Uk Visa

Hi,

First of all I'd like to say that I have read quite a few threads about obtaining a UK visa on this forum. However, notwithstanding that it appears that not every case is the same, hence my new post.

I like everyone else have met a lovely TG and would like her to come to England. Being just 19 she needs to get her mum & dad to ok for passport which they are cool with. However, I'm a bit unsure about the visa issue. She seems to think if we marry in Thailand it will be easier for her to come to England and she can get permanent visa for England (without me having to marry her in England). I don't mind marrying in Thailand but don't want to marry in England at this early stage. Indeed I am still married myself but won't be in April when she proposes we marry in Thailand. I also noticed that for an "unmarried visa" you have to prove you have been together 2 years and we have only known each other since May of this year.

Is what she says true about this marriage visa and is it easier to obtain than a 6 months visitors visa? We'd prefer a longer visa if possible. Secondly, I see that they are intending to reduce the backlog. If we did go for the marriage visa I assume you cannot apply in advance of the marriage!!!

Thirdly, I was giving her cash for condo and so she doesn't need to work which she has paid into her account. However, would it be better for me to transfer some cash from my account to hers so that the embassy can see the full transparency of the transaction?

I have house and good job so that's no problem from my point of view. Is her being a bar girl on application a problem? Her English is very good. Somebody did say to me that it's not advisable to put BG on application as they assume she's coming to England to work as a BG !!!

I'd greatly appreciate your help on this matter and if you can think of anything else I haven't considered.

Thanks

Hi,

Firstly, and most importantly: Do not marry her just to get a visa!!!!

You say, I don't mind marrying in Thailand but don't want to marry in England at this early stage. If you marry her in Thailand, then you are married! Under the Foreign Marriages Act of 18something, the UK recognises any marriage that is legally recognised in the country where it took place. Indeed, if you marry her in Thailand, then you cannot marry her in the UK as you will, in the eyes of UK law, already be married.

If you are sure that this is the woman you want to spend the rest of your life with, then there are 3 ways of doing it.

1) A Fiance Visa. This means that she is granted a 6 month visa to enter the UK for the express purpose of marrying you. The marriage must take place within the 6 month life of the visa, and after the marriage she applies for Further Leave to Remain, which lasts for 2 years. At the end of the FLR she applies for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

2) A Spouse Visa. You marry in Thailand and the visa lasts for 2 years, at the end of which she applies for ILR. IMHO this is the preferred option as it cuts out the FLR stage and saves that fee (currently £335 by post or £500 in person).

For both visas you, obviously, must be free to marry, so you will need your decree absolute. You can apply before you have this, and before the marriage. Simply include a covering letter saying that you intend to marry on (date) and asking for an interview on (a slightly later date). Even if you decide on a FV you will still need your decree absolute, as you need to be free to marry her.

3) Unmarried Partners Visa, then you need to prove that you have lived together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least the last 2 years. Same address, with proof of that etc. Like a SV it lasts for 2 years, at the end of which she applies for ILR.

On the money front, you need to show that you can support and accommodate her without recourse to public funds, so you will need to show your bank and income details as well as details of where you will be living, with proof of ownership if you do own or a letter of consent from your landlord if you rent.

Do not consider doing any of the above unless you are sure you want to spend the rest of your life with her!

For a visit visa, the ECO will be considering 3 main criteria.

1) Is the reason for the visit genuine, i.e. for the purpose stated on the application?

How long is your relationship? Have you proof of contact? Showing that you are supporting her will help, too.

2) Can the applicant fund the visit and be suitably accommodated, either from their own resources or with help from a sponsor.

Not usually a problem in these circumstances, but the sponsor needs to prove income etc. Do not be tempted to pad her bank account prior to the application, they will see through this. If you are paying for the visit, then it's unnecessary anyway.

3) Will the applicant return to Thailand, or at least leave the UK, when or before the visa expires?

Often a stumbling block. Does she own property? Have a job?

A visit visa can be difficult to get, but not impossible. If the ECO feels that she intends to try and remain in the UK with you then he may refuse. However, as it is no longer possible to marry if in the UK with a visit visa, this one is easier to overcome. However, the ECO also needs to be satisfied that she is a genuine visitor, and is not going to leave you and disappear once she is here, hence the need to prove the relationship. Remember, it is her intentions that the ECO will be assessing, not yours.

She used to be a bar girl, so what? The ECOs are not stupid, and know that many Farang men meet their girlfriend in a bar. I suspect that they assume that most do! As long as you can prove a long and stable relationship this wont be a problem, but if you have only known her for a short time, then forget it. See my comments in this thread

Do not be tempted to lie! If the ECO suspects that she is lying about how you met and her previous occupation then he will try to trip her up, and will succeed! If she is caught in a lie, then no visa!

Edited by GU22