Nokia Dieing Slowly

supashot

^ I would look for second models which you've found to be bullet-proof in the past, or buy a new E52. I'm sure you can find one?

Have you looked through the Nokia catalog?

Asha 300? C5-00?

Neither have WiFi. Maybe close but not the complete deal.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it seems you want:

--Long battery life

--wifi

--no QWERTY keyboard

--3.5mm audio jack with good audio

--a good camera

--memory card

--prefer clam-shell style, is that right?

--prefer non-touchscreen, but can accept one if necessary.

Does that sum it up fairly?

You might try using this Phone Finder search function to narrow your choices and play with different configurations as suit your priorities:

http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3

It's not a clamshell, but here's one that seems to fit your other criteria:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n79-2497.php

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

^ I would look for second models which you've found to be bullet-proof in the past, or buy a new E52. I'm sure you can find one?

Have you looked through the Nokia catalog?

Asha 300? C5-00?

Neither have WiFi. Maybe close but not the complete deal.

X3-02

C3-01

I am pretty sure you could find a new E52 if you wanted to have it handy?

Edited by lomatopo

So it seems you want:

--Long battery life

--wifi

--no QWERTY keyboard

--3.5mm audio jack with good audio

--a good camera

--memory card

--prefer clam-shell style, is that right?

--prefer non-touchscreen, but can accept one if necessary.

Does that sum it up fairly?

You might try using this Phone Finder search function to narrow your choices and play with different configurations as suit your priorities:

http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3

It's not a clamshell, but here's one that seems to fit your other criteria:

http://www.gsmarena....ia_n79-2497.php

If all else fails, I'll likely try to buy another E52 off eBay. The E52 has much better battery life than the N79.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this news release item re Nokia and MWC in Barcelona, Spain.

On Monday, February 27, the first day of Mobile World Congress, Nokia (NYSE: NOK) will host a press conference, where it will announce significant industry news. [???] The press conference will be hosted by Stephen Elop, Nokia's president and CEO. Due to the pending public transportation disruption, doors will be opened, and accredited media admitted starting at 08:00 a.m. CET.

For those unable to attend, we will offer a live webcast of the press conference at: www.nokia.com/mwc"

The direct link for the webcast starting at 8:30 am CET (Barcelona, Spain time) Monday is here. It looks like Spain time is 6 hours earlier from Thailand, meaning it will be 2:30 am Monday Thai time:

http://www.nokia.com/global/about-nokia/webcast-mwc/webcast/

http://www.neowin.ne...-news-on-monday

This new low-end WMP device, Lumia 610, stripped of some Windows Phone features will expand the addressable market....

As we reported recently, we believe that Nokia will announce two additions to its Lumia Windows Phone range: a ‘world’ version of its Lumia 900 flagship (which for now remains an AT&T exclusive); and a new entry-level device, possibly called the Lumia 610. This latter handset will bring Windows Phone to new low price points, and is expected to be running a new version of the operating system, codenamed ‘Tango’, which is optimised for lower-end devices and is believed to be stripped of some Windows Phone features, such as SkyDrive photo-synchronisation and disabled third-party Live Tile support.

Edited by lomatopo

I used to use a N86 8MP which I bought October 2010.

Did have some problems with Ovi-Suite, downloads and use of the GPS which required a re-boot before being able to find a satellite.

Last Saturday I received one call which I answered on my way out from Bangkok towards Chonburi. At some point I needed my GPS to get me out of the area and point me in the right direction...........screen was white, turning the phone off and on again didn't help.

Anyway, at home in Pattaya I headed to Power Buy and got me a Samsung DUOS Champ (THB 2,500) and guess what? The next morning my Nokia was working again. Will bring it to the Nokia service center and sell it at TukCom.........for me NEVER a Nokia again (it was not the first Nokia with technical problems).

5 new phones from Nokia at MWC

Asha 202, 203 and 302. Lumia 610 with windows phone and Nokia 808 Pureview with Symbian Belle and amazing 41 MP camera and full surround sound with Dolby Digital Plus.

Lumia 900 LTE version to Canada in April and globally without LTE but with new increased HSPA speeds on Q2.

