Terrible Traffic In Hua Hin

bankroll

Hello all.

Just popped into town earlier today and the traffic was TERRIBLE. Had to wait what seemed like ages (must have been at least 10 minutes) at the lights near the post office trying to cross up to the railway station. I haven't seen it this bad for quite some time.

Got stuck again in a few places, and what should have been just a 15 minute outing to a few places around town took nearly an hour :-( Worst thing is when a huge tour bus clogs up the streets and nobody can get passed. Everybody was driving badly as usual today too!

Must escape to Cha am tomorrow and hide in a small bar somewhere :-) LOL

I guess it was because the long weekend who combined Mom day with the weekend, having a lot of Bangkok's people coming here as each weekend...

The biggest problem for me it looks the non-sense traffic limitation that police sometime act.

For example, if you arrive in town from Chomsin they do not allowed to go strait or turn right, you can just go left to Cha Am direction... really crazy because everyone needs to make a u-turn ahead, making traffic more problematic...

Just stay on the traffic light and stop the traffic if the crossing is full, this will be enough to avoid more problems (because we know that everyone enter the crossing also if already full, remaining there to block others once red...).

Or u-turn arrangment on the main roads with plastic cones? Mah...

:jap:

It would be quite nice if the Police would make an effort to prevent shopkeepers and traders from putting chairs and tables in the street to prevent people from parking in front of their premises.

Even if there isn't a chair they often just deliberately take 2 spaces by parking their motorcycle to prevent a car getting in. Wishful thinking possibly but designated m/c parking spaces and designated car spaces would make a huge difference.

It would be quite nice if the Police would make an effort to prevent shopkeepers and traders from putting chairs and tables in the street to prevent people from parking in front of their premises.

Even if there isn't a chair they often just deliberately take 2 spaces by parking their motorcycle to prevent a car getting in. Wishful thinking possibly but designated m/c parking spaces and designated car spaces would make a huge difference.

Ignorant <deleted>, agree whole heartedly with this postee. They dont own the raod. :ph34r:

Back to the OP, sorry for the inconveniece of the traffic, had to wait 10 to 15 mins, sorry again, perhaps next time you could pay the Police and they would holt the traffic specially for you, were you transporting organs or blood to a life saving operation??? Please tell. :whistling:

How long did the production of the OP take you, 10 mins, do you not consider that a waste of time, sitting down and having to write your complaint? Using electricity and killing the planet? More importantly wasting our time reading and answering a ridiculous point. :rolleyes:

Tell us how your beer in Cha Am was, was it exciting being their, probably alone? :angry:

Ignorant <deleted>, agree whole heartedly with this postee. They dont own the raod. :ph34r:

Back to the OP, sorry for the inconveniece of the traffic, had to wait 10 to 15 mins, sorry again, perhaps next time you could pay the Police and they would holt the traffic specially for you, were you transporting organs or blood to a life saving operation??? Please tell. :whistling:

How long did the production of the OP take you, 10 mins, do you not consider that a waste of time, sitting down and having to write your complaint? Using electricity and killing the planet? More importantly wasting our time reading and answering a ridiculous point. :rolleyes:

Tell us how your beer in Cha Am was, was it exciting being their, probably alone? :angry:

And some wonder why flame wars start !!!

Response to the OP:

I popped down to Pattaya a few weekends ago and found the traffic worse than Bangkok !

I assume the roads as they are simply can't handle the volumes of traffic until logic is followed and 'logical' rules enforced.

Having to turn left and make a u turn down the road baffles me too. It appears that many of the traffic solutions in Thailand are actually counter productive and keep more cars on the road. I suspect that in certain areas of towns there is a significant proportion of the traffic simply looking for a u turn.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with HHFARANG. Long since learned to stay away from town on weekends and holidays. Just too many cars and clogs there everywhere.

I cannot understand you guys, try Bangkok for traffic, most of the time here traffic is fine just stay home on long weekends and end of the month pay day . In Thailand you will never see traffic as in your childhood ie one car per village.

Try moving the chair and get your tyres slashed or worse.

Of course there are no traffic problems in western cities, no doubt the police and the people are far more intelligent than those stupid Thais.

Well said. I have been watching for a while the efforts being made to improve traffic flow in the town (believe it or not they have been trying!), and I think the current attempt is looking the best so far (not saying it is perfect of course!). They seem to have realised that people do need to turn right or make u-turns and that by blocking the possibility as they used to actually makes traffic holdups worse. The biggest problem they face is the ignorance of some drivers, who double park or even triple park on occasion, although I can understand the problems the big buses have in finding somewhere to set down or pick up their passengers. As with many things here, better law enforcement would lead to more obeying of the law, and while it may not be a popular idea, I think the local authority should consider traffic wardens so the police can focus on other issues. Of course that won't end the attempted or successful backhanders but it probably would put an end to the chairs on the road and the motorbikes and cars parked inconsiderately. This eventually might help to pay for the provision of some proper municipal car parks (multi storey?), which are going to be needed at the rate Hua Hin is still expanding. One can dream I guess...