In Defence Of Chalong Pier Road

KarenBravo

I've seen a few posts where Chalong Pier road has been used to prove that Chalong is going to h3ll in a hand-basket just because it now has girly-bars.

Does anyone else remember Chalong Pier road when there was no night life? Just dive shops, diving equipment sales a few guest-houses and the odd restaurant?

The place was quiet and quite dead at night.

Slowly a few bars opened, along came food vendors and some more restaurants opened. People came, the street got livelier and far more interesting.

Now, for the Chalong locals, it's the only entertainment area that you don't need transport to get around.

Lots of good bars, many not girly bars, restaurants and street food. People watching almost as good as Bangla.

I for one, think it is a big improvement on the silent road it used to be.

Apart from trying to negotiate up and down it ,ina car..its certainly has changed the local bars etc, are all pretty freindly and not trying to rip anyone off,the local expats who use the area are mostly freindly,we even have QUIZ nights every 2 weeks at the Shabang bar...its also the home of THE GOMS at the Chalong beer garden,were you can also watch all the sports prorammes from around the world on 3 screens.. the Thai run bars are also very freindly most of them have been there a long time and are usually helpfull,overhaul a good area....

Yes I remember it when it was like a morgue.Much better now.Some of my favourite bars are there.

I can not understand all these people who keep going on about how many girlie bars there are and they are spoiling the place..Isn't that part of life in Thailand or are they terrified when they leave there gated ghettos in place like boring Bang Tao they will have to actually talk to one of the girls on passing the bars.

Karen was this to me because I mentioned in another tread that I was surprised to see so many look alike beer bars on the road to the pier!

Just an observation from my side and I have no interest in prove anything about Chalong and as said I don’t like the area and last time I was over there was between 2001-2003. When that’s said I can’t see that more bars of any kind which there are too much of already on this island can enrich the society.

You probably have another view and interest in Chalong and the nightlife than me, fine!

Karen was this to me because I mentioned in another tread that I was surprised to see so many look alike beer bars on the road to the pier!

Just an observation from my side and I have no interest in prove anything about Chalong and as said I don't like the area and last time I was over there was between 2001-2003. When that's said I can't see that more bars of any kind which there are too much of already on this island can enrich the society.

You probably have another view and interest in Chalong and the nightlife than me, fine!

Yes.....it was you and another bloke. Once I wouldn't take any notice, but twice! I felt I had to speak up.

Falken, please let me know what your idea of a prostitute is..... in most western countries a woman that sleeps with a man and then milks him for cash (whether it be 5 months or 50 years later) is referred to as a "a rich divorcee socialite" while in most asian countries ive heard them referred to as "bar girls" or "hookers".

Falken, please let me know what your idea of a prostitute is..... in most western countries a woman that sleeps with a man and then milks him for cash (whether it be 5 months or 50 years later) is referred to as a "a rich divorcee socialite" while in most asian countries ive heard them referred to as "bar girls" or "hookers".

Misogynist interpretations aside, I don't see why increased prostitution should be welcomed.

Say what now? Are you saying bar girls AREN'T prostitutes? Or are you saying most woman in the West are? I'm confused. :blink:

It's quite straight forward. Some people liked it how it was before, because they don't use or like girlie bars. These people will think it's now worse.

Some people like girlie bars, and think the area is now better.

Some peopel will be indifferent.

I think an ideal situation would be for there to be the bars, but them not be girlie bars. But the market is the market. :(

Im just pointing out how easy it is to label people, those girls on chalong pier road are just trying to earn a buck the only way they know how.

Don't see the connection myself. If you like an area the way it was, and then one day loads of girlie bars opened, you are likely to be some what disappointed. It doesn't mean you are being overly dissrespectful to the girls concerned. I have a great deal of sympathy for all the starving people in Africa for example, but I don't want them hanging around outside my house do I.

Your respect and defence of working girls is admirable, but I don't think it's relevant to any bodies opinion of how Chalong was or is now.