Other announcements:

- MS Exchange support for S40 Asha devices

- New html5 version of Maps with new Drive app that gives full offline navigation and can save routes etc

- Nokia Reading news stream, ebooks, audio book etc app.

- Nokia Transport app for public transport in 500 cities

- Skype for WP7.5 available now for download

- WP lowered hardware requirements to allow cheaper phones like Lumia 610

- WP7.5 and Lumia phones coming for Chinese operators (CDMA phones)

- Partnership with Groupon and others like Redbull

- Operator billing available with 150 operators

^ While better than a sharp stick in the eye, the Nokia announcements seem underwhelming, disjointed, and well, half-assed. Three S40 phones, hopefully Asha means something auspicious in Pali? A crippled WMP 610? A Lumia 900 for Canada, Hoser. And a bunch of drivel. Very disappointing. Perhaps the high point is the camera phone? Get out the paddles. Clear.

This is getting confusing.... yikes... Let me see if I can begin to take a stab at this:

--Mango is another OS name for Microsoft's latest, full-featured Windows Phone 7.5 smartphone OS.

--Tango is another OS name for the lower hardware specced Windows Phone models aimed at emerging countries and lower price points.

--Lumia is Nokia's newest smartphone handset series with versions of Windows Phone 7 as its OS.

--Asha is Nokia's new feature phone handset series that has an updated version (Asha) of Nokia's S40 Symbian OS.

--The 808 Pureview model mentioned above appears to be running Symbian Belle OS and is not a WP. It sounds like one of the appeals for that model is that its video recording goes as high as Full HD 1080p at 30 fps. It's designed as a successor to the former N8 model.

--The low-price entry Lumia 610 will have WP Tango (not Mango) and only a single core (not double core or higher) processor at 800 Mhz.

--Because of the need to reach emerging markets, Nokia announced the minimum requirements for devices to run Windows Phone 7 now are just 256MB of RAM on devices with Qualcomm 7x278 family of chips.

Interestingly, the Nokia USA website does NOT show any Asha models in their USA inventory, and only one Lumia, the 710 at present, with the 900 coming soon.

BTW, Windows PC OS 8 and Windows Phone 8 are coming in coming months. And from what I've been able to gather, there's no commitment that the current Windows Phone 7.5 Mango phones (Nokia or other) will be upgraded or upgradeable to Win Phone 8 when it arrives.

BTW, Asha supposedly means "truth" while Lumia means "art created with light."

^ While better than a sharp stick in the eye, the Nokia announcements seem underwhelming, disjointed, and well, half-assed. Three S40 phones, hopefully Asha means something auspicious in Pali? A crippled WMP 610? A Lumia 900 for Canada, Hoser. And a bunch of drivel. Very disappointing. Perhaps the high point is the camera phone? Get out the paddles. Clear.

You obviously did not watch the webcast, it was much clearer than your post drunk.gif

Is't it so that Tango is a upgrade from Mango. But also includes support for lower end hardware. I.e. there is no two OS versions, Tango just adds the support for entry level devices.

What many media outlets seem to have missed is the part where Elop talked about their new partnerships. 150 operators in their operator billing scheme and how much it actually increases sales on apps and services and so on....

You obviously did not watch the webcast, it was much clearer than your post drunk.gif

And presumably clearer than your post, which I assumed was a reasonable summary, so felt the desire to comment. Oooh, operator billing scheme, how exciting, is that something I can buy. :rolleyes:

And presumably clearer than your post, which I assumed was a reasonable summary, so felt the desire to comment. Oooh, operator billing scheme, how exciting, is that something I can buy. rolleyes.gif

Let's say it makes your buying more comfortable and based on Nokia brings quite a bit value to their operator partners and their customers.

Take developing markets in Africa, China and say India. How many subs have credit card to log in to android market vs. subs without it. There's potential.

Is't it so that Tango is a upgrade from Mango. But also includes support for lower end hardware. I.e. there is no two OS versions, Tango just adds the support for entry level devices.

I stand corrected. Thanks for that! Here's what The Verge wrote on the subject two days ago:

Microsoft announced today that it will bring a Windows Phone 7.5 update to existing handsets in April. Codenamed Tango, the update lowers Microsoft's minimum specification for Windows Phone and introduces some new features to existing devices. We got an early hands-on look at several builds of Windows Phone today, all of which include new MMS features and several restrictions for devices with 256MB of RAM.

