3Rd Time Lucky

After been refused twice already it was good to get my g/f tourist visa granted.

Visa was granted on 9/8/11. I am told her passport will have a stamp 10/8/11 until 11/11/11

I am thinking thats very short notice to make travel arrangments.

We cant call the Irish consulate in Bkk as they are closed until Monday.

I presume she can only travel between these dates

Anybody know how to proceed. her plan was to travel in October hoping to stay for maybe 90 days

I read somewhere she will be told how long she can stay in Ireland, when she arrives at Dublin airport

Thanks in advance

Pat :jap:

http://www.inis.gov....a%20Information

"A visa is a form of pre-entry clearance. It does not guarantee permission to enter Ireland. A short-stay ( C) visa is for stays of up to 90 days. A long-stay (D) visa is for stays of longer than 90 days.

An Immigration Officer at the port of entry decides whether or not to admit a person to the State. The Immigration Officer also decides how long a person may remain in Ireland."

NB. quote from the above web site.

If the visa is anything like the UK visa, the dates determine the period which the applicant can be present in the country. ie. can enter on 10/8/11 and must leave by 11/11/11. However there does seem to be some ambiguity where "The immigration officer also decides how long a person may remain in Ireland"

From what you say, it would on the face of it appear she has a "C" visa, but check. If she travels in October, she may only have 1 month or less in Ireland.

Hope this is of help...

After arriving in Ireland

An individual who holds a valid visa does not necessarily have permission to stay in Ireland. The date of validity shown on the visa indicates only the date before which it must be presented to an Immigration Officer. The length of stay is decided by an Immigration Officer at the port of entry and will reflect the purpose of your journey. Irish law does not provide for a permanent residence visa.

from http://www.irishabroad.com/travel/info-ireland/visa-ireland.aspx

Hi Pat,

The 11/11/11 is the last day she can enter Ireland. If she entered Ireland on the 10/11/11 she will not have to leave the country on the 11th

These dates are for when your gf can enter the country. same with the start date, she cannot enter before 9/8/11.

When she arrives in Dublin airport the immigration officer will stamp her passport and will stamp the visa with the date in which she has to leave the country (max 90 days from date of arrival

Also to make everything a hell of a lot easier, travel with her if you can and dont travel through the UK where you have to enter immigration, then Dublin immigration for a second time.

When me and my gf arrived at the airport i went to the non eu passport queue with my gf and presented both passports. The immigration office just asked me when we intend to leave again and we showed him our flight itinerary. Our return flight was on the 29th of July and thats what he stamped on her passport, that was 88 days after we arrived.

If we didnt have that info, in theory, he could stamp a date saying she has to leave the following week..... unlikely tho.

I saw some girls travelling alone and they were quizzed alot and a friend of mine said his gf was asked loads of questions and then the immigration officer called him to verify. so easier to travel with her like i did.

Gald to hear you got the visa, best of luck with your tee rak :)

Edited by robio7

Thanks Rob,

The problem when g/f got her letter from her job asking for time off to come to Ireland we were afraid to ask for more than 5 weeks, (41 days) so I purchased flights for her to stay about 5 weeks. Departing Bkk 4th October Returing on 15th November. I guess that all she will get.

I take your point about us travelling together, as i will be in Ireland when she is leaving Thailand thats not possible. But for her first time to get a visa for Ireland i did not want to be too pushy, because she was refused twice before. we are hoping she gets the 90 days. but not expecting too much. I will be at the Airport to meet her. Her English is not too bad. Pat