Avalon Villas Project

hodneland

Anyone knows anything about the houses they`re building in Camelot? I`ve tried to find a map where the location is described, but without luck. Is it far away from the beach/city? Is it on a hill slope with a view? Any information will be useful since I am in the closing stage of the agreement with my agent.

Anyone knows anything about the houses they`re building in Camelot? I`ve tried to find a map where the location is described, but without luck. Is it far away from the beach/city? Is it on a hill slope with a view? Any information will be useful since I am in the closing stage of the agreement with my agent.

Hi, its at the foot of Wat Kao Noi. You can walk to the wat in about 5 mins, maybe 500 metres.

The slope is very gentle and the "sea view" is actually a ribbon of the ocean in the distance. You can see downtown buildings though. IMO the best views are of the mountains to the rear and north side.

By tuktuk its 10 mins. to the Hilton. Soi 56 is being improved but its quicker to take the white road you see running diagonally to town. It also brings you into town right near Wat Hua Hin which is more central. You could actually walk it but you'd want to ride back because of the heat and it is a bit uphill.

I visited about 10 or 11 developments and I thought it had the best location. Other developments were too far from town and often in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere.

Camelot is directly beside Avalon 1, its a piece of land the developer acquired after the Avalon site.

Build quality of the houses was equal to some houses I saw for 5-6 million baht.

I have pics from 3 weeks ago. PM me and I'll link you to the on-line album.

cheers,

john

• 3 weeks later...

At the top of the map on their webpage, it says

CAMELOT LEASEHOLD

There are some projects in Pattaya that are leasehold as well.

AND THEN, THE BELOW

Leasing in Thailand Q&A

1. Can a foreigner obtain 100% interest for a land lease in Thailand?

Yes. A foreigner can obtain 100% interest for a land lease in Thailand. Unlike direct land ownership, the law allows foreigners to obtain long-term land leases.

2. Do I have to register the land lease at the Land Department?

Leases up to three years need not be registered but registration at the Land Department is mandatory for leases that are three years or more.

3. What is the maximum lease term available?

The maximum lease term available is 30 years, with an option to renew for an additional 30 years. Each lease renewal that is agreed upon with the landowner must be registered at the local land office. For each new registration, taxes will be levied.

4. Why is land leasing favored by foreigners who wish to own property in Thailand?

There are numerous obstacles faced by foreigners who wish to buy land or purchase property in Thailand. To avoid these obstacles, many foreigners choose to acquire land on a 30-year leasehold with an option for extension. This is the simplest and most straightforward way for foreigners to acquire property in Thailand. In addition, a lease stays valid even in the event that the property or the land is sold.

5. What are the advantages of having a land lease over purchasing land with a company?

A foreigner’s lease rights are formally recognized by the Thai law. The land lease is executed and registered only once, after which very little legal maintenance is required. In comparison, a limited company has several shareholders who may have interests that are different from yours, and this could translate into potential risks for you and your objectives. Also, a company requires regulatory compliances such as yearly balance sheets to be filed with the Tax Department.

Lease and Freehold laws in Thailand

Ownership of land in Thailand is governed by the land code BE 2497 (1954), the Civil and Commercial Code, Land Reform for Agriculture Act BE 2518 (1975) and the regulations set forth by the ministry of the Interior.

Although the Thai law stipulates that a foreigner may not own land in Thailand in his name, he has the right of ownership of buildings only. If a foreigner wishes to purchase land in Thailand to build a property, he has 2 options.

1. The land is purchased on a 30-year leasehold with an option to extend the lease for further 30 year periods. Possession of the land is assured by virtue of the fact that property occupies the land. The lesser cannot seize the property upon expiration of the lease, as the property is separate from the land.

In order to be enforceable, any lease for a period longer than three years must be registered at the land department, which involves payment of a registration fee and stamp duty based on a percentage of the rental fee for the whole lease term. The original registered lease remains in the force and effect even if the property is sold. Both parties can contractually agree to renewals, but this right cannot be registered at the Land Department.

