Boat carrying more than 100 people sinks near Comoros, killing at least 50

News_Editor

Boat carrying more than 100 people sinks near Comoros, killing at least 50

2011-08-10 05:03:03 GMT+7 (ICT)

MORONI (BNO NEWS) -- At least 50 people have been killed after a passenger boat sank off the Indian Ocean island nation of Comoros on early Tuesday morning, officials said. Dozens more have been rescued.

The accident happened at around 3 a.m. local time south of the main island of Grande Comore. The boat, which was carrying more than 110 people, had earlier left the capital of Moroni and was en-route to the island of Anjouan.

State-run media reported that the accident happened after the boat suffered an engine failure and subsequently hit a large rock, causing it to capsize. Comoros Public Prosecutor Soilih Mahmou said at least 50 bodies had been recovered as of late Tuesday evening, but cautioned that others are still missing.

At least 60 people survived the sinking and were treated at the nearest district hospitals in Foumbouni and Ouziwani, but it was not exactly clear how many people were on board the boat when it sank. Officials had initially said 105 people were on board - 93 passengers and 12 crew members - but the combined number of fatalities and survivors surpassed 105 while officials acknowledged more were still missing.

In a speech to the nation, Comoros President Ikililou Dhoinine offered his condolences over the sinking. "According to the information available to me, dozens of people were saved thanks to the speed and effectiveness of the intervention by the Center for Emergency Operations and the mobilization of the entire population," Dhoinine said. "However, at this time when I address you, we also mourn the many victims, some of whom are still missing as bodies are being recovered."

The Comoros leader, who only took office in May, said upon being notified he immediately ordered the suspension of all activities and work in Comoros so everyone could assist in the rescue operations. "I have also declared three days of national mourning during which we will gather in our mosques, our towns and villages, to pray for the dead," Dhoinine said. "At this time of hardship, pain and grief, my thoughts are with the victims, their friends and families. I want to ensure, in these difficult hours, my total solidarity and send my sincere condolences and deepest sympathy to the families."

Dhoinine said it was too early to say what led to the tragedy. "However, I want to say as head of state and president of a country where the sea and maritime transport are part of everyday life, I cannot accept that citizens continue to die in shipwrecks in Comoros."

The president added that he will not allow failures and negligence to lead to boat accidents. "If human errors are involved [in this accident], they will be made to answer to justice. I promise," he said.

Boats are a popular form of transport between the archipelago's islands and between the nearby island of Mayotte, which is a French territory and is in a better economic situation than the Comoros. Boat accidents happen regularly in the Comoros islands, although incidents such as on Tuesday are not.

The sinking is the worst disaster to hit the nation since Yemenia flight 626 crashed in the Indian Ocean near Comoros, killing 152 people. A 12-year-old girl was the sole survivor and had been holding on to wreckage for 13 hours.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-08-10