Kawasaki Klx 250

pluto_manibo

I have never ridden one but what appeals top me, is the fact that they are sold and assembled here, large distribution of parts, warranty and mechanics who(supposedly!) know how to maintain and service the bike. The echoes from owners is that they are vastly underpowered and a lot of people have been disappointed by the stock performance of the bike. Frankly, I am considering using it for trails and roads in the countryside as well as getting in and around town. Is it a fun bike, any issues, Kawasaki service any good, any recommendations for mods etc...and reviews from owners?

I usually like my 2008 DTracker250 which now has KLX wheels on it.

Mine either has a bad ECU or modding the exhaust of the bike messes with the ECU.

My 2008 model used to cut out for no reason at the recommended idle speed.

It also has intermittent starting problems which is dangerous when you're stranded in the woods.

I read a thread that they replaced some ECUs in Chiang Mai.

When I explained how dangerous my bike was stalling in traffic, Rama 9 in BKK wouldn't help me out because the ECU tested out fine according to them.

My friend has a 2011 KLX with aftermarket muffler and he notices it has trouble starting sometimes now.

This bike could be dangerous if you mod it because it will stall in traffic or doesn't start in the middle of nowhere.

I have another friend that kept his 2011 model stock and while it's slow, it always works as it should.

Unless you can afford a KTM690, the KLX is your only easy option.

theres also a tiger x-road 250cc motard but ive read a few terriblly dangerous faults about one that somebody bought,cracked forks and melted plastics on brand new bike ,pulling to one side when u take your hands offf the bars etc etc ........ i think he returned it for a refund

they are cheap though :rolleyes:

d-tracker/klx seems a much safer bet for a bit more money

^ Congrats :)

Best deal for the money in Thailand, no question. De-restricting is easy, you can bypass some cable + the mod is offered for 2000 baht or so. Or you find the instructions and do it yourself, they were posted in various forums. Back when the "performance" Kawasaki ECU - which had the same effect as the cheap mod - was 8k baht.

I didn't mod my 2008 D-Tracker and never had any issues starting or stalling. I had the ECU replaced by the dealer - they didn't check it, they just replaced all of them, it was a recall I think. I was going to de-restrict it after the ECU replacement but it turned out my replacement ECU didn't have the RPM restriction for some reason - the bike de-restricted itself somehow (I made them double check and they didn't install a performance ECU by mistake).

Anyway the restriction cuts RPM in gears 3 and above to 8000 or so. Restricted, the D-Tracker would go 115, derestricted 135.