Human Trafficking: Thailand Is Under The Spotlight

webfact

EDITORIAL

Human trafficking: Thailand is under the spotlight

By The Nation

UN Rapporteur's mission will uncover uncomfortable truths of modern-day slave trade too long ignored

The UN Rapporteur on trafficking in persons, especially women and children, Joy Ngozi Ezeilo, arrived this weekend for a two-week visit to Thailand. One can be certain that she will be looking into some very serious allegations in a wide range of industries and places, from fisheries to the brothels in towns along the border.

For as long as the fisheries industry has existed, stories of murders and outrageous abuse on the fishing boats have been commonplace.

But the problem is not just limited to crew members living in a nightmarish world out on the high seas; it has a lot to do with the folks on land as well - from the trawler owners who permit the violations to go on, to the human traffickers who provide cheap labour from neighbouring countries, namely Cambodia and Burma, in what has essentially become a modern-day slave trade.

Reports about the treatment, disappearances and murder of these fishermen never cease. Judging from various accounts, one can safely assume that a wide range of people in this trade have blood on their hands.

It is amazing that no Thai government has properly acknowledged the problems in this sector, or attempted to investigate these alleged abuses.

Does this reflect the extent of a criminal activity that operates like a powerful mafia, or it is just because our governments and society are indifferent to the plight of the foreign (Burmese and Cambodian) workers? What kind of society are we becoming (or have we already become) that we are able to turn a blind eye to such activities?

If not for humanitarian reasons, at the very least, we should acknowledge that it is the cheap labour of these foreign workers on the high seas and on factory assembly lines that helps sustain our robust economy.

The fishing industry is not alone when it comes to human trafficking, however. Border towns like Dan Nok in Songkhla, or Mae Sot in Tak, for example, are dotted with "love motels" and brothels full of sex workers from abroad. Many are said to have arrived either against their will or having been lured into the trade.

In addition to illegal workers, there are also a significant number of documented workers in Thailand whose living conditions should not overlooked.

These workers are not asking for our sympathy. All they ask is a little fairness. Considering the benefits that we received from their contributions, that is the least we should give them.

The quality of our society reflects the extent of our justice - our sense of fair play and our notion of compassion. If we can't understand that we must extend these principles and virtues to our foreign workers, regardless of their race and nationality, then we are doomed as a society.

There is a real chance that the spotlight shone by the UN Rapporteur will reveal a number of uncomfortable truths.

Don't be surprised if she concludes during her visit that Thailand has made very little real progress in countering human trafficking.

What has been going on within our borders can be easily equated to modern-day slavery. Some may complain of foreign meddling in our sovereign affairs, but let's not forget that Thailand is a signatory to a number of international conventions that may not be legally binding but do ask that we investigate these allegations.

There are also diplomatic implications. The US, for example, is required by its laws to reduce the level of cooperation with countries deemed to be dragging their feet in the fight against human trafficking. If Thailand's trafficking rating falls to Tier 3, one can be certain of serious economic repercussions.

In the final analysis, there is a role for everybody to play in the push to end trafficking. The media and civil society can employ blame-and-shame tactics, but unless the private sector, foreign consumers and the international community take up the cause and cease dealing with factories known for abusing workers, the fight against human trafficking and slavery will continue to be an uphill battle.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-09

I would say this is a large part of the problem - "or it is just because our governments and society are indifferent to the plight of the foreign (Burmese and Cambodian) workers?"

This statement is very very true! "If we can't understand that we must extend these principles and virtues to our foreign workers, regardless of their race and nationality, then we are doomed as a society." but I fear this is going to be the outcome - "Thailand is a signatory to a number of international conventions that may not be legally binding but do ask that we investigate these allegations."

These are not Thai people, we don't have a sex industry it's illegal and it's none of your business. <_<

Are you kidding me. Human trafficking is happening all around the world, right under our noses. The transportation of cheap labor from country to country has been going on for decades, all of it completely legal of course.

Countries like Australia, England and the United states are well within the green band of level 1 on the scale 1-3, one being complying with all the laws and 3 being complete non compliance. However, and this is the biggest however you may ever read in your life. This scale is not affected by the business dealings that these countries have with other countries.

Take for example my pet hate company for the moment, Apple. Great American success story. Almost all of the manufacturing of their products are manufactured in countries that operate under laws that defiantly wouldn't be acceptable in the home country of the parent company (excepting Sth Korea of course, a country that it seems Apple desperately wants to separate with). The pay rates, working conditions and work place health and safety levels are no way near that of what is expected as a minimum in either of the 3 above mentioned countries.

It seems that because a product sold on the home country domestic market but not made there, the manufacturing workers standards do not apply. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. Human trafficking where the product is the item that does the travelling, to the country that offers the lowest rates of pay at the expense of a very broad range of working conditions.

I remember visit that I made to one of my customers factories here in Thailand. This is a Chinese owned company that has exported its workforce to Thailand because it is cheaper for them to employ Thais than their own people. This company makes products for American companies. Under forced conditions from western activists most of the workers have pretty good working conditions (compared to battery hens) as the working standard for their factories is much cleaner and safer than almost all other factories here. However, when you get past the foreign activist forced conditions and into the other areas of this work place, the conditions are despicable. This is especially apparent in the middle office level.

