Hey Yingluck! You'Re A Woman...

engrin

Helping woman won't help her politically. She's no feminist and has made that very clear. Expect nothing and you will be well satisfied. If not for her brother and family, who would she be anyway?

Edited by Jingthing

A post containing derogatory comments directed at Thai women has been removed.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Why do people think that because PM Yingluck is a woman she's all out for feminist rights?

laugh.gif

Perhaps it is simply hope? But you're right some of the worst sexists towards women, are women. It is very much ingrained into all societies, still.

If she is somewhat autonomous, there is hope she might address some of the feminist issues such as unfair practices regarding men and child support in Thailand.

Edited by TigerWan

Helping woman won't help her politically.

I think that is a mistake. Smart politicians know women are half the population. I really am not read up ono the subject but I do know Thai women suffer much inequity within the law.

Just look at low paying jobs that advertise female only. Higher paying for men only. I find that most unfair.

Why do people think that because PM Yingluck is a woman she's all out for feminist rights?

laugh.gif

Perhaps it is simply hope? But you're right some of the worst sexists towards women, are women. It is very much ingrained into all societies, still.

If she is somewhat autonomous, there is hope she might address some of the feminist issues such as unfair practices regarding men and child support in Thailand.

I certainly mean you no disrespect but would you assign a number to what you think women's problems as far as child support and alimony are concerned rank among the challenges Yingluck faces today. I think it is about at 496 maybe 498 but then I am not really sure. How many problems did the last administration solve? Not of course that that is any indication. Although Thai Visa members gave it quite a bit of support and I am sure that helped.

Helping woman won't help her politically. She's no feminist and has made that very clear. Expect nothing and you will be well satisfied. If not for her brother and family, who would she be anyway?

I am not sure if you are aware but feminism is not a precursor for helping women. Many young women actually have differing opinions to that of feminists.

But sometimes negativity keeps the neck red? :D

laugh.gif

I certainly mean you no disrespect but would you assign a number to what you think women's problems as far as child support and alimony are concerned rank among the challenges Yingluck faces today. I think it is about at 496 maybe 498 but then I am not really sure. How many problems did the last administration solve? Not of course that that is any indication. Although Thai Visa members gave it quite a bit of support and I am sure that helped.

Ha Ha Not sure if you ar ebeing funny, but it was

I think your assessment is actually very male oriented. I would advise Ms. Yingluck to start helping women specifically as the basis of any change she may genuinely wish for. Get the lower class , women are poor in this country, on a road they can travel up on, and the Nation will certainly benefit from a new order of social conscience ..

Oh I know it's all so fruitless let's just gab at gibberish but really I think it would be # 223 as females are half and there are a shitload of single mothers with NO assistance from B D and I don't mean to label issues [Note to self; word feminist in italics so as to disassociate. k ]

Edited by TigerWan

laugh.gif

Ha Ha Not sure if you ar ebeing funny, but it was

I think your assessment is actually very male oriented. I would advise Ms. Yingluck to start helping women specifically as the basis of any change she may genuinely wish for. Get the lower class , women are poor in this country, on a road they can travel up on, and the Nation will certainly benefit from a new order of social conscience ..

Oh I know it's all so fruitless let's just gab at gibberish but really I think it would be # 223 as females are half and there are a shitload of single mothers with NO assistance from B D and I don't mean to label issues [Note to self; word feminist in italics so as to disassociate. k ]

Not all women in Thailand are poor. I'm sure the new PM isn't. But some men are also poor, shouldn't she be helping them as well? Is it only women that should be helped.

Surely as the leader of a country she should be helping ALL, not assisting based on someone's sex. THAT is discrimination.

Help women and you help an entire family.

This is why the man in India who won the Nobel prize for his micro loans to poor women was so successful.

Men already are preferred for higher paying jobs, and they aren't helping women at home. How many men really do the day to day child rearing , cooking and cleaning that women are expected to do in addition to working.

The entire system exploits women with little compensation.

I could go further and argue the entire immigration system and FBA acts are about marrying off Thai women in a systemic manner which I find little different from trafficking.

Help women and you help an entire family.

This is why the man in India who won the Nobel prize for his micro loans to poor women was so successful.

Men already are preferred for higher paying jobs, and they aren't helping women at home. How many men really do the day to day child rearing , cooking and cleaning that women are expected to do in addition to working.

The entire system exploits women with little compensation.