Microsoft is removing background agents with Windows Phone Tango if a device has 256MB of RAM, meaning certain background tasks will not work. Microsoft believes around 95 percent of existing applications will work fine on 256MB of RAM, but the company is encouraging developers to test their applications and is undergoing a testing process of existing Marketplace apps. Windows Phone users will also be warned in applications or in the about screen of their device about limitations from using a Tango device. SkyDrive automatic uploads and Bing Local Scout have both been removed from devices with 256MB of RAM too.

http://www.theverge....-pictures-video

And PC Mag added:

And even though Tango is primarily designed to enable low-cost devices for a wider range of countries than Windows Phones have appeared in before, it'll bring a few new features to higher-end phones as well. The OS update adds the ability to attach multiple pictures, audio notes and ringtones to MMS messages, for instance.

The update will come to phones during the second quarter of this year, Sullivan said.

http://www.pcmag.com...,2400853,00.asp

By the way, here's the kind of talk/speculation going around about whether Windows Phone 7 handsets may not be upgraded/upgradeable to Windows Phone 8 when it's due to be released later this year. But apparently nothing official on the subject from MS as yet.

http://www.itproport...dows-8-upgrade/

The news reports appear to be pretty confusing about this...

There's times when the talk is about whether Windows Phone 7 handsets will be upgraded/upgradeable to the next Windows Phone 8 (Apollo) OS... Just like there's always ups and downs now about whether particular Android handset manufacturers will or won't upgrade existing handsets from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich OS. Some handset models get upgrades, and others don't.

But then there appears to be a different discussion about whether applications (apps) written by software developers to work with Windows Phone 7 will be able to be used without modification in Windows Phone 8 devices. I'm not sure that's the same discussion and debate as the first one above, or that a yes answer regarding the apps question translates into handset OS upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...

Did have some problems with Ovi-Suite, downloads and use of the GPS which required a re-boot before being able to find a satellite.

Last Saturday I received one call which I answered on my way out from Bangkok towards Chonburi. At some point I needed my GPS to get me out of the area and point me in the right direction...........screen was white, turning the phone off and on again didn't help.

Anyway, at home in Pattaya I headed to Power Buy and got me a Samsung DUOS Champ (THB 2,500) and guess what? The next morning my Nokia was working again. Will bring it to the Nokia service center and sell it at TukCom.........for me NEVER a Nokia again (it was not the first Nokia with technical problems).

Went to the Nokia Service Center last weekend. Explained the problem and luckily, the problem still existed.

I was asked THB 200 deposit on the investigation cost of THB 500, because the phone was out of warranty. I asked why should I pay THB 200 deposit on a phone of THB 16,900 that is in your possession? Policy of course!!

Anyway......they phoned me (as promised) with an estimate on the repair-cost: THB 4,800 for a new display and some cover part. I told them NOT to repair it.

They were puzzled: "Misterrrr, telephone is not old........can repair no problem"

My answer: "If the phone is not that old, then some leniency would be in place." Big silence followed.

BTW, I'm very happy with my Samsung of THB 2,500.

• 2 weeks later...

Nokia (NOK) Has a Killer for Apple's (AAPL) 'Poorly Designed' iPhone

March 20, 2012 10:47 AM EDT

Nokia (NYSE: NOK) shares are trading higher amid reports it is planning and progressing on building an "iPhone killer."

Tuesday morning, BGR.com reported an interview that Nokia's head of design Marko Ahtisaari gave to Finnish news source Kauppalehti, saying Nokia is working on a new device above and beyond the upcoming Lumia 900 which will "make other handsets seem dated."

Oh, Ahtisaari also said Apple's (Nasdaq: AAPL) iPhone user interface is "poorly designed" and "convoluted." Alluding to the constraints of iOS, Ahtisaari said "the road from the kitchen to the dining room is always through the front door," while competing operating systems like Symbian and Google's (Nasdaq: GOOG) Android are like "dollhouses," allowing the user to "rearrange the furniture."

