Please Help Me With True Vision And Local Cable Packages

ThaiBound81

Hi all,

I am in serious need of help understanding the different True Vision packages. I've called their support center and chatted online with them many times in the last few days, have wasted countless hours being transferred, etc. And ultimately have gotten different answers from everyone I have spoken with.

I would like to know how many English channels are included in the Freeview, Knowledge, and Silver Packages and what types of programs these channels show. Please share this with me if you know.

I've also been informed about a local Thai cable plan (not with True) that has roughly 100 channels and about 10 are in English and this plan costs less than 100 baht per month. The condo building I'm in has told my landlord that they do not allow this to be installed. Are buildings able to say that, or do you think my landlord didn't even check with the building and was lazy so only told me about True?

What it boils down to is I'm looking for a budget cable TV plan with a few English channels for news, sports, maybe comedy shows or documentaries, etc.

Looking forward to your replies as I'm currently without TV and Internet. Thank you.

"different answers from everyone I have spoken with."

Welcome to Thailand, this is so typical of almost everything.

From the seem of things probably the best package for you will be the True gold package, this will give you what you have asked for in sport/movies/nat geo/discovery etc.

the Platinum package is in most peoples opinions not worth thee xtra money for what you actually get and many have downgraded from it.

As for the cheaper packages out there, unless you are fluent in Thai the amount of English channels in negligible and in my experience constant repeats (but thats true of all English channels no matter who is providing them) and really bad reception from these cheaper versions.

BE WARNED with True it will be a 12 month contract.

But hey, thats only my opinion coupled with other entries I have seen here in the forum.

To summarise: One off or cheap monthly ones are fine for Thai but as the saying goes "you get what you pay for".

Generally the best (such as it is) is the True Gold package but that is by no means "budget".

Thank you very much for the helpful replies. As stated, True Gold is not "budget" and with the minimal amount of TV I plan on watching I really can't justify the cost. Do they ever run promotions on it.

Even though True lists all channels included in each package on their website, they do not list which channels are in English. This is the information I need to find out.

If True's most basic "Freeview" or "knowledge" package had 5-10 English channels I'd be happy. Trying to find exact numbers before I sign a 12 month contract to avoid throwing thousands of baht down the drain.

Very interested in hearing what others have to say about this. Thank you.

True gold isn't cheap, I used to have it a few years back via satellite but when I moved apartment I just cancelled it, I pretty much only used it for watching the news channels anyway.

Everything else I download.

I have no problem with my True Visions package whatsoever,i am more than happy to pay the 1400 baht Gold subscription which affords me all the premier league football i want,news, documentaries,films etc etc,to be living in a foreign country and have any English TV is a plus,in relation to the price which i find highly attractive unlike the subscription cost's in the UK its fair for the channels i receive,the free view package isn't worth entertaining why would you spend 6,000 baht for a satellite and not subscribe.

I have never undertaken any contract and have never had to subscribe for 12 months.

The main gripe is the reception,if you get a nice down pour with some thunder,its often down,the same can be said for sun outages when its really sunny its gone to.

You don't get nothing for nothing in this life i am afraid that includes satellite and cable TV in Thailand its like everything else the more you pay the more you get,it depends how much you need to watch TV really,i need to see the football watch the news and the odd film so i am on a winner,nuff said me thinks.

I tried both the "Freeview" and "Knowledge" packages and after several months on each, gave up and disconnected. There was no comprehensive news available in English and the programming that was in English was childish.

I have found that with a decent internet connection and downloading, I can get everything I need.

As the joke goes: what's on my tv?....Dust!

BTW, in answer to your other question; Yes, landlords do have the right to deny access from various cable companies.

TV access is one of the questions that should be asked when renting.

Edited by dddave

True gold isn't cheap, I used to have it a few years back via satellite but when I moved apartment I just cancelled it, I pretty much only used it for watching the news channels anyway.

ditto i had true platinum for years until i cancelled it.

the savings pays for a vpn, seedbox, and 12mb internet connection with true.

For entertainment on demand i use hulu. iplayer brings me f1 and news is available on the web.

no regrets and i dont zone out infront of the tv with the remote in my hand surfing channels of nothing. no regrets

ditto i had true platinum for years until i cancelled it.

the savings pays for a vpn, seedbox, and 12mb internet connection with true.

For entertainment on demand i use hulu. iplayer brings me f1 and news is available on the web.

no regrets and i dont zone out infront of the tv with the remote in my hand surfing channels of nothing. no regrets

Would you mind going over that with a bit more detail? Like; what's a "VPN" & "seedbox". I thought HULU was unavailable in Asia.... I-Player??

I know; I should Google it all but you seem to know how to make all these puppies play together.

Edited by dddave