2. If a foreigner is going to operate a business in Thailand than he may purchase the freehold of the land through his Thai Limited company. The land will be owned by the Thai Company, not by the individual.

Limited Liability Company – this form of purchasing property is the most popular with foreign investors as articles of association can be varied to allow greater protection for foreign minority shareholders where majority Thai ownership is required under the Alien Business Law.

Thai law requires that 51% of the shares be held by Thai juristic persons, however, any company with more than 40% foreign interest that purchases land will be investigated by the Central Land Office in Bangkok (under section 74 of the Land Code) to ensure that the company has not been organised in attempt to circumvent the prohibition against foreign ownership of land.

This results in ownership of the company being limited at 39% (only if buying land), but with the recommended changes of the Articles of Association, the foreigner can be the only director of the company, and the only person of the company who can commit or bind the company in any contractual dealings (buy sell land and house), effectively giving the minority shareholders control over the company.

1. The land is purchased on a 30-year leasehold with an option to extend the lease for further 30 year periods. Possession of the land is assured by virtue of the fact that property occupies the land. The lesser cannot seize the property upon expiration of the lease, as the property is separate from the land.

To me this is a HUGE gray area. I read it as stalemate and lawyer food.

My concern is this: You sign for 30 years lease and a 30-year extension.

What happens when/if the land becomes much more valuable?

One thing for sure is that someone has a strong motive to kick you off the land.

Your house could burn down mysteriously when you are away. :o

I've done a lot of searching on the net but these gray areas are not any clearer.

• 4 months later...

I am interested to find out if anyone has completed yet with Avalon ? we have just put down our deposit for a freehold villa - we were in Hua Hin for a couple of weeks and saw a lot of developments - I was impressed with this location - close to the Elephant Village - I took a lot of photos as well of current builds and the plot location etc if anyone is interested. We saw houses that were near completion and also in the process of being built. We did check with the developer if we would get a building certificate like you get in other countries, but they do not do that in Thailand and only offer a one year guarantee - unlike in the UK where you get 10 years. However we loved the location etc so much - it takes less than 10 minutes into town and to the beach and there is a great shopping centre with a large Tesco Supermarket also about 15-20 minutes away, which is perfect for us farrangs ! We plan to operate a luxury guest house from here (and tailored tour service of Hua Hin and surrounds as we were ripped off with a local overcharging us terribly and would like our guests to have the peace of mind that we will look after them and will source best places with best prices etc ... tailored to their needs ) We also have been asked to be shadowed with our move by BBC here so we are planning to do this now on the QT which will be helpful for future buyers as well ! Our agents were lovely and not pushy at all - they gave us a few days to think about it and we looked at other places as well, but went back to them - they arranged for their lawyer to set up our Limited Company with which we have full power of attorney - however it takes 20 days for this to be set up so we are awaiting the paperwork and will keep all informed on here as to how smooth a process this has all been - we plan to do a website etc as well on Hua Hin and all do's and don'ts which I hope will help future farrangs with a smooth move ! There are a lot of families in the area which is great as we have 2 children as well. I do highly recommend our agents, Hua Hin Properties - Sue and Gon - however as mentioned I shall keep tabs and post all feedback (good or bad) on the sites for Hua Hin and Thailand. We have chosen a CHANOTE land title and are also requesting the certificate of land ownership (for the Thai Company) before building commences. Lets watch this space. this is the view from Avalon.

