and I know which antibiotics my body is most likely to respond to and you can purchase these for very cheap in Pharmacies.

I have also considered just getting standard insurance and not mentioning my pre-existing condition which would be about £140 (7,000 THB approx.) and then having some back up funds in case I get ill and enough money for a flight back to the UK if really needs be.

Are there any insurance companies in Thailand which will cover my pre-existing condition and suitable for foreigners living in Thailand? What are your experiences and recommendations? What would you do in my situation?

Unlikely to get insurance of any kind here....they will tend to consider anything is related to your condition. You may have more luck in England as you may get covered with exclusions.

Remember also that if you are out of the UK for a year you may lose your entitlement to Medical services in the UK.

Unlikely to get insurance of any kind here....they will tend to consider anything is related to your condition. You may have more luck in England as you may get covered with exclusions.

Remember also that if you are out of the UK for a year you may lose your entitlement to Medical services in the UK.

You lose your entitlement to medical services in the UK?! Even if I'm a British Citizen with a British passport? That's ridiculous.

You lose your entitlement to medical services in the UK?! Even if I'm a British Citizen with a British passport? That's ridiculous.

No check it....it is now based on residence a few months out and you can have problems.

Edited by harrry

You may find it cheaper to just pay for whatever medical attention you need in Thailand vice paying premiums in UK.

Although I do not have any known conditions, I do not intend to keep trying to live with a severely ailing body. It is your choice.

A number of points here, first look at, the link below, secondly health insurance, I have never been ill or hospitalised yet I have been refused health insurance here due to a pre condition (type II diabetes) which is controlled with tablets and diet! Finally if you were to take out insurance without full disclosure then you can bet if something happened the insurance company would cancel the policy due to "failure to disclose" Oh and be aware a night in one of the private hospitals here can start at 25000 baht.

A point that has been aired on this forum ad infinitum is the relation between continuing to pay income tax on UK income taxed at source and the entitlement to free health care, they are not related, paying one does not entitle you to the other despite paying NI contributions all your working life plus of course if you reach state pension age you will not receive your annual increase!

http://www.nhs.uk/NH...vingabroad.aspx which states

Living abroad

You will not be covered for healthcare paid by the UK if you are going to live permanently outside the UK.

Edited by JohnC

"Oh and be aware a night in one of the private hospitals here can start at 25000 baht."

Which hospital would that be?

OP, generally, Thai Social Security does not exclude pre-existing conditions.

You get in that system through employment. 750 baht a month.

It takes three months of payments before you can use the benefits.

After 12 months in the system you can quit working and pay on your own. That would be 432 baht a month, but doesn't pay anything into the retirement portion.

"Oh and be aware a night in one of the private hospitals here can start at 25000 baht."

Which hospital would that be?

OP, generally, Thai Social Security does not exclude pre-existing conditions.

You get in that system through employment. 750 baht a month.

It takes three months of payments before you can use the benefits.

After 12 months in the system you can quit working and pay on your own. That would be 432 baht a month, but doesn't pay anything into the retirement portion.

Importantly you have to be under 60 to enroll. Benifits may be retained after you turn 60 if you continue paying.