Though specifics weren't given, Ahtisaari said Nokia's upcoming device will use "breakthrough technology" and users "won't have to touch the screen to operate it." Whether this refers to a Siri-like voice control or Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) Kinect-like motion control is unclear.

Maybe Ahtisaari was referring to simply controlling the device with thoughts, which would certainly be revolutionary.

Nokia investors are gobbling it up today, shares 1.7 percent stronger on the session.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Insiders+Blog/Nokia+%28NOK%29+Has+a+Killer+for+Apples+%28AAPL%29+Poorly+Designed+iPhone/7282996.html

I stand corrected. Thanks for that! Here's what The Verge wrote on the subject two days ago:

Well, maybe not...

I was catching some reporting the other day out of Mobile World Congress, and as regards Windows Phone Tango, they were saying that indeed there are two different versions of what MS is calling Tango:

1. a feature set upgrade for higher end smart phones like those sold in the U.S.

and

2. the lower capability OS for lower priced emerging market Windows phones coming to market.

There has been a lot of confusion on this point, but the latest I'm hearing is that they are indeed two different things.

BTW, the Tango update for U.S. type Windows smart phones won't "dumb down" those phones' capabilities.

But the Tango OS for emerging market Windows phones will allow lower hardware specifications and remove some OS capabilities compared to the full-featured Tango version.

Went to the Nokia Service Center last weekend. Explained the problem and luckily, the problem still existed.

I was asked THB 200 deposit on the investigation cost of THB 500, because the phone was out of warranty. I asked why should I pay THB 200 deposit on a phone of THB 16,900 that is in your possession? Policy of course!!

Anyway......they phoned me (as promised) with an estimate on the repair-cost: THB 4,800 for a new display and some cover part. I told them NOT to repair it.

They were puzzled: "Misterrrr, telephone is not old........can repair no problem"

My answer: "If the phone is not that old, then some leniency would be in place." Big silence followed.

BTW, I'm very happy with my Samsung of THB 2,500.

thanks for sharing that....

These Nokia phones are going to bomb in the USA. Nobody wants Windows Mobile or whatever it's called. iPhones and Android. That's what nearly everybody is using. And now iPhone is available on nearly all of the major carriers.

Besides, we haven't really used Nokia phones in the US for several years. Mostly Motorola/Samsung/LG/HTC/Apple/Blackberry. They're just not relevant anymore.

AT&T promises biggest launch ever for Lumia 900

The carrier's device guru, Jeff Bradley, promises this will be a "notch above anything we've ever done." That includes the iPhone launch.

by Roger Cheng March 28, 2012 8:50 AM PDT

AT&T and Nokia are bringing out the big guns when they launch the Lumia 900 next month.

"At all levels, this is a notch above anything we've ever done," AT&T device head Jeff Bradley said in an interview with CNET, noting that includes the launch of the iPhone. The resources behind this campaign and the attention given underscore the importance of ensuring the Lumia 900 succeeds in the U.S. The device represents the best -- and some would argue last -- chance for for Nokia and the Windows Phone platform to have a breakout hit, something both have struggled to do in the past. For consumers, the blitzkrieg will begin right around when the phone launches on April 8. AT&T and Nokia are readying a massive television marketing campaign to raise consumer awareness. The Lumia 900 will be the centerpiece at AT&T stores, with massive signs and posters promoting the device. Nokia and AT&T spent considerable time training store reps, and a majority of them will be carrying one with them at all times. The phone will launch with a number of accessories, which Bradley said sends an indirect message to consumers that the device is unique and important enough to get significant support.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57405796-94/at-t-promises-biggest-launch-ever-for-lumia-900/

The carrier's device guru, Jeff Bradley, promises this will be a "notch above anything we've ever done." That includes the iPhone launch.

Nobody wants it though.

Since you specifically posted a link about AT&T in the United States, then I'll post a counter.

http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events/Press_Releases/2012/3/comScore_Reports_January_2012_U.S._Mobile_Subscriber_Market_Share

The number of U.S. smartphone subscribers surpassed the 100-million mark in January, up 13 percent since October to 101.3 million subscribers. Google Android ranked as the top smartphone platform with 48.6 percent market share (up 2.3 percentage points) followed by Apple with 29.5 percent market share (up 1.4 percentage points). RIM ranked third with 15.2 percent share, followed by Microsoft (4.4 percent) and Symbian (1.5 percent).

