Suzuki Caribian Mechanic Needed In Cm...

sfokevin

Please be gentle - I know I'm crazy!...

A close friend of mine has to return to Europe and sold me her 91 Suzuki Caribian...

I KNOW it is crazy to own one of these death traps - but they are so fun!...

I just got back from a weekend trip to Chiang Saen which was a bit of a white nuckler...

The steering has about a 1/2 turn of play in it!!!

So what I need is a reliable mechanic here in Chiang Mai that is familiar with the Caribian

This will most likely be a long term and profitable relationship

So the frist thing I need done is to have the half turn of play repaired in the steering wheel!!!... I assume a new steering box needs to be put in!... I was thinking of just taking it to the Suzuki dealer - But not sure if they still work on them or if they would just laugh?

Maybe their are Caribian Clubs?... Support Groups?... 10 Step Programs?...

Any recommendations would be appreciated :D

• Haha 1

I like Suzuki Jeeps. It has great strengths, and great weaknesses, you will get familiar with both.

I don't know the answer to the question, technically it is a really simple vehicle, so any general car shop that comes recommended and is nearby is worth a try.

I would not take a 20 year old car to a dealer, and pay premium for everything. I would find a solid mechanic who knows his stuff; vehicles don't come much simpler than a Suzuki Caribbean.

With some attention it will be really reliable, and ultra cheap.

Bring it back to Suzuki dealer !!!!! might as well buy a new car

Agree with your part 1, not part 2.

These little CarryBeans may be crude and uncomfortable, slow and all too willing to turn over, but they are strong and reliable. Most responsible previous owners will tell you this: most fair-to-good mechanics can do most things on these cars EXCEPT the steering!

Take it to the Suzuki dealers on the Doi Saket Rd. They will not laugh. They will sort out that (important) excess play problem and charge Very reasonable labour rates.

Please do this for your own safety. Get the thing serviced properly and regularly. Take bends steadily....... and enjoy!

I had a horrible experience with the Suzuki dealer on the Doi Sakett road when I brought my Caribian there. They replaced my entire brake sytem only to find out later I only needed a new O ring in the master cylinder. but the process of finding that out wrecked my clutch too. I paid more than 20k baht for what should have been a 500 baht repair. But maybe you will have better results.

I would go to a shop that specializes in off-roading. These guys work on Caribians all the time and they know what works.

I had a horrible experience with the Suzuki dealer on the Doi Sakett road when I brought my Caribian there. They replaced my entire brake sytem only to find out later I only needed a new O ring in the master cylinder. but the process of finding that out wrecked my clutch too. I paid more than 20k baht for what should have been a 500 baht repair. But maybe you will have better results.

I would go to a shop that specializes in off-roading. These guys work on Caribians all the time and they know what works.

^ Seconded. They took care of our age-ing Vitara and it was very, very $$$$$$$ expensive, and not very good. Same experience as yours, really.

As been said a Cariban is super simple, so a good mechanic would do. I don't know any, sorry ;)

^ Seconded. They took care of our age-ing Vitara and it was very, very $$$$ expensive, and not very good. Same experience as yours, really.

As been said a Cariban is super simple, so a good mechanic would do. I don't know any, sorry ;)

So, let me make sure I've got this straight.

You both went to Suzuki, you both had a horrible time both financially and repair wise, but neither of you appear to be able to tell the OP where you went to afterwards or where you found a decent mechanic?

I presume you just got rid of your Suzuki's and never needed a mechanic ever again?

If properly maintained, these little creature are bullet proof, well almost:). Your steering problem may be in the steering box it's self or in the ball joints linking the tie rod ends to your front wheels, or a combination of both. There is a good off road shop very near to my house that I have used and have had no complaints, yet...

My Caribbean also has allot of play in the steering as the years have gone by and he quoted me Bht 8,000 to put in a new power steering box and new tie rod ends. I have not gotten around to it yet, but will on my next trip home. He has changed my brakes, water pump and thermostat along with the timing belt and all new shocks and again I had no complaints.

I'm not saying that you'll have the same luck with the guy as everything in Thailand changes from day to day, so all I can do is let you know where he's located and you can stop by and judge for your self.

As your going South on Canal road, take a right at the Samoeng road and go about 1/2 a kilometer and he's on the left hand side of the road. There are always 4x4's parked there and he is always quite busy.

Hope this helps.

As your going South on Canal road, take a right at the Samoeng road and go about 1/2 a kilometer and he's on the left hand side of the road. There are always 4x4's parked there and he is always quite busy.

Hope this helps.

Always useful to have a list of mechanics to try. smile.gif

^ Seconded. They took care of our age-ing Vitara and it was very, very $$$$ expensive, and not very good. Same experience as yours, really.

So, let me make sure I've got this straight.

You both went to Suzuki, you both had a horrible time both financially and repair wise, but neither of you appear to be able to tell the OP where you went to afterwards or where you found a decent mechanic?

I presume you just got rid of your Suzuki's and never needed a mechanic ever again?

Well I lived in Chonburi at the time and was only visiting Chiang Mai. Near bang saen there is a specialty 4x4 shop and owner is a Thai champion off road driver and he races Caribians so I was well taken care of there. I suggested he look for the same type of shop in CM. I sold my Caribian 4 years ago as it was not suited to long drives.

I now live in Chiang Mai and have used different mechanics and they have been good.

Edited by canuckamuck

Just a note on the Suzuki dealer,as the OP mentioned that he was looking may be to have Power Steering added.

I had power steering added to my Caribian as it was a older model with no Power Steering or Fuel Injection,it cost at the time 10000 Baht for the installation.

The Power steering Box seemed not to be new ,looked hand painted to me at the time, I then after about 5000 Kilometers found that the inside of the two front tires were worn considerably, took it back to Suzuki and asked them to check the tracking, but at the time they said i would have to take it some where else as they did not have a tracking machine so how had they managed to reset the tracking after installing the power steering i wondered?.

So it might be a good idea for the OP if he decides to get Suzuki (Or any body else come to that) to install power steering just to check if they have a tracking machine and if not would they take it some where to get the tracking checked after the installation.

Apart from excessive tire wear other indicators of tracking problems are the car will pull to one side if one lets go of the steering wheel (Just be careful with that one) and squealing of the tires when going around bends (As in the bends on the 118 going up to chaing Rai)

TB

• 11 years later...

I'm having hell from the Suzuki mob - don't even know where my Suzuki Vitara has been taken - without my permission or any conversation concerning last week's drastic overheating issue. I'd called my usual mechanic - who failed to turn up two days running - knew enough not to drive it so called Suzuki for a visit. Couple of guys turned up, I showed them the symptoms, described etc etc - no information was given to me , BUT - to my horror I saw my car being driven away fast - without my permission-to an unknown destination!!!!

It's been four days now - with the exception of an email exchange - I have no idea where the car is, no information as to the cause of the overheat and no info as to what they'd do about it, cost, timeframe etc.
Due to the holiday, it's impossible to get in touch with anyone and I had stuff I needed in the disappeared car. A friend drove me down to their 118 place - coudn't see my car anywhere on the lot and am now getting very concerned.

Warning to other troubled Suzuki owners - watch out for this lot and don't leave your keys in the dash if you've requested a visit.