What Roads Can I Drive My Motorbike On ?

paulian

I have a Suzuki 125 Hayati. Does anyone know what roads I cannot and can drive the bike on. Specifically out of Pattaya there is Route 36 which heads North to Sri Racha and the Open Zoo which I want to visit. This highway on some maps, is referred to as Route 7 and on other maps route 36. I also would like to take it to Rayon instead of Route 3. and ... In general is there a way to tell what roads a smaller motorbike can travel on in the Kingdom.

any road exept highway toll

That is correct. If you get on a toll road, turn around and get off. Basically, if there is a choice of roads, such as a frontage road and a main road, you have to stay on the slowest moving section, ie the frontage road. If there is only one, use it. In the cities, you will see the "No Motorbike" signs to warn you.

any size of bike, you are not allowed to use the expressways. Most expressways in TH are tollways, but #4 is not. No bikes and 8 wheeler (or larger) trucks signs posted tho.

You are not allowed to use the right lanes on Highways and local roads

You should consider getting yourself a Thai DL, simple tests and you get to learn TH traffic codes

I used to commute every day route 36 and 7 on my bike and never stopped by BiB

was it a fast bike :)

Oh yes....... CBR150 hehehe :D

I never ever used the bike lane, on any roads, far far too dangerous. Used to sit on 100 but depending on traffic sometimes up to 120 or 130.

Except for the realy fast ones, i liked to be first away at lights (minding for the red crashes) and stay ahead of the mob. Last 2 years I was working in Bang Saray so used highway 3 to Rayong/work and return everyday. Again avoided the left bike suicide lane like the plague. Never ever had any problems even passing BIB etc. Often be riding most of the way in the right hand lane. But keeping an eye on the rear mirrors constantly.

any size of bike, you are not allowed to use the expressways. Most expressways in TH are tollways, but #4 is not. No bikes and 8 wheeler (or larger) trucks signs posted tho.

You should consider getting yourself a Thai DL, simple tests and you get to learn TH traffic codes

Really? I'm sure that is what the police state but i have never seen it in writing..

Actually i remember on here about 2 years ago some one showing a Thai rath news paper article stating that to be wrong.

That you are allowed to overtake just like anyone else.

Yea, I already got a Thai license Car and Motorbike and found the manuals with all the regulations in them which are ALL written in Thai were no help. That was a few months ago. There's nothing to learn at a Thai DMV for a westerner, believe me, if you haven't been to one lately.

I used to commute every day route 36 and 7 on my bike and never stopped by BiB

was it a fast bike :)

Oh yes....... CBR150 hehehe :D

I never ever used the bike lane, on any roads, far far too dangerous. Used to sit on 100 but depending on traffic sometimes up to 120 or 130.

Except for the realy fast ones, i liked to be first away at lights (minding for the red crashes) and stay ahead of the mob. Last 2 years I was working in Bang Saray so used highway 3 to Rayong/work and return everyday. Again avoided the left bike suicide lane like the plague. Never ever had any problems even passing BIB etc. Often be riding most of the way in the right hand lane. But keeping an eye on the rear mirrors constantly.

What ever the law states, anyone who drives in the "bike lane" on a local road must certainly have a death wish. It's the last place I will drive in no matter how fast I must drive to stay up with traffic in the 1 & 2 lanes, on local roads.

Really? I'm sure that is what the police state but i have never seen it in writing..

Actually i remember on here about 2 years ago some one showing a Thai rath news paper article stating that to be wrong.

ThaiCBR is correct, there is nothing in the Thai Land Traffic Act that states motorcycles are required to stay in the left-most lane.

Sections 33 and 34 of the Land Traffic act state that ALL vehicles should stay left except when overtaking, road is less than 6m wide, road is one way, left lane is a bus lane, it is necessary to be in correct lane when approaching a junction, etc etc.

If you have some free time and want to have some fun, next time a BiB tries to scam money out of you for not being in the left lane challenge them to show you what law you have broken. They can't and will eventually send you on your way as they see other victims roll by.

Please note that there are many areas where police have put up signs stating motorcycles should stay left. Similarly, some flyover and bridges are off limits to bikes and others aren't. You have to look for the signs. At the end of the day you have to remember that time is money and everything in Thailand is negotiable :jap:

Happy Trails!

