Best Isolated Internet Provider

Dag

Not really that isolated, just no land lines to this particular area and will require a satellite setup most likely.

Which company is best for this, service, less problems and above all cost and download ability as in not limiting torrents and such.

If anyone knows and can recommend, please do so and describe the setup and cost to establish and per month charges for what size.

Thanks

Edited by Dag

As said Location is important,

I am using CAT cdma dongle @ 799 per month unlimited usage, slow at times but generally performs quite well for Thailand.

certainly better than any sim card type device for my area. (Central - North East )

Edited by CharlieH

Did not think location would matter...why does it ?

As I thought a telecom company was all throughout thailand and being satellite....location should not matter ??

But, neverthe less, we are in the Khao Yai area south east of Korat about an hour.

CH...when you say your system is better than an 'aircard'....I would hope so and if it is just a little better, then i am not interested to change as I am using an aircard currently.

What kind of download speeds do you get for movies and such if you do download stuff like that ??

@Dag - check if CAT CDMA or True 3G (unlikely) or AIS 3G are available around where you are.

CAT CDMA is usually everywhere, although Kao Yai is in the central provinces so you might get Hutch 3G instead or the newfangled True / CAT alliance 3G. Ask them.

All these services are WAY faster than an EDGE Aircard. They're more comparable to DSL speeds.

As for Satellite - it might have changed by now but for a very long time that service was so slow as to be unusable. Worse than EDGE. But better ask somebody who is currently using it.

Edited by nikster

Did not think location would matter...why does it ?

As I thought a telecom company was all throughout thailand and being satellite....location should not matter ??

But, neverthe less, we are in the Khao Yai area south east of Korat about an hour.

CH...when you say your system is better than an 'aircard'....I would hope so and if it is just a little better, then i am not interested to change as I am using an aircard currently.

What kind of download speeds do you get for movies and such if you do download stuff like that ??

You can check CAT/CDMA coverage here http://www.catcdma.com/en/about-area.rhtml

You'll need yo know which Province and Amphur you live in. I couldn't find "Khao Yai" in Nakhon Ratchasima.

I doubt there is AIS 3G there but without an exact location it is impossible to determine. Here are coverage maps: http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/coverage/#3

As you can see 'location' is important as it determines availability.

ipStar and CAT have offered satellite internet services; there have been many, many threads here on those services so maybe have a read through those threads for details. My vague recollection was that nearly every subscriber was unhappy with the service.