Car Battery Charger

Ping

I'm looking for a reasonably heavy duty car battery charger. None seem to be available in Patong, and I'm told they can only be bought in Phuket Town, but no-one seems to know precisely where. Advice from anyone who knows for a fact where they can be bought would be highly appreciated.

The big tool shop mid way between Bangkok Hospital and Lotus. Coming from Lotus it's on the right about 20m before the traffic lights where you turn sharp right. Bangkok Hardware Samkong Road. Often referred to the Bosche shop as it has a big sign with a Bosche Drill.

The big tool shop mid way between Bangkok Hospital and Lotus. Coming from Lotus it's on the right about 20m before the traffic lights where you turn sharp right. Bangkok Hardware Samkong Road. Often referred to the Bosche shop as it has a big sign with a Bosche Drill.

seconded to boil up a battery with high amps in few hours

however advanced chargers like c-teck can be found at harley shop on bypassroad. 1500-3000 baht as i recall

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased at the shop mentioned by LiK. Large, weird looking thing, with adjustable voltage and amperage outputs. B4300 for a ten amp job (good enough for my purposes), not much dearer for higher amp outputs.

Purchased at the shop mentioned by LiK. Large, weird looking thing, with adjustable voltage and amperage outputs. B4300 for a ten amp job (good enough for my purposes), not much dearer for higher amp outputs.

Optimal charging of a large 12volt battery is 14,45 Volt at 25C airtemp. 10 amp is plenty

Rule of thumb when static charging batteries is take the battery Amp/hour rating and divide by ten, the charging current should not exceed this. The C-Tek chargers are are step above the average battery charger and can be used as battery charge maintainers and are specifically designed to do unattended charging for seldom used equipment. I have one on my car in Oz and only go back every 6 months or so. Whilst the Ctek will function well as a basic charger, it really is a step above that type of usage and probably an expensive option for a quick battery charge.

Cheers, Litlos

About 2000 baht in SuperCheap...I went there 2 weeks ago but just decided to buy a new battery instead as they are about the same price.

I need to buy a new battery for my toyota Vigo, any body know how much it will cost me and which model should i buy? Thanks for your help.

About 2000 baht in SuperCheap...I went there 2 weeks ago but just decided to buy a new battery instead as they are about the same price.

I need to buy a new battery for my toyota Vigo, any body know how much it will cost me and which model should i buy? Thanks for your help.

Boliden, not cheap at approx 3000 baht, but one of the few survivors in this climate, maintance free. Best seller in middle east.

one shop is Chao fa east, at the south entrance to Villa California, opposite the market.

keep the warranty card and make sure they stamp sale date on battery as warranty is like 18-24 months

• 5 weeks later...

I've had problems with electrical items at 'bargain prices' at Supercheap. I prefer to pay a bit more elsewhere for ease of mind.

Send me a PM, i have a few brand new CTEK's sitting in the garage and i'll let one go for what i paid for it.

Go to http://www.ctek.com/en to see if it meets your needs.

edit: http://www.ctek.com/en/chargers/MXS%203.6

I got a few of these, i'm into the 6th year on mine and never needed to crack a new one open.

Edited by katasyd
  • Like 1

I've had problems with electrical items at 'bargain prices' at Supercheap. I prefer to pay a bit more elsewhere for ease of mind.

Send me a PM, i have a few brand new CTEK's sitting in the garage and i'll let one go for what i paid for it.

edit: http://www.ctek.com/...rgers/MXS%203.6

I got a few of these, i'm into the 6th year on mine and never needed to crack a new one open.

ctek, excellent quality chargers, providing exactly what a battery needs in voltage/amp/cycles, and can double/tripple batterys lifetime by connecting over night a couple of times a month. can be connected for months

the trafos at supercheap can destroy a battery in one charge

how much are you asking for which ctek model?

edit: http://www.ctek.com/...rgers/MXS%203.6

ctek, excellent quality chargers, providing exactly what a battery needs in voltage/amp/cycles, and can double/tripple batterys lifetime by connecting over night a couple of times a month. can be connected for months

the trafos at supercheap can destroy a battery in one charge

how much are you asking for which ctek model?

MXS 3.6 and i paid 3500 baht for it in BKK.

I bought 3 to keep the cars charged when not in use but one has been working flawlessly for years.

I'm only willing to get rid of one because knowing my luck, mine will break and i won't have one for myself.

If Ping don't want it, you're welcome to it.

Thanks for the offer, syd - but as you'll see earlier in the thread, I've already bought one. All yours, beachbum.

thanks, but I v got a similar charger since 11 years. battery survival. its so worn and ugly I cant even read the brand name any more, but it does exactly the same as a ctek

• 1 year later...

good old TV members , helping me again :)

I need to purchase one of these . My motor battery just continually goes flat . Its been in and out of garages both here and Bangkok over the last 12 months and no-one can find the problem .

So what im after is a charger that will give the battery enough juice to fire up the engine each time I need to start the car.

And to Hans

Maybe you have an idea for the soution on this ?

Cheers all

good old TV members , helping me again smile.png

I need to purchase one of these . My motor battery just continually goes flat . Its been in and out of garages both here and Bangkok over the last 12 months and no-one can find the problem .

So what im after is a charger that will give the battery enough juice to fire up the engine each time I need to start the car.

And to Hans

Maybe you have an idea for the soution on this ?

Cheers all

Typical life of a battery here, even the sealed type, is 3 years (if you get 4 or 5 it's a bonus). I'd recommend just buying a new one (or a good reconditioned one from somewhere like the Battery Doctor? on Chaofa East). A new one will set you back circa 2000 baht (for something like a 50 amp/h) to 3000 for something more heavy duty (80 amp/h). You should also get 200/300 baht for your old battery. I've had a bad year for batteries, had to change 4 (2 in my boat, and 1 each in my Toyota and Honda).

New Battery ,sad.png

12 months gone through 5 allready . circa 3,500thb each. dry and wet options . just fed up with the car sitting in garages while they try to find the problem.

A quick surge to just start the motor .

Would try to get it wired though to the interior so I can switch the charger on and off from the drivers seat and recharge the charger when needed

Edited by N47HAN

New Battery ,sad.png

12 months gone through 5 allready . circa 3,500thb each. dry and wet options . just fed up with the car sitting in garages while they try to find the problem.

dont mind a quick surge to just start the motor .

Would try to get it wired though to the interior so I can switch the charger on and off from the drivers seat and recharge the charger when needed

OK, didn't realise the scale of problem, and it doesn't sound like it's the batteries themselves. Although I now use independents for new batteries, I think in your case I'd take it to a main dealer for a new one (which will have a 12 month warranty). If the problem continues and they're replacing (FOC) batteries at your current rate, I'm sure they'll get motivated quickly to source the real problem.

• Like 1

My experience on batteries - 3 years life would be good. I have tried all types all brands over many years, some last 2 years, at best 3 years.

I guess I must get the good one's, they last three years in this heat.

New Battery ,sad.png

A quick surge to just start the motor .

Go to a auto electrician and have the rate your alternator is charging at checked it sounds like your batteries are being cooked by overcharging

My experience on batteries - 3 years life would be good. I have tried all types all brands over many years, some last 2 years, at best 3 years.

I guess I must get the good one's, they last three years in this heat.

same, same but you must make sure the acid level is right to get a long life from a battery

Edited by petercallen