post-28935-1145359393_thumb.jpgpost-28935-1145359628_thumb.jpg

I am interested to find out if anyone has completed yet with Avalon ? we have just put down our deposit for a freehold villa - we were in Hua Hin for a couple of weeks and saw a lot of developments - I was impressed with this location - close to the Elephant Village - I took a lot of photos as well of current builds and the plot location etc if anyone is interested. We saw houses that were near completion and also in the process of being built. We did check with the developer if we would get a building certificate like you get in other countries, but they do not do that in Thailand and only offer a one year guarantee - unlike in the UK where you get 10 years. However we loved the location etc so much - it takes less than 10 minutes into town and to the beach and there is a great shopping centre with a large Tesco Supermarket also about 15-20 minutes away, which is perfect for us farrangs ! We plan to operate a luxury guest house from here (and tailored tour service of Hua Hin and surrounds as we were ripped off with a local overcharging us terribly and would like our guests to have the peace of mind that we will look after them and will source best places with best prices etc ... tailored to their needs ) We also have been asked to be shadowed with our move by BBC here so we are planning to do this now on the QT which will be helpful for future buyers as well ! Our agents were lovely and not pushy at all - they gave us a few days to think about it and we looked at other places as well, but went back to them - they arranged for their lawyer to set up our Limited Company with which we have full power of attorney - however it takes 20 days for this to be set up so we are awaiting the paperwork and will keep all informed on here as to how smooth a process this has all been - we plan to do a website etc as well on Hua Hin and all do's and don'ts which I hope will help future farrangs with a smooth move ! There are a lot of families in the area which is great as we have 2 children as well. I do highly recommend our agents, Hua Hin Properties - Sue and Gon - however as mentioned I shall keep tabs and post all feedback (good or bad) on the sites for Hua Hin and Thailand. We have chosen a CHANOTE land title and are also requesting the certificate of land ownership (for the Thai Company) before building commences. Lets watch this space. this is the view from Avalon.

I visited this development in February this year. Development is ok, quality of houses good. yep a llittle far from town but even so it is easily reached. I decided to buy nearer town but was impressed with the development

We also have been asked to be shadowed with our move by BBC here so we are planning to do this now on the QT which will be helpful for future buyers as well !

How did the BBC find out you were making a move so they could offer to shadow you?

How can you do it on the QT when you will be followed by a camera crew?

When will you start your move? What's the name of the show on BBC it will air. Any idea about the time frame?

• 3 weeks later...

We are a British couple, resident in Hua Hin, awaiting completion of our villa on this project. If anyone wants us to check on theirs we are willing to do so. We check on ours practically daily to ensure all is well & that it is staying on schedule. :o

We also have been asked to be shadowed with our move by BBC here so we are planning to do this now on the QT which will be helpful for future buyers as well !

How did the BBC find out you were making a move so they could offer to shadow you?

How can you do it on the QT when you will be followed by a camera crew?

When will you start your move? What's the name of the show on BBC it will air. Any idea about the time frame?

We applied for this - they were filming in Phuket last year. You have to apply for it and fill in papwerwork etc .. we are still awaiting more confirmation. When I say QT I mean not public - it is all done in the privacy of your home or surroundings and is pre arranged. The developers or agents would not be involved much, only the actual family. I think the only issue is if you as a family want to have your move televised .. if anyone has done this before in Thailand I would like to hear from you before I commence further with this.

We are a British couple, resident in Hua Hin, awaiting completion of our villa on this project. If anyone wants us to check on theirs we are willing to do so. We check on ours practically daily to ensure all is well & that it is staying on schedule. :o

That sounds wonderful. If you are ever in the Elephant Village area - Avalon, I would appreciate someone checking up on our villa that is due to have construction started this week or next. We are due to complete on the 1st of January 2007. My husband and I are excited, but also a bit nervous of the move - to the unknown. We were out there in April, but a holiday and living there must be so different. I am happy with the decision though.

That sounds wonderful. If you are ever in the Elephant Village area - Avalon, I would appreciate someone checking up on our villa that is due to have construction started this week or next. We are due to complete on the 1st of January 2007. My husband and I are excited, but also a bit nervous of the move - to the unknown. We were out there in April, but a holiday and living there must be so different. I am happy with the decision though.

Let me know your plot number & I will check for you. What type of villa are you having?My email is : [email protected]

Living here is entirely different to holiday, but we tend to look at it as an extended holiday. Once we get into our villa we will have loads to occupy us,& also that is when we intend to start doing excursions further afield, until then we are enjoying the lazy life. One thing I have learned...a pool is a must. We do not regret the move for a minute. We are slowly building a network of people that are able to help us in all things, neither of us speak the language & sign language can leave a lot to be desired, even though at times it raises a few chuckles!!! all in all life is great..as usual it is what you make it.

• 3 years later...

