Usb Net Dongle For Mac

freedomnow

Can anyone suggest a good USB internet dongle for Apple mac ?

I want a pay-as-you-go type set up as I may be in and out of Thailand for months at a time and then back for 1 month at a time.

I used the vodaphone dongle briefly in the UK but service signal was quite poor compared to their 7.2 MEG advertised speed so how does the signal perform in Bangkok along the skytrain foreigner residents bubble areas ?

I've been spoiled with 100 meg at home for the last couple of years but will now need to go back to <10meg dongles while travelling .........It is funny that 100 meg = only 5-8 MB down speed and 2-5MB up speed and some SSD HDDs can read and write at 500MB.(people confuse MB and Mbits and ISP's know it !)

The internet speeds really are lagging hardware performance........oh the days of 56k in 1999 in the UK !!!

Edited by freedomnow

Nice ramble.....

Anyway, what model is your Vodafone modem. Perhaps you can get it unlocked. I would normally suggest that you unlock it yourself, but I'm not sure that you can do that with a Mac.

Otherwise D-LINK DWM-156 covers TRUE 3G and TOT 3G, but not AIS 3G. If you want AIS 3G you will have a buy a modem that forgoes TRUE 3G.

Nice ramble.....

Yep, it was ! Thanks, will track the dongle down you suggested and check re: unlocking it . My old vodaphone one is long gone.

The modem I have suggested is not locked to any network. I was referring to the unlocking of the Vodafone modem.

If you wish to avail of AIS 3G you will have to buy a different modem. Look through this section for more info.

Which areas do you intend to visit?

Nice ramble.....

Anyway, what model is your Vodafone modem. Perhaps you can get it unlocked. I would normally suggest that you unlock it yourself, but I'm not sure that you can do that with a Mac.

Otherwise D-LINK DWM-156 covers TRUE 3G and TOT 3G, but not AIS 3G. If you want AIS 3G you will have a buy a modem that forgoes TRUE 3G.

Do you practice daily being sarcastic to TV forum members or does it just come naturally ??

The OP was making a statement-thats all ??

And by the way I had to go ALL the way to the deputy manageing director of Argos making a right fuss before getting confirmation that Argos had NEVER, or could NEVER sell an unlocked dongle from outlets, because of marketing agreements with UK's major telecom suppliers.

So to OP take this guys comments with a wealth warning.

I like your profile pic...

AIS 3G. Dongle costs 1,500 or 1,800 baht, prepaid SIM...

Thanks everyone, the AIS dongle sounds good as well.I hope it does not mess up my Mac system like the vodaphone one did.After I uninstalled the software it was still executing something according to my OSX terminal...some infinite loop nonsense.

I will be staying around Chatuchuk Park if I can get decent studio digs for around 10k per month then going around Siam Square coffee shops and also a few days in Chiang Mai...just want to keep my eye on Thai stocks wherever I am if coffee shops don't have a free connection for customers.

Edited by freedomnow

Nice ramble.....

Do you practice daily being sarcastic to TV forum members or does it just come naturally ??

The OP was making a statement-thats all ??

And by the way I had to go ALL the way to the deputy manageing director of Argos making a right fuss before getting confirmation that Argos had NEVER, or could NEVER sell an unlocked dongle from outlets, because of marketing agreements with UK's major telecom suppliers.

So to OP take this guys comments with a wealth warning.

Come on Chivas. Anyone who reads my posts knows that I know of what I post and anyone who reads your knows immediately that you do not. A cursory search of your post history will reveal a pathological liar and a BS artist. Not only on this forum but others too.

You will make ludicrous claims and disappear from the thread when challenged, as in your recent thread Aeon V Siam Commercial V Bangkok Bank. I guess this is the reason why you are exhibiting your current bitterness.

As to your spurious claim of being in contact with the Deputy MD of Argos(ludicrous)..... ARGOS has absolutely no control over whether O2 lock their modems or not. They did not unlock it, it was never locked.

O2 only started locking their modems after the release of their Huawei E160. That means that all stocks of the O2 Huawei E160 have no Network Lock. ARGOS would have no idea as to whether this discontinued item was Networked Locked or not. Do you think that they open them up and test them with another network's SIM??

What you fail to mention is that you sent me a PM and admitted that you tried to get it working with an AIS SIM whilst you were in the UK!! You clearly had no idea of what you were doing, so you claimed that it was locked.

When asked to confirm certain details so that I could check that you had the right modem, you either refused or tried to fool me with lies. You tried to tell me the model number was a Huawei E156G(which in fact I knew to be another modem that you had bought two years previously). Then you told me that it had the same version of Mobile Partner as your Huawei E156G. Another lie, as the O2 modem does not have Mobile Partner installed, they have their own proprietary connection manager.

Your lies were catching up with you, so then you told me that your brother had your modem, so you could not read any details from it. So I asked for the Argos sales code on the box. This time you claimed that your brother had the box too. So you were asked to call him to ask for the code. No reply.

On another board you claimed that I apologised to you and admitted it was locked via PM. That is just sick. I give you permission to post any apology and/or admission that you claim I have sent to you via PM.

You need help my friend. You are doing the same thing over many forums. I seriously think that you are not well.

We are still waiting for figures in the Aeon V Siam Commercial V Bangkok Bank that you started. You again kicked up a fuss about AEON cards and then vacated the thread without providing the evidence when challenged.

Apologies to all for me responding to his post. But in this case it is definitely worth exposing this fraud. If in doubt, take a little time to peruse his posts/threads. You will see the pattern.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

• 3 weeks later...

Any unlocked wifi dongles?

RAZZ

What are you talking?

If you are going to hijack someone else's thread, at least you should try to make some sense.

Who the fuc_k are you? A "self-appointed"moderator"... :lol:

I suggest you learn some manners before someone teaches you some :annoyed:

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL