Many New Thai Cabinet Appointments Met With Public Criticism

webfact

Many New Cabinet Appointments Met with Public Criticism

The new Cabinet line-up has met with strong public reaction.

Some of the Cabinet appointments have been criticized by the people as being unfit. That is what Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said during an interview on July 24.

However, after the new Cabinet lineup was unveiled, she simply asked the public to give the newly appointed ministers a chance to prove themselves.

The most criticisim go to Surapong Towijakchaikul, a Pheu Thai Party list MP who have no experience on foreign policies.

He was probrably chosen as the new foreign minister because he has close relationship to the former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

In addition, he has declared himself a red shirt supporter and is among those who have petitioned to the crown for Thaksin's amnesty.

Surapong once said that should Thaksin decided to return to politics, he would be willing to give up his constituency in Chiang Mai Province, which is both Thaksin's home province and a red shirt stronghold, to the former premier.

On many occasions, Surapong clearly identified himself as a red shirt supporter.

Probably the most memorable incident, which best describes his character, was when he exchanged profane words with Democrat MPs in front of Parliament shortly before the red shirt unrest last year.

The incident was on the front-pages of many newspapers at the time.

Even though the appointments of Kittirat Na Ranong, a former Stock Exchange of Thailand president, as a deputy prime minister and commerce minister and Thirachai Phuvanatnaranubala, a former Security and Exchange Commission chairman, as the finance minister, have not been met with strong public criticism, the two have been accused of being subservient to Thaksin and his family and helping them from irregular shareholding and tax evasion charges.

Thirachai himself recently testified on behalf of Yingluck when she was being indicted on perjury charges and accused of hiding assets during the campaign.

The public has also raised questions about the qualifications of some recently appointed deputy ministers such as Deputy Commerce Minister Siriwat Kachornprasart, who rose to the position with help from his father, Chart Thai Pattana Party Chief Adviser Sanan Kachornprasart or Deputy Finance Minister Boonsong Teriyapirom, a veteran Chiang Mai MP who is influenced by Thaksin's younger sister.

Other appointments that have raised some eyebrows are Transport Minister Sukhampol Suwannathat, who is Thaksin's classmate from the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School and Deputy Transport Minister Chat Kuldilok, a former police officer with close ties to the former prime minister.

Despite only having experience as security officials, they have been put in charge of the country's infrastructure development.

Santi Prompat, long known to be a major financier of the Pheu Thai Party with a dubious academic record has been chosen to head the Social Development and Human Security Ministry.

Even though he has never been implicated in any corruption, Education Minister Worawat Ua-apiyakul once caused a stir by recommending that various superstitious amulets and talismans should be promoted as souvenirs for tourists when he was in charge of the Culture Minister.

This has caused many people to be concerned about the quality of their children's education and the nation's future.

These are only some of the politicians in Yingluck Administration's Cabinet lineup.

It is not known whether the Thailand's first female premier and those who are forming the government have heard the public's concerns regarding the appointments.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-08-12

footer_n.gif

pigs.bmp-for-web.jpg

However, after the new Cabinet lineup was unveiled, she simply asked the public to give the newly appointed ministers a chance to prove themselves.
Edited by metisdead
Bold font is unnecessary.

The more that I read of Surapong, the more he reminds me of Renfield, Count Dracula's servant.

" I'm loyal to you Master, I 'm your slave, I didn't betray you!"

or from a later version

"I think they're from the government................They're wearing shoes."

and even later

" The master will come, and he has promised to make me immortal!"

No surprise the sooner people wake up and realise that these people are running the country for the benefit of the Thaksin family, the better for the country it will be!

I think they knew it all along but were hoping to scoop up a few errant crumbs off of the redshirt table.

Whats their alternative? Hogs that live high on the hog always have a cling film tablecloth under the trough, so as any minute crumbs left over can be licked off or vacuumed up by hiso mates

In any case, not much they can do about it now...Looong time until another election!

No surprise the sooner people wake up and realise that these people are running the country for the benefit of the Thaksin family, the better for the country it will be!

It is quite obvious the Shinawatra family has once again taken over the Thai Government. If you make enough promises to secure votes, what else can be expected?

So you both think that those voices of critisism come from their own voters?

I'm not a supporter of the Thaksin clan or PT,in fact I don't support any political party in this country since I have no rights here,but PT has won the election because they had the most votes so let them form their cabinet the way they decide,and if they make the wrong choices future will tell.

.......PT has won the election because they had the most votes so let them form their cabinet the way they decide,and if they make the wrong choices future will tell.

I don't see it that way. PT won the election because they were more savvy in their vote buying and promises. Ms Yingluck was obviously very heavily influenced by her overbearing big brother - about whom to pick for minister posts. If she can't even admit the most obvious things (she denied being influenced in that dept), then how can she be believed about anything else? She says, "give us six months before criticizing us." Sure, the boat's hull is cracked and she's telling the crew to fix it with scotch tape, bubble gum and band-aids, while calling out, "don't judge what I do or say for at least six months, ok, are we clear on that? Thanks. Now I can go hide in the captain's quarters, and make crappy decisions handed down by my big brother, without having to face the consequences."