The offices are in a 6 story building, however when the lift broke down 6 years ago it was never fixed, same is said for most of the air conditioners. The computer equipment is also in a dilapidated state, and I remember on more than one occasion seeing the old green screen monitors still being used by the staff. Most of the computer accessories like key boards and mouses are supplied by the workers themselves as they got sick and tired of the fact that simply no maintenance goes on in the office area.

This happens for the simple reason of profit. I got extremely sad when I met the Number 1 Thai CEO. He arrived in a 45M B Bentley, chauffeur driven of course, then all of the workers did all of their wais not understanding that the car the CEO just got out of was worth more than 800 of the staff at the factory would earn in a year, or about 21 of the workers would earn in their entire lifetimes.

If this kind of company behaviour isn't human trafficking by proxy, then I don't know what is.

If the west wants to stop human trafficking, then it had better get real with what its own companies are doing with their businesses before they point the bone at countries that are said to condone human trafficking. Fair rights for all workers is a good goal and should be the first step for organisations like the UN.

Well, cast your minds back to the incident a couple of years ago when several Burmese were found dead in the back of a container. The BIB were in this up to their necks, not just allowing the trade, they were running it, and no doubt they still are. It is hardly going to stop when the gamekeeper IS the poacher.

Joy will make a trip to Nana, or Soi Cowboy and state that all of the falangs there are below contempt and be on her merry way without ever knowing she was taken on the scenic route and how she had really missed the trouble spots.

Right you may be, chimiroau, but slightly off-topic as well. Poor working conditions do not equate with human trafficking. Unfair labor practice is not the same thing as human trafficking. Being a greedy, SOB does not make one a human trafficker. These are all things that should be addressed by all societies, but let's not make an already unmanageably large problem worse by making it include every injustice in the world.

Meanwhile, I applaud your sense of fair play. Keep the fire burning.

@chmiroau - I fail to see any comparison between outsourcing labor which is done by those willing to enter into contract to trade time for money. Granted sweat shops are a pathetic reality of human greed, but it doesn't compare to abducting and enslaving another human being. It may be justified if one sees the other as just another animal and not one of "us". I understand what you're saying, worker's conditions around the world are less than humane and shouldn't be allowed if nothing can be done at least one can boycott. This rant says exactly what you're saying, but only better if I say so myself

There are also diplomatic implications. The US, for example, is required by its laws to reduce the level of cooperation with countries deemed to be dragging their feet in the fight against human trafficking. If Thailand's trafficking rating falls to Tier 3, one can be certain of serious economic repercussions.

Do the 'reporters' ( term used loosely) who work for the Nation actually read the khrap they print??

From a US government report -"It is estimated that 14,500 to 17,500 people, primarily women and children, are trafficked to the U.S. annually"

Hardly makes the US a role model but it may make them hypocrites.

This sound like another excuse for a UN junket at taxpayers expense. The UN is a dog with no bite and should be scrapped.:ph34r:

Are you kidding me. Human trafficking is happening all around the world, right under our noses. The transportation of cheap labor from country to country has been going on for decades, all of it completely legal of course.

If the west wants to stop human trafficking, then it had better get real with what its own companies are doing with their businesses before they point the bone at countries that are said to condone human trafficking. Fair rights for all workers is a good goal and should be the first step for organisations like the UN.

I agree with much your post. I think the human trafficking debate is simply an excuse by westerners to moralize.

I know somebody in South Europe, where I live some of the year, who basically is a people trafficker. He tells me the young girls are mostly prostitutes. He of course has a reason to lie, but it sounds believable. If you live on a farm and are young and beautiful, would your family sell you to pay some debt? Perhaps. But most likely you yourself would decide to either go into the sex trade or spend your life on the farm or marrying some rich person. That's pretty basic.

I think developing countries should solve their own problems, though it's OK for westerners to moralize and preach (it's their right to do so). The developing countries however don't have to listen.

Edited by BigFishEatLittleFish

IMO anyone that lives in Thailand or any country bordering Thailand only because it is cheap to live here should do some soul searching, as I have done. I no longer wanted to contribute to and live off the woes of the poor people that are working here for our benefit. Also, the 300 baht a day minimum wage for workers is a good thing. Large foreign companies and property developers here who pay their workers a pittance, but in essence are charging western prices, say that they cannot afford this rate should be ashamed of themselves for even saying this. If your business model or plan includes slave labor then it isn't a very good plan. I agree that SME's will struggle for a bit but these large corporate entities and businesses operating in Thailand have no excuse.

And I also feel that any country that leaves no opportunity for a large portion of it's young people to earn a living and take care of their families, other than to enter into the sex trade is perverse. This is one of the major factors in my deciding to leave Thailand.

" It is amazing that no Thai government has properly acknowledged the problems in this sector, or attempted to investigate these alleged abuses "

I sometimes think that the Nation editorial writers live in some alternate universe. Sadly the facts as given in the above quote don't amaze me at all

Edited by mca

" It is amazing that no Thai government has properly acknowledged the problems in this sector, or attempted to investigate these alleged abuses "

I sometimes think that the Nation editorial writers live in some alternate universe. Sadly the facts as given in the above quote don't amaze me at all

I think the "losing face" phenomenon has something to do with not admitting a problem. :ermm: