New Bus Services For Cm - 5 Lines

stateman

CM politicians held a big news conference on October 28, 05 announcing 5 new fixed-route bus services for CM, according to CMnews.

New minibus services to start October 31, 05 for 2 lines. Services to use twenty-five 31-seater air-conditioned bus running between 6am-10pm at B10 for the entire route. Routes to encircle town (no specifics given).

Red 4-wheelers by the familiar co-op will also be responsible for 2 routes, with 100 vehicles, at B15 for the entire route.

One private bus company, Kwan Wiang, will operate 1 route at B10 for the entire route.

Vehicles in this plan will display a red logo which looks similar to a handshake, and a number 2-4-6-8 or 10.

Not really a first time event.

Chiang mai used to have a pretty good bus service. You can still see the odd rusting yellow bus in various places round town. I believe it was stopped when the sawng tow owners took over the council a few years back.

Edited by lamphun

...and the new buses do appear to be plying their routes today.

Apparently I am on the No 2 route, as I have been seeing the buses going up and down Charoenrat Rd all day. Must be more than one or even more than 2 running this route as they seem to come by about every 15 mins or so.

In some cases they couldn't turn around and come back that quickly.

For some reason seeing the buses makes me feel really good. Almost like going out and buying a coffee for the drivers.

Sunday afternoon at the airport, big crowd, no taxis.

So I took Bus No 6 from the airport to the Phucome corner of Huay Kaew rd.

The staff was not sure if they were going my way, but so it said on the outside of the bus.

Cheerful atmosphere, all Thai, not a word of English.

It looked like they would stop wherever needed, at least I couldn't see any stop signs.

This is the flyer they handed out. I can send a better scan if needed.

Maybe someone who reads Thai can tell us more about the service.

Do they circulate in both directions, unlike Bus No 10 which only goes clockwise inside of town?

cnxbus2s.jpg

cnxbus1s.jpg

So.. Is there a list with the routes somewhere? Above I only see 'User posted image' but not the actual image?

Here's a part from the above image showing the routes. Map is oriented so North is to the right.

Thanks, Ajarn; the pics I posted are a bit on the heavy side.

I took No. 6 to Carrefour yesterday, quite a long trip with the detours to Changphueak and Arcade. The bus doesn't stop at Carrefour on the way back so I had to go all the way to Nong Hoi first.

Bus 4 serves "Cafou" also, but that's the old red buses with no view.

I think the buses are great if you want to explore the town and have time.

I saw quite a few locals using the service, women going shopping, students on the way home.

BUS ROUTES IN ENGLISH

tchk’s request is reasonable. It seems that routes in English may be helpful. So here it is!

Well folks, it is a bit hard to translate all the names to English. I chose the middle ground to translate them to something meaningful and useful. Some specific names may be different from what the organization itself uses. If you find the difference, feel free to make update and repost. (Won’t hurt my feeling!)

Route 2

Nong Hoi Housing – 7th AAA (Anti-Aircraft Artillery) Battalion

Savings Bank, Nong Hoi Branch

Baan Den Electric Power

Baan Him Ping Archaic House (as pronounced in Northern dialec, and literally translated) or probably pronounced in Official Thai and translated into English as

BaanRimPing Historic House.

Chiang Mