Thai Govt To Respond To HM The Queen's Concerns About Drugs

webfact

Govt to respond to Queen's concerns about drugs

By Samatcha Hoonsara,

Thammarat Kijchalong,

Pakamard Jaichalard

The Nation

The government is planning to tackle the drug problem in response to Her Majesty the Queen's concerns.

During her speech on Thursday to mark her 79th birthday, the Queen said that the problem of drugs was one of her most serious concerns. She said drug use had spread among school students, monks and community youngsters.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said she would tell the Cabinet to frame policies for dealing with the problem appropriately and carefully and also task relevant authorities to implement the policy. Drug suppression would be conducted gently, she said.

Asked whether she would end accusations against her elder brother and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra for extrajudicial killings in the course of his "war on drugs" policy, Yingluck said she would have to look at cases of the past carefully before making a decision.

Speaking about her plan to deal with the drug problem, Yingluck said she would have authorities in charge of the issue explain concrete measures later as they would have to discuss the issue with police.

The premier said authorities would have to implement the drug suppression policy carefully. She said people's safety must be ensured while drug addicts will be considered as patients to be taken care of.

Meanwhile, Education Minister Woravat Auapinyakul plans to have a meeting with other ministries to discuss the drug situation and solutions to prevent drugs from spreading to schools.

"I will hold a meeting with executives of agencies under the Education Ministry after I officially start my duty at the ministry on Tuesday," he said. "I will discuss with them how to campaign against drug use among students and rehabilitate students who are addicted to drugs," he added.

To tackle the drug problem at temples, Nopparat Benjawattananun, the Director of the National Buddhism Office, said he had told abbots and senior monks to keep an eye on the behaviour of monks, novices and youngsters taking care of the monks at the temples.

Also, he urged them to strictly screen behaviour of people who were going to be ordained.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-13

Would Sukomvik be a good place to start... around Soi 3 - Soi 5... and the dealers there are easy to spot as they are from another continent..! or another way to stop the spread of drugs is to put all policeman in prison... Job done..!

Perhaps the Education Minister could arrange for a black magic curse to be put on all drug users and sellers - that'll show them. If nothing else, it would be fairly cheap and ...........................well, cheap anyway.

How do tell which monk is on "speed" ? He finishes the chant 5 minutes before everybody else.

When you know that during the war on drugs, the democrats were on the dealers side, we are quite lucky to have now Ms Yingluck in charge.

If you define "on the dealer's side" as being opposed to extra-judicial murder, I suppose you are correct.

When you tally up the number of collateral damage deaths with those of mistaken identity, it's possible it would exceed the number of red-shirts killed. Without going into the criminality of the red shirts actions, doesn't the death of innocents bother you at all, or only those of your perverted political viewpoint?

I believe we are about to see a new anti drug campaign. :o

One cannot be more obvious with the support.

It's already started in our village. Ten police ambushed the local yabaa dealer in his car when he pulled up at one of his friends houses this week. Unloaded into his car and still managed to miss him! Clowns.

Alot of damage to the car though.

When you know that during the war on drugs, the democrats were on the dealers side, we are quite lucky to have now Ms Yingluck in charge.

We can only presume that the comment made is a result of a personal consumer report.

Or is it the normal ranting rhetoric of a right wing non thinking Thai ?

Edited by metisdead
Bold removed.

I'm starting to think that you're just having fun on a message board, or you have no idea about anything in BKK. Either way it's quite funny.

We can only presume that the comment made is a result of a personal consumer report.

:lol:

Take it the way you want.

The "democrats" have been defeated, the dealers are on the run

Good enough for me.

Edited by JurgenG

"The premier said authorities would have to implement the drug suppression policy carefully. She said people's safety must be ensured while drug addicts will be considered as patients to be taken care of."

Wow - now this is a very reponsible and clever response from the new PM - I was afraid she would step into the trap set now for the second time.

Looks like she is not only a beautiful woman but also got the brain needed to run this country!

"The premier said authorities would have to implement the drug suppression policy carefully. She said people's safety must be ensured while drug addicts will be considered as patients to be taken care of."

Wow - now this is a very reponsible and clever response from the new PM - I was afraid she would step into the trap set now for the second time.

Looks like she is not only a beautiful woman but also got the brain needed to run this country!

I agree that the statement is quite different to her brother's attitude. I am a little worried about " patients to be taken care of." Thailand does have a law permitting euthanasia, maybe she will add an "involuntary " clause. :huh:

Looks and intelligence are both relative to the observer.

