Airport Shopping Plaza

Flatouthruthefog

I haven't been there for many weeks, but found myself with an hour or so to kill yesterday, having mistakenly parked there looking for DHL (see other recent thread).

Firstly, parking was a real headache in the multi-storey, with double parking everywhere . Ram jam full, mid afternoon too. 'People stocking up for the long weekend' I thought.

But inside, where were they all? They must have all been in the Robinson fancy goods section, 'cos the rest of the place looked quieter than I've ever seen it. Apart from Swensens, where there were NO spare seats, and most of the Japanese sushi places which were buzzing. How odd.

A small crowd of Thais gathered round a dancing girl display promoting a bank (??), with music so loud I really did have to plug my ears as I walked quickly past. I'll never dare set foot in one of THOSE banks, I can tell you.

Nearby, I observed that the huge circular aquarium has seen better days. The water was slightly opaque with a very unhealthy looking yellow-ish tinge, and almost all the beautiful live 'anenome things' are dead or gone, or both. It's fair to add that the fish were lively and looked very healthy (I used to be a fish keeper), but their numbers seemed down by, say, 15% since I saw them last.

At the other end of the ground floor I was unsurprised to see how quiet Tops supermarket was. Apart from the illogical layout (hunt the booze in about 4 different, widespread locations), just look at their wines and spirits prices and try to stop laughing!

In the final 'fresh' section, has anyone else noticed how very easy it would be to innocently walk out without passing a cashier? Knowing my luck, I'd get pounced on by heavies. A lousy, illogical layout.

Last and maybe least, I was sad to see that Western Club up on the top floor has closed its swing doors for the last time. No advice on the temporary panelling about where they've gone. Instead, some legal-looking notices from the landlords as if they've been kicked out or done a runner. Might be some nice fittings left in there for a would-be bar owner?!

They should have extended their discount cards to cover drinks, and should never have lost the long legged ladies in leather shorts. The last generation of worn-jean clad, apathetic, scowling, slow movers must have been a vital nail in their coffin.

Ah well. Back to Rimping!

My, my, the OP hasn't been to Kad Suan Kaew lately, has he? Oh, wait a minute, Hubby says the girls at Otime on the 4th floor, behind the movie theater box office are more attentive than the ones that the closed cowboy saloon at Airport Plaza. So, maybe KSK is really better (at least for the OP)

I was with the wife and kid today, at airport central plaza, and we had a very enjoyable couple of hours there... i enjoy the crowds, festivities at times like this and enjoyed a few of the sales too.

But then, i love MBK in BKK, Siam Paragon and Siam Plaza in general... OTOH, the wife (thai) does not care for crowds but even she had a good time today... i am sure it had something to do with the lovely new purse she acquired for her Mother's day present.

Hubby says the girls at Otime on the 4th floor, behind the movie theater box office are more attentive than the ones that the closed cowboy saloon at Airport Plaza.

I've heard this before about Otime, but I must have been visiting at the wrong days/times because every time I've been there it's been dead.

Hubby says the girls at Otime on the 4th floor, behind the movie theater box office are more attentive than the ones that the closed cowboy saloon at Airport Plaza.

I've heard this before about Otime, but I must have been visiting at the wrong days/times because every time I've been there it's been dead.

Oh yes, there aren't many clients and you probably will not get attentive service if you look like a tourist or sexpat. But, once you put on a shirt with buttons, a neatly pressed pair of pants and a pair of shoes and socks, the girls will fall all over you, telling how they're working their way thru college and really could use a "sponsor". i.e. they're auditioning become your mia noi!

But, once you put on a shirt with buttons, a neatly pressed pair of pants and a pair of shoes and socks,

That pretty much eliminates me. :o

Oh yes, there aren't many clients and you probably will not get attentive service if you look like a tourist or sexpat. But, once you put on a shirt with buttons, a neatly pressed pair of pants and a pair of shoes and socks, the girls will fall all over you, telling how they're working their way thru college and really could use a "sponsor". i.e. they're auditioning become your mia noi!

I'm more interested in "sponsoring" them for an hour or two. :D

FWIW Western Club was closed because there was a rent increase of about 100 - 200%. Just what I heard. It's re-opened somewhere else but don't remember where. Too bad - even though I was there maybe only 2 times I kind of liked the idea of having this sort of place inside Central Airport.

Also FWIW 2 new malls are being built & that will take some pressure off Airport...