I could go further and argue the entire immigration system and FBA acts are about marrying off Thai women in a systemic manner which I find little different from trafficking.

Men are preferred for higher paying jobs in my country too. But it has nothing to do with a woman's ability.

We do not employ women anymore. Simply put, employing a woman is far more costly than employing a man. The women take more time off work, they get paid maternity leave and then we have to put them in the same job when they left. They then demand equal pay, even though they've been out of the job for over a year whilst the man has worked his butt off. When they do come back from maternity leave they want to work only a couple of days a weak and shorter hours each day, which of course we must allow.

Women are getting more government jobs but I'm afraid the ones fighting for equal rights in my country have shot themselves in the foot because private businesses just will not employ women because of the increased cost and disruptive effect on other employees.

Has this forum been renamed Feminism Anonymous and I missed it?

tigerwan quote

How many men really do the day to day child rearing , cooking and cleaning that women are expected to do in addition to working.

unquote

None that I know of. Womens work.

If the woman isn't working then I agree. If she is working then I always help, though I get kicked out of the kitchen because of food poisoning fears. :D

tigerwan quote

How many men really do the day to day child rearing , cooking and cleaning that women are expected to do in addition to working.

unquote

And why should men do that at all?

Almost everything you see has been created by men. The roads, the BTS, the shopping centers....

These men work their ass off 12 hours per day. And then some feminists come and demand even more work at home.

:bah:

That's interesting you mention roads and shopping centres. These two things,( IMO) are the epitome of all that is wrong with modern day society, unchecked consumerism and environmental degradation to facilitate oil consumption.

That's interesting you mention roads and shopping centres. These two things,( IMO) are the epitome of all that is wrong with modern day society, unchecked consumerism and environmental degradation to facilitate oil consumption.

Ahhh, so you are a feminist AND a tree hugger.

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the 'lady' section.

My gosh you would be fun at a party.

Helping woman won't help her politically.

I think that is a mistake. Smart politicians know women are half the population. I really am not read up ono the subject but I do know Thai women suffer much inequity within the law.

Just look at low paying jobs that advertise female only. Higher paying for men only. I find that most unfair.

It may well be a mistake from the perspective of seeking advancement of women's rights, but hardly a mistake from the perspective of a politician attempting to fish for the maximum number of votes.

Profiling yourself as a women's rights activist might attract some more female voters, true. But it would likely also alienate and piss off many in the male voter base. Take a closer look at the main characteristics of the demographic supporting Thaksin and the red shirts. I dont think it is the right place to seek support for feminist reform.

tigerwan quote

unquote

And why should men do that at all?

Almost everything you see has been created by men. The roads, the BTS, the shopping centers....

These men work their ass off 12 hours per day. And then some feminists come and demand even more work at home.

:bah:

Haven't noticed that the Thai construction industry has many more female workers than what is common in the West?

laugh.gif

There are laws regarding child support in Thailand.

What "practices" is it you find to be unfair?

Goodness, this is a nasty rude thread full of people who seem to think its 1911 and not 2011.

Either we get back on topic and remain civil and act like we have some kind of good manners or it gets closed as I won't tolerate this kind of thing in the ladies forum.

^

It was in general topics and is a worthy discussion. I think it's important to have these kind of dialogs in a general forum It helps to air what are shockingly sexist views that often go quite under the radar.

If they are sexist , and feel sexist, then let's all know about it. I think it is actually been a very civil conversation and I'm sorry it has moved to the " Ladies" room ( Toileted? ) where no doubt it will now have little interest , successfully quelled?

I really am just a person, who is female so I can't identify with " Lady " as it seems to force a certain adherence to standards I find to be applied to women only. ( Like not discuss sexism.)

" Ladies" concerns are..hair dressers and maids? Art, Culture?

I respond to the last question by Mike

I think too many men in Thailand get away with NOT paying child support . Yes rules are there , but no enforced.

I think women in Thailand are chattel as evidenced by Sin Sot, the rampant wholesaling of daughters in to the sex industry and rules like not giving female heads of household official status like say after the Andaman Tsunami .

Having Ms. as a title choice is a beginning.

Now, are these " Feminist" issues? Well what's a feminist? Women are people and have different views so to say all women who think the child support rules are too lax, are they feminists? Abortion rights?

So I would say on general Feminists are about equality in opportunity and law.

Edited by TigerWan