Ricshaw Tour Of Old City

VinceAU

My brother and I will be visiting Chiang Mai in October and would like to start by taking a samlor ride around the old city. I've seen this (http://www.chiangmai-carnival.com/samlor/) but was thinking of something more informal, just stopping and getting on and off wherever we have the urge. Is it possible to rent a samlor for a day? If so where do the drivers hang out, and what would be a reasonable price to bargain for?

It depends on how many people per coach, and their size. About 100 baht per hour ($3.00 per hour) is a decent price to work around :) The drivers hang out all over town... Have fun :)

It depends on how many people per coach, and their size. About 100 baht per hour ($3.00 per hour) is a decent price to work around :) The drivers hang out all over town... Have fun :)

Can't imagine they would ask 100B/hour. How much do you think the old ladies who use them for market shopping pay them?

I would guess 300B, and they will be more than happy. :)

Can't imagine they would ask 100B/hour. How much do you think the old ladies who use them for market shopping pay them?

Including Doi Suthep? biggrin.gif

They are not little old ladies going shopping... More like fat farangs.

30 baht, no way.

30 baht, no way.

Maybe I was not clear enough with my post. The 300Baht would be for renting the samlor for one day sightseeing the Old City.

30 baht, no way.

Maybe I was not clear enough with my post. The 300Baht would be for renting the samlor for one day sightseeing the Old City.

I think his point was that they charge farangs by the kilo - not by the hour...

Edited by sfokevin

Whilst quite fresh to the city, I paid 400 Baht to be taken to and from Huay Teung Tao with him waiting a couple of hours whilst there. On the return we stopped off at a couple of bars in Santitam. About 4 or 5 hours in total.

I remember talking to an older Thai neighbour who paid 200 Baht to be taken from home, to Kaad Warorot and home, about 2 hours for 200 Baht.

These guys invest quite a bit of money in the yellow plate needed to be a taxi, then consider the fuel (OK, LPG, but still an expense), the cost of the driver and the cost of the vehicle and 500Baht for a 9-5am shift is probably reasonable.

That said, a map and a couple of bicycles would be a much more interesting way to explore the old city. 30 minutes in a TukTuk is plenty.

As for the other question as to where they hang about..... generally roads, occasionally off road. You'll be sure to find one. Bicycles, if interested, are available by the day in various shops around the old city, sub 100Baht.

Whilst quite fresh to the city, I paid 400 Baht to be taken to and from Huay Teung Tao with him waiting a couple of hours whilst there. On the return we stopped off at a couple of bars in Santitam. About 4 or 5 hours in total.

I remember talking to an older Thai neighbour who paid 200 Baht to be taken from home, to Kaad Warorot and home, about 2 hours for 200 Baht.

These guys invest quite a bit of money in the yellow plate needed to be a taxi, then consider the fuel (OK, LPG, but still an expense), the cost of the driver and the cost of the vehicle and 500Baht for a 9-5am shift is probably reasonable.

That said, a map and a couple of bicycles would be a much more interesting way to explore the old city. 30 minutes in a TukTuk is plenty.

As for the other question as to where they hang about..... generally roads, occasionally off road. You'll be sure to find one. Bicycles, if interested, are available by the day in various shops around the old city, sub 100Baht.

The subject in this thread is bicycles. No gasoline needed. :whistling:

woops!

Samlors, hang around near Kaad San Pa Koi over Nawarat bridge down the second road on your right.

Some others hang around the coffee shop at the junction of Loi Kroh and Kamphaeng Din. These more aimed at tourists.

No idea of costs.

Edited by naboo

woops!

Samlors, hang around near Kaad San Pa Koi over Nawarat bridge down the second road on your right.

Some others hang around the coffee shop at the junction of Loi Kroh and Kamphaeng Din. These more aimed at tourists.

No idea of costs.

For farang expensive - you pay for the unique experience, especially when they run across busy traffic junctions. rolleyes.gif

yep, the old thai/chinese ladies who use the samlors are fat. i guess they like the idea that somebody is actually working hard for them.

i rather just take a tuk tuk or songthao, eventhough i hate those, but at least i don't feel sorry for the driver.

whole day of riding around the city on a samlor should be about 500thb in my opinion. depends how hot it is and how fat you are.

Some of the older Thai ladies on our soi use a samlor every day to return from their morning shopping at Warorot. They walk to the market and then use a samlor to return home. The drivers help unload the many bags of produce they buy. I see them give the drivers 20 baht and the trip isn't long from our soi to the market.

Some of the older Thai ladies on our soi use a samlor every day to return from their morning shopping at Warorot. They walk to the market and then use a samlor to return home. The drivers help unload the many bags of produce they buy. I see them give the drivers 20 baht and the trip isn't long from our soi to the market.

Yes, sometimes they just load the samlor to the brim with stuff they've bought too, bags hanging off the back etc.

The poor old guy sometimes has trouble getting going and once started really works hard for his 20 Baht.

Yes, sometimes they just load the samlor to the brim with stuff they've bought too, bags hanging off the back etc.

The poor old guy sometimes has trouble getting going and once started really works hard for his 20 Baht.

I've seen the Thai ladies utilize these the samlor drivers at the market. They select one when they arrive and bring their purchases to him, while he waits for them to visit the various market stalls and bring bag after bag of stuff to his samlor. So they're tied up, unable to handle other customers, during the time that the lady is shopping, gossiping, etc. Then, once they bring the lady home, they have to endure the yips and nips of the lady's little dustmop dog while they unload the bags. Yes, they work hard for their 20 baht!

I've seen the Thai ladies utilize these the samlor drivers at the market. They select one when they arrive and bring their purchases to him, while he waits for them to visit the various market stalls and bring bag after bag of stuff to his samlor. So they're tied up, unable to handle other customers, during the time that the lady is shopping, gossiping, etc. Then, once they bring the lady home, they have to endure the yips and nips of the lady's little dustmop dog while they unload the bags. Yes, they work hard for their 20 baht!

Priceless and accurate. biggrin.gif