If people dont like change then thailand really isnt the place for them is it? when i go away for a month its amazing the changes that happen on this island, same as if you dont like women yelling out the front of bars and massage shops then you are probably going to find the place irritating.

About my rant before....i just get pissed off when people think they are better than others...when if they take a carefull look around themselves they will see that they are no different, jap.gif

If people dont like change then thailand really isnt the place for them is it? when i go away for a month its amazing the changes that happen on this island, same as if you dont like women yelling out the front of bars and massage shops then you are probably going to find the place irritating.

About my rant before....i just get pissed off when people think they are better than others...when if they take a carefull look around themselves they will see that they are no different, jap.gif

I will wait and see till October when On returns from the UK. On, the grand dame of the soi, sold of her parcels almost bare bones to a number of unsuspecting fools such as Nick of Muk's Place Bar.

Right now On's only bar left Come On Bar has mo ladies and is a hang out for her son and a few thai guys on the soi. Lets call the East half from Dock Town to the end of the road soi hoochie massage. Ther are to many LB's there for me, thank you! I can't wait to see what happens in the fall when On returns with plans to make money in the high season. It will happen!

Calling a prostitute a prostitute isn't a qualitative judgement.

Yes I remember it when it was like a morgue.Much better now.Some of my favourite bars are there.

I can not understand all these people who keep going on about how many girlie bars there are and they are spoiling the place..Isn't that part of life in Thailand or are they terrified when they leave there gated ghettos in place like boring Bang Tao they will have to actually talk to one of the girls on passing the bars.

:D This is one of the funniest posts I've read for a long time. 'Gated ghettos'?? :o What's one of them exactly? I don't think any of us are scared of talking to prostitutes mate, it's just that some of us don't have the need or desire to do so. The fact that in the last ten years, I can probably count the number of bar girls that didn't look like they'd been beaten half to death with the ugly stick, on one hand may have something to do with it. Beggers can't be choosers I guess. :whistling:

Like I said before, people who like girlie bars will be happy, it would be a bit like a child not being happy when you gave him some new lego to play with if they weren't. :D Those that don't require them or frequent them, and who liked it as it was before, will be dissapointed.I find it strange that you can't grasp that.

So let me ask you BTB, when was the last time you were on the pier road?

At night time, probably 3 years ago. During the day, about 3 months ago. Why do you ask? I'm fairly sure it would be possible to have the opinions I've shared without ever having been there once.

Someone not being happy about girlie bars cropping up where there never used to be any, obviously should be put down to them being scared to talk to prostitutes. :huh:

The bars are ok, just the gals are butt ugly and old..:)

I think some of the posters should take a look in a mirror, they may not be old but they are certainly ugly :cheesy:

so all those women that call out "hey sexy man" are actually lying to me rolleyes.gif

Just an observation from my side and I have no interest in prove anything about Chalong and as said I don’t like the area and last time I was over there was between 2001-2003. When that’s said I can’t see that more bars of any kind which there are too much of already on this island can enrich the society.

Guessing it was aimed at me also. I mean, does every bloody sexpat find this sleazy strip 'entertaining? (for I've yet to see any 'family types' at these Godawful shacks). Merely because the locals have no other idea. Where are the seafood restaurants/lounge bars sans tarts et el one would see in a similar locale anywhere else in the world apart from those whose predominant idea of attempting, pathetically, (most of them are empty) to lure 'tourists' is to play 10 year old disco at a rate of decibels with accompanying 'hello,welcomes' from some bored chick from the sticks who knows no better and is simply looking for some sad old git to fleece and pay their bar fines? Which go further UP the food chain.

Yes. That soi was quite dark and dreary. BUT. A little intelligence (ha!) and thought would have made it a very nice spot to enjoy an evening out for those of us who are not prepared/willing to pay for the amazing conversational, and er, otherwise skills of some sad uneducated farmgirl. Or 'boy'.

If the planning authorities (no, don't laugh) can only come up with that or bulldozing the lot down, I'd go for the latter.

Edited by evanson