"Drug suppression would be conducted gently"

:huh: how does on do that ? Please don't use drugs ?

And how is America's war on drugs working ? I think they lost so they went on to war on terror :lol:

And

Dont sell drugs to my kids. Pretty Please!

they get a tip off that a carrier is coming through bangkok. christ knows what diversion this is for. a shit load of drugs coming in somewhere else no doubt.

they have details of the person, passport, flight details. do they let him/her through and follow to the source. :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy::shock1: are you f@@king joking. cant arrest a hi-so and its only a guess, a guess mind you, a simple guess that any one can guess if guessing is their thing, is it going to a cop ! noooooooooooooooo, please say it isnt so. :bah: :bah:

christ, i am so tired of this shit.

If you define "on the dealer's side" as being opposed to extra-judicial murder, I suppose you are correct.

When you tally up the number of collateral damage deaths with those of mistaken identity, it's possible it would exceed the number of red-shirts killed. Without going into the criminality of the red shirts actions, doesn't the death of innocents bother you at all, or only those of your perverted political viewpoint?

Lets not forget about the collateral damage deaths caused by drug dealers. How many kids have died of drug overdose and the damgage to those families? The tally on those numbers are quite shocking as well.

Legalisation; education and rehabilitation would be best drugs policy.

But she does sound a lot more reasonable than her homicidal brother atleast.

Legalization for "soft" drugs yes, ( ganja, E, mushrooms) but meth is a killer and leads to violence and insanity. That shoud be the real focus and for the most part believe it is.

Legalization for "soft" drugs yes, ( ganja, E, mushrooms) but meth is a killer and leads to violence and insanity. That shoud be the real focus and for the most part believe it is.

i agree with that do the same as in Belgium and Holland, price drop and the risk is not worth the small money, as hard drugs just dead penalty is good because this are the real killers.

as about student en youngsters, i think parents have to take more responsibility it all start how you raise your kids.

No kidding i like to smoke a joint but i am in Thailand 5 year i never did, i guess i only addicted to Thai lady :)

The problem with legalizing only the soft drugs is that you're almost certainly only going to do that for adults only. Which means that kids end up resorting to the black market, a black market that no longer carries marijuana, E, or mushrooms (because they're legal for adults).

So you see happening in Thailand what happened with Holland: hard drug use goes down for adults, but goes up for kids. In Holland, underage hard drug use went up 400% in the ten years following de facto pot decriminalization. Not good.

Truth be told, the more vile the drug, the better the reason to legalize, simply because legalization means that society gets to exert more control over who gets to use these drugs.

Who would you rather see selling drugs? A licensed merchant who won't sell to kids? Or the criminal on the street corner who will? It really is just that simple.

daoyai you might want to do a quick Google on E its and amphetamine derivative i.e. same family and class as meth/ice/crank call it what you want. You also state meth is a killer what do you have to back this up? Whilst we are on it how about the damage alcohol and cigarets do? I am sure you will find out the latter 2 'legal' drugs kill and cause more destruction that illegal drugs.

Problem is how do you control a commodity that is largely brought into the Kingdom by the army and distributed by the police? Too many Thai pockets are lined by the selling of controlled substances for it to stop. All this new war on drugs will do is push the prices up as it did when big brother called it on which earns the real big fishes more money but causes petty crime by the users to increase to pay for the hiked prices. How is that a war on drugs is it simply pushes the non Thai dealers off the streets and increases other crimes?

Rehab and education is the only way to wean people off drugs problem again is the rehab 'hospital' in the Klong Prem campus, Bombat is nothing more than a normal prison offering zero counseling or reeducation. Hospital? Don't make me laugh.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

you complain about the new government , about how they will deal with drug but you don't say how in yr opinion it should be done or do we just forget it , there is always damage in war ( war against drugs ) but something has to be done apart from the people at the top making a vary good living from it regardless of the damage to the families and the addict................give people a chance or come up with a good idea !

you complain about the new government , about how they will deal with drug but you don't say how in yr opinion it should be done or do we just forget it , there is always damage in war ( war against drugs ) but something has to be done apart from the people at the top making a vary good living from it regardless of the damage to the families and the addict................give people a chance or come up with a good idea !

If your son was buying a joint from a dealer and they were both shot dead by a policeman, collateral damage in a war on drugs, you might think otherwise. If your family was deemed "unusually rich" and murdered by the police, when in fact they had won the lottery (actual case, talk about lucky!), then you wouldn't complain, because you would be dead.

I am as anti-drug as anyone, but the war on drugs has to have ROE. Anarchy is NOT the answer.