To resurrect this thread, I'm wondering how things worked out with people who bought at Avalon -- and if they think their investment has held up. I am seeing listings for second hand properties now at 4.5m, that cost 5.5m from the developer.

To resurrect this thread, I'm wondering how things worked out with people who bought at Avalon -- and if they think their investment has held up. I am seeing listings for second hand properties now at 4.5m, that cost 5.5m from the developer.

Location, location, location.

Its not exactly Naebkehardt :) . or beachfront

To resurrect this thread, I'm wondering how things worked out with people who bought at Avalon

I bought on Avalon. There were problems with the developer but he has all but disappeared. Most owners are glad to see the back of him and have long since fixed their snag lists. Nearly every villa was sold and I think this speaks volumes with regard to the affordable packages that were on offer. Yes, the properties did not come with the most expensive fixtures / fittings but many are now being transformed with more luxurious bathrooms / kitchens etc and afford very spacious living areas.

The very fact that there were initial problems has unified the owners. A Residents Committee (RC) has been formed and they are doing an excellent job. 90% of the previous staff who were on the developer's pay roll have been kicked off site and there is now a real sense of community with everyone pulling together. It's a very pleasant, friendly and thriving community with owners paying a small service charge to the RC for the upkeep of street and lighting maintenance, gardening, 24/7 security and pool cleaning.

I am not sure where you are getting your figures from but the price tag of 5.5m is a bit steep. I paid the developer just over 4m for a freehold "Andalusia" villa over 3 years ago and I received a host of add-ons. (bigger pool, outside shower, electric gates, integral garage together with a furniture package) But I do know the developer's prices creeped up as the complex neared completion. I also bought when you could get 70 baht to the £1 so any seller. like me, who bought when the exchange rate was more favourable may still be just about in pocket.

As for an investment ................ with all the world's finances in turmoil and the Thai tourism crash I doubt whether any private investor has seen a profit (with real estate) over the last 12 months.

Owners on Avalon have bought very affordable villas, many are used just as holiday homes and remain unoccupied for long periods. Each villa has its own pool and I am sure I speak for most owners (on Avalon) when I say that the Avalon site is now one of the best in Hua Hin.

I'm happy with mine.

I could certainly get my money back if I wanted to sell (I don't) which is ok by me, had I left my money in paper it would be worth 40%.

Like any development anywhere there have been teething problems and growing pains but things have been sorted one by one. As gardens flourish the estate is well on its way to being one of the prettiest in HH.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we were Hua Hin Dreams, but cannot recall the password as been ages on the forum. Yes, we have been extremely happy with the decision we made a few years back and believe we probably bought in the best location in Hua Hin as well as the best development ! It is so green and anyone that lives there should be so proud ! We have been very lucky also with renting out our villa and I think out of 12 months, we only had one month where we had no rentals which I think is excellent. We lived in our unit for 10 months, but then moved back to the western world for schooling and personal reasons i.e. career opportunities - my husband is an accountant. Well, now we are sadly faced with the decision to sell due to our mortgage responsibiities here and needing the liquid funds to go into the home we have here. Hence we are selling for 4.5m Baht and have a sign outside our property. We have had no problems with our 6 bed, 4 bath unit. Our pool is being well looked after as well as our gardens and I think the resident committee are doing a fabulous job ! We have a website www.huahindreams.com and rent out downstairs short and long term whilst keeping upstairs for our annual visits (although even when we do sell, we will hopefully still return to the complex as a guest ! - I would not want to stay anywhere else !) Our villa comes fully furnished, with website, bedding - everything as is now to succesfully pick up and continue running the villa. If anyone is interested, please do get in contact with us. We have kept all company accounts and fly over every year to upkeep accounts, pay local taxes on this and ensure the property is well kept. Hua Hin is beautiful and for us it was our dream.... with the current recession though and me only working part time now, we are forced into selling, unfort ! I am sure it is the way for many though world wide ! We had an offer on our house at 5.8M the week we left Thailand and declined this as we were adament not to sell, now nearly 2 years later, we are selling for 4.5M which is hard for us, but reality.

• 3 weeks later...