100% agree. Yingluck lies when se say "big brother" is not involved. welcome to Thaksinland.

No surprise here at all. It's been predicted again and again that the new cabinet members would land their posts not because they are particularly suited, but because they are connected with the man in Dubai or his family in one way or another.

If you think that former foreign minister Kasit Piromya was an embarrassment for Thailand in the international arena (which he definitely was), just wait and see what Surapong Towitjakchaikul is going to accomplish in that department once he really takes off and "proves himself".

He's reportedly already taken the first misstep just one single day after being appointed FM by allegedly lobbying the Japanese government to grant his REAL boss a visa so he can deliver a lecture there and visit one of the earthquake-stricken areas up north.

Just look at it from a diplomatic point of view: the foreign minister of a nation officially asks another government to grant entry to a convicted felon who was sentenced to 2 years in jail after having jumped bail and now living in self-exile to avoid serving his sentence.

And that's only the 'overture', the real opera with Surapong as lead tenor hasn't even started yet.

It is quite obvious the Shinawatra family has once again taken over the Thai Government. If you make enough promises to secure votes, what else can be expected?

So you both think that those voices of critisism come from their own voters?

I'm not a supporter of the Thaksin clan or PT,in fact I don't support any political party in this country since I have no rights here,but PT has won the election because they had the most votes so let them form their cabinet the way they decide,and if they make the wrong choices future will tell.

It is their Duty and Mandate to govern for the country and the people who voted them into power, not for the benefit of those thieving b******* the Shinawatra's. I was inclined to give Yingluck the benefit of the doubt initially but not now I'm afraid as she has done the dirty on the people and has made it clear what her intentions are in winning the election with her blatant appointment of Thaksin's close circle of friends and old school buddies!!!

Not only are they not qualified for their jobs but the foreign minister seems to care about one thing and it's related aspects only ie: amnesty, getting his Thai passport back and gaining him entry to countries that he was previously banned from such as Germany (mission achieved although that is more to do with the Germans currying favour with him) and Japan whereby he should be banned as he has a prison sentence of over a year hanging over him.

So much for her pledge (honest gov) I will get straight to work in serving my people (she obviously meant her older brother when she said "her people" - she should have made it plain that this meant her brother only)!!!

One last thing, Yingluck and her lieing cronies were visiting Thaksin for one reason only and that was to receive his orders on the appointees - and I thought that they went to see him because it was his birthday - how stupid of me!!!;)

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

I have to say that i read with incredulity something quoted by the new finance minister 'Thirachai Phuvanatnaranubala' where he stated that "the inflationary impact of the wage increase would not be severe as it was a one-off event"!!!!

What is this ignorant prat talking about??? If this is the best they can serve up then "god help Thailand":o.

How can the implementation of a wage increase be a one-off event? A windfall tax on the banks IS a one-off tax but a salary increase IS NOT - unless of course he awards it for the first month and withdraws it the next sending people's salaries back to what they were earning the month before.

What a dumbo he must be to get something as basic and fundamental as this wrong!!! How is he going to ensure that inflation doesn't spiral out of control when he clearly doesn't know what he's doing?? Allied to this - nearly all of Yingluck's government's policies are inflationary and with bozo's like him in charge of the finances then it should be fun and games from here on Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!

I bet he was nominated by big brother as he has in all probabiity been planted there to hide or cover up some of his illegal and dodgy past activities - if this is anything to go by, then he might inadvertently end up doing the opposite B).

Come on all you Pheu Thai sympathisers help your new finance minister out of this one if you can!!!! I somehow think that you will find it impossible!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

I have to say that i read with incredulity something quoted by the new finance minister 'Thirachai Phuvanatnaranubala' where he stated that "the inflationary impact of the wage increase would not be severe as it was a one-off event"!!!!

What is this ignorant prat talking about??? If this is the best they can serve up then "god help Thailand":o.

How can the implementation of a wage increase be a one-off event? A windfall tax on the banks IS a one-off tax but a salary increase IS NOT - unless of course he awards it for the first month and withdraws it the next sending people's salaries back to what they were earning the month before.

What a dumbo he must be to get something as basic and fundamental as this wrong!!! How is he going to ensure that inflation doesn't spiral out of control when he clearly doesn't know what he's doing?? Allied to this - nearly all of Yingluck's government's policies are inflationary and with bozo's like him in charge of the finances then it should be fun and games from here on Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!

I bet he was nominated by big brother as he has in all probabiity been planted there to hide or cover up some of his illegal and dodgy past activities - if this is anything to go by, then he might inadvertently end up doing the opposite B).

Come on all you Pheu Thai sympathisers help your new finance minister out of this one if you can!!!! I somehow think that you will find it impossible!!