I'm sure AT&T will sell tens of thousands of Nokias and get Microsoft's marketshare up to 8-10%. But there's no way they are going to beat RIM (who even uses a Blackberry in the US?).

Nokia is dieing [sic] slowly. Moving their manufacturing to China just prolongs the death. Nobody wants the new Microsoft phone OS.

Nobody wants it though.

Since you specifically posted a link about AT&T in the United States, then I'll post a counter.

http://www.comscore....er_Market_Share

The number of U.S. smartphone subscribers surpassed the 100-million mark in January, up 13 percent since October to 101.3 million subscribers. Google Android ranked as the top smartphone platform with 48.6 percent market share (up 2.3 percentage points) followed by Apple with 29.5 percent market share (up 1.4 percentage points). RIM ranked third with 15.2 percent share, followed by Microsoft (4.4 percent) and Symbian (1.5 percent).

I'm sure AT&T will sell tens of thousands of Nokias and get Microsoft's marketshare up to 8-10%. But there's no way they are going to beat RIM (who even uses a Blackberry in the US?).

Nokia is dieing [sic] slowly. Moving their manufacturing to China just prolongs the death. Nobody wants the new Microsoft phone OS.

If you read through my posts in this thread you will see that I am more than familiar with Nokia's situation in the U.S.A. :rolleyes:

I posted the story as this references an aspect to the Nokia story much touched upon in this thread.

Perhaps they key quote is:

The device represents the best -- and some would argue last -- chance for for Nokia and the Windows Phone platform to have a breakout hit, something both have struggled to do in the past.

Sorry, I did not take the time to read 12 pages of replies.

It will be interesting. I think we will have to wait until Windows 8 is released to actually see what will happen though. Meanwhile I will be patiently waiting for my LTE 4G! (Sprint user)

(This is not an April Fools joke.)

Amazon Lists Nokia Lumia 900 Preorder for $0.01

By David Murphy

March 31, 2012 06:36pm EST13 Comments

It's but a wee bit of time until the Nokia Lumia 900 officially launches on AT&T and savvy shoppers can pick themselves up a brand-new Windows Phone for the simple price of one penny.

No, that's not a typo. AT&T might have the Lumia 900 listed for a cool $99.99 as of this article's writing, but a quick trip over to Amazon reveals that you can purchase the same device for a tiny piece of copper (technically, copper-plated Zinc, but who's counting?)

Is that strange? The amount certainly isn't: Amazon (and others) routinely discount smartphones to entice new users to sign up for full-fledged service contracts. The same holds true for the Lumia 900: It might cost a penny, but that's only if one commits to a full two-year service plan with AT&T. That's a bare minimum of $39.99 monthly for AT&T's basic 450-minute plan and an additional $20 for AT&T's cheapest, 300-megabyte data plan

From the various media reports I've been reading on this subject... a couple of things will be occurring with the Lumia launch

1. MS and/or Nokia will be providing financial incentives to the various sales people to push the Nokia phones, something Nokia hasn't much done in the U.S. in the past.

2. ATT has made the Nokia Lumia 900 one of their corporate list phones, meaning that eligible staff can obtain and use the phone for free.

From the various media reports I've been reading on this subject... a couple of things will be occurring with the Lumia launch

1. MS and/or Nokia will be providing financial incentives to the various sales people to push the Nokia phones, something Nokia hasn't much done in the U.S. in the past.

2. ATT has made the Nokia Lumia 900 one of their corporate list phones, meaning that eligible staff can obtain and use the phone for free.

Spiffs (essentially sales commissions, paid by the manufacturer) are quite common in consumer electronics but the level Nokia is paying reps., rumored to be $15 - $20 /unit is a bit on the high side.

Microsoft and/or Nokia have supposedly paid AT&T $25 million to 'fund' the internal use of the Lumia.

Both efforts, while costly, are necessary and Microsoft and Nokia should be applauded for not holding back, might as well fire all you've got as this is the last stand so no need to save any ammunition for a future fight.