As for KSK, I've never seen it in good shape to be honest. When I got here 8 years ago I was wondering why that building was still standing. I am still wondering that. The unused - and possibly haunted - rear area of KSK would make for a great movie or photo shoot set though.

Edited by nikster

But, once you put on a shirt with buttons, a neatly pressed pair of pants and a pair of shoes and socks, the girls will fall all over you, telling how they're working their way thru college and really could use a "sponsor". i.e. they're auditioning become your mia noi!

Auditions will be held every day.....Thailand's Got Talent!

Chiang Mai has a population of 1,600,850 people and more than 5 million tourists a year, we only have two shopping plazas Airport Plaza and kad Suan Kaew thus when there is a holiday everything is busy. I suspect the people you did not see may have been in the theatres or some other section you did not investigate as you were only there for an hour. My family and I try not to go out just before or during holidays just because of traffic and large groups of people trying to cram into the same space.

I do think there is room for another similar shopping complex in CM though as it does get crowded at the weekends.

There's a new snazzy one going up on the Mahidol/Inner intersection which could be good. Was at Airport Plaza couple weeks ago and still looked alright... less fish in tank indeed. :unsure: Suggest op to not visit on holidays.

I really enjoy going to the Airport Plaza, and seldom find it dead. There is so much to see there, with such a divergent array of merchants, and I always see lots of happy shoppers. Lots of good food. It always seems to have an upbeat feeling at this mall. But then I still have to spend time back in the US for part of the year, and all over the US shopping malls are dreadful. Talk about dead. Wow. Half the shops in many US shopping malls seem to be closed. Very few happy shoppers, most seem depressed. Lousy and expensive food. Shops with little to sell. On the other hand, Thailand shopping malls, including Airport Plaza, are such an uplift after the negativity of American shopping malls. For a real experience, try going during busy times into a Walmart or Target store in the US. You will want to get back to Thailand quickly.

I think maybe the original poster needs to look at more positive aspects of life here instead of concentrating on the small stuff. He worries about the placement of vegetables and fruit at the Tops market. Geez.

FWIW Western Club was closed because there was a rent increase of about 100 - 200%. Just what I heard. It's re-opened somewhere else but don't remember where. Too bad - even though I was there maybe only 2 times I kind of liked the idea of having this sort of place inside Central Airport.

Also FWIW 2 new malls are being built & that will take some pressure off Airport...

As for KSK, I've never seen it in good shape to be honest. When I got here 8 years ago I was wondering why that building was still standing. I am still wondering that. The unused - and possibly haunted - rear area of KSK would make for a great movie or photo shoot set though.

Pretty sure the Western Club is reopening at Ruam Chok.

I kind of like the Airport mall.

Parking can be crazy at times in the roofed area

Out back not so bad. But car gets really hot in the hot season :)

Easy to walk about as you said

Lots of ice coffee/little snack spots

Theaters are nice

I like the restaurant Fuji especially at lunch

I also really like the basement eating place/food court at times with all the different stalls.

If I remember right the one I frequent most is called boiled rice kitchen....not positive if that is the name?

But there sure is a lot of selection down there.

well whilst in the uk, i visited what was the largest shopping mall in europe, the metro centre, tyneside, my neck of the woods, and i have to say i couldnt wait to get out, the condition is scruffy to say the least, toilets are a disgrace, theirs a massive culture change in the uk, and its not for the better, shamed to be british at times.

The best part about the mall is the candy....the eye candy :ph34r:

Going up the escalator behind a pair of beautiful, long and I'm sure, soft as silk legs, is a piece of heaven. And no, I'm not looking up their skirts.

That's what you DON'T see much of anymore in the West thanks to fast food.

I like Airport Plaza. In fact i like it better than anything i've found in Pattaya, Hua Hin or Phuket.

I do think there is room for another similar shopping complex in CM though as it does get crowded at the weekends.

I don't like the parking at Airport plaza. Often times areas closed off for no reason, and all motorbikes must part in over crowded area and when sonthing happens the management say they are not responsible ???? then don't make me park there !

However, once inside I do like most of what is going on and there is something there for everyone in my family.

At the same time, I would like to note there are 3 new shopping areas going in. If you follow the news, a high end place with movie screens hear Highway 11 and middle ring road as well as one up north of town and another.

Should be interesting in a year or so !

AirportShopping Plaza…..As far as Malls go, its OK. As far as parking gos just stoptrying to get a spot by the front door and there plenty of room.

I think youjust had a bad day! :)

Edited by metisdead