If you look at it from the point of view that it is an increase in the minimum wage that is already in place then, using your argument, we should already be in an inflationary spiral. Minimum wages have been in existence in many countries for a number of years with no obvious correlation to spiralling inflation though the argument has often been used in opposition to them.

If you look at it from the point of view that it is an increase in the minimum wage that is already in place then, using your argument, we should already be in an inflationary spiral. Minimum wages have been in existence in many countries for a number of years with no obvious correlation to spiralling inflation though the argument has often been used in opposition to them.

The 300 baht minimum wage isn't in place so your argument doesn't hold water I'm afraid!!! When it is implemented it will impact on the inflation rate (will send it higher) and this drag will continue until something is put into place to bring ot down. Unfortunately, the interest rates are relatively high and cannot be allowed to rise too high otherwise it will stifle growth. The fact that all of their other policies will raise the inflation rate to higher than desirable levels then there is little wriggle room left to control it. Basically this spells doom for the government - especially with that twerp in control!!!

The 300 baht minimum wage isn't in place so your argument doesn't hold water I'm afraid!!! When it is implemented it will impact on the inflation rate (will send it higher) and this drag will continue until something is put into place to bring ot down. Unfortunately, the interest rates are relatively high and cannot be allowed to rise too high otherwise it will stifle growth. The fact that all of their other policies will raise the inflation rate to higher than desirable levels then there is little wriggle room left to control it. Basically this spells doom for the government - especially with that twerp in control!!!

Try to read the post that you are so vehemently opposing - a minimum wage is already in place wihout an inflationary spiral; introducing or increasing a minimum wage level has always been the harbinger of doom to some, but where is your evidence that it will result in an inflationary spiral?

Sounds like Daily Mail economics to me

Try to read the post that you are so vehemently opposing - a minimum wage is already in place wihout an inflationary spiral; introducing or increasing a minimum wage level has always been the harbinger of doom to some, but where is your evidence that it will result in an inflationary spiral?

In most places, minimum wages are increased at about the same level as inflation, or higher with productivity gains.

Inflation in currently around 4% (I think). A rise in minimum wages by 50-80% in a country with a large number of unskilled low wage workers WILL cause a sharp rise in inflation.

The minimum wage has been in place for years and has been increased gradually over the years softening impact. To increase by 50% in a single step or even spread over a year would have an economical impact, pressure on inflation, etc. With the global economical situation as it is starting with a small step like 10% now and a review every three months would be a better approach. Mind you four increases a year would be close to an administrative headache :ermm:

Edited by rubl

Oh dear.

Obviously, you're have quite the vacancy of understanding present Thai affairs as well as contemporary Thai history.

The country certainly isn't being operated for the benefit of the Thaksin clan.

Try again, and understand where the real influence and power derives from.

Presently, all this charade is just an extension of the game.

In most places, minimum wages are increased at about the same level as inflation, or higher with productivity gains.

Inflation in currently around 4% (I think). A rise in minimum wages by 50-80% in a country with a large number of unskilled low wage workers WILL cause a sharp rise in inflation.

Nobody is saying at the moment that there will not be a rise in inflation. What Thirachai said, for which SichonSteve called him an 'ignorant prat', was that it would be a one off hit on inflation ie, the inflation will only occur once rather than an ongoing spiral. Basically as the minimum waged is increased there will be a hit on inflation but once it has been done there is no reason for it to continue. Pretty much the same can be said if sales tax is increased - the month it occurs in it will appear in the inflation figures but the following month it will not as the price rise was taken in the previous month. Arguing that the minimum wage increase will increase prices is pretty easy but to say that those prices will keep increasing is not as straightforward.

Nobody is saying at the moment that there will not be a rise in inflation. What Thirachai said, for which SichonSteve called him an 'ignorant prat', was that it would be a one off hit on inflation ie, the inflation will only occur once rather than an ongoing spiral. Basically as the minimum waged is increased there will be a hit on inflation but once it has been done there is no reason for it to continue. Pretty much the same can be said if sales tax is increased - the month it occurs in it will appear in the inflation figures but the following month it will not as the price rise was taken in the previous month. Arguing that the minimum wage increase will increase prices is pretty easy but to say that those prices will keep increasing is not as straightforward.

This increase will cause a rise in inflation, which will lead to a further need to lift minimum wages, which will lead to further inflation ... unless, of course, PTP aren't interested in the long term benefits to the low wage employees and are just doing this for short term gain - then there will only be a single hit to inflation.

This particularly large increase will also lead to rising unemployment, and more pressure on those supporting parents and family upcountry as they will get hit by the inflation spike several times over.

Oh dear.

Obviously, you're have quite the vacancy of understanding present Thai affairs as well as contemporary Thai history.

The country certainly isn't being operated for the benefit of the Thaksin clan.

Try again, and understand where the real influence and power derives from.

Presently, all this charade is just an extension of the game.

Oh dear. Not about k. Thaksin or his family. Oh dear, oh dear :whistling:

"Japan on Monday said it had issued a visa to former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, following a personal request made by Thailand's new government to grant him special entry to Japan, senior Japanese official said."