T

Edited by BigBikeBKK

katabeachbum is not wrong. The law says that you must chitt sai = keep to the left. Then there is also a law that says that motorcycles are allowed to drive in the left lane only if the road has 2 or less lanes and in the first 2 lanes if the road has more than 2 lanes. UNLESS the road has a shoulder, if it does then the rule chitt sai (keep to the left) rule apply and you must stay on the shoulder

katabeachbum is not wrong. The law says that you must chitt sai = keep to the left. Then there is also a law that says that motorcycles are allowed to drive in the left lane only if the road has 2 or less lanes and in the first 2 lanes if the road has more than 2 lanes. UNLESS the road has a shoulder, if it does then the rule chitt sai (keep to the left) rule apply and you must stay on the shoulder

The Thai Land Traffic Act is available for viewing at any Land Transport Office. I'm happy to eat humble pie if you can prove that the law you're talking about exists. Title and Section please, or it doesn't exist :rolleyes:

Edited by BigBikeBKK

The Thai Land Traffic Act is available for viewing at any Land Transport Office. I'm happy to eat humble pie if you can prove that the law you're talking about exists. Title and Section please, or it doesn't exist :rolleyes:

I checked that with a lawyer after got caught the first time over 20 years ago now. The law hasn't changed since 2522. The information is freely available at http://www.trafficpolice.go.th/law.php

This is why Bangkok police choose to stand where 3 lanes go down to 2 on Sukhumvit Rd (because one lane gets dedicated to turning etc) and never stand where there are 3 lanes going straight on. This is why Bangkok police accepts that motorcycles drive in the left-most 2 lanes on Ratchadaphisek Rd and take those driving in lane 3 and 4 every end of the month. That's why I drive in the second lane on Ratchadaphisek Rd in front of police standing there with their ticket books booking people, because both they and I know that I can legally do that

I have not bothered to check if this is local regulation for Bangkok or not, that could be one reason for why we seem to disagree :)

http://www.trafficpolice.go.th/law.php

I have not bothered to check if this is local regulation for Bangkok or not, that could be one reason for why we seem to disagree :)

its the same all over the country

its taught to anyone bothering to test to have Thai DL

riding a bike in right lane having an accident, you have a tough case not getting the fault

must admit i do it anyway, makes no sense to be faster than all cars and being on left side

riding a bike in right lane having an accident, you have a tough case not getting the fault

must admit i do it anyway, makes no sense to be faster than all cars and being on left side

Thought so, not that it is because of the Thai DL test I took. Or? Must say that I still... haven't bothered to get a Thai drivers licence, 20 years, never needed one (yet) :D

Edited by MikeyIdea

Thought so, not that it is because of the Thai DL test I took. Or? Must say that I still... haven't bothered to get a Thai drivers licence, 20 years, never needed one (yet) :D

I can assure you, at least in Pattaya Land Transport Department, nothing is taught to you about the driving laws whatsoever when you go to get your license car or motorcycle. Maybe in the past, however, as of 2 months ago all manuals are in Thai and all they want is to get you out of there as fast as possible. Fail the written, drivers or reaction test and you have to make another trip back. This sight and the web is where you have to learn the driving laws of the land, DMV is no help for that.

Drive on all of 'em except tollways. Drive however you want, wherever you want, just make sure you're faster than the BiB.

Best advice so far.... the faster you learn to break the law, the longer you will stay alive.

Keep 100 baht grease money folded up next to license and hand it too them the same time as the license....if he gets greedy there is a law somewhere that states there are no fines over 400 baht, even for multiple offenses.

Dont be nervous to grease him, they love it. Only time you cant grease him is when you see a table set up next to the road to pay fines on spot. When you see the table its because the precinct needs money because all the cops are on the take and arent reporting the fines.

• 11 years later...

I have mostly rented bikes up north  but will try to get into some  basic biking again 

Today I came on #3 S of Pattaya (beyond Jomtien, Huay Yai) and turned up on the #7

#3 and #7 seemed similar quality roads but there was a police check where vehicles in opposite direction left #7. Two lorries got off the #7 into a lane left of the road and I followed them to a U turn under #7

I got an impression  motorbikes were not allowed on #7. Is that right? How can I tell? Google Maps indicates that as road for motorbike.

GaKNbW.jpg

6 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

Avoid mainly the roads that are the whereabouts of the Robin Hoods dressed in brown and Golden Wings.

????  But after the U-turn in the "slow lane" both me and the lorries had to pass the gentlemen in brown. We were not stopped. I got a feeling they were stopping bikes and slower traffic on #7.  But that is just a guess. I might have missed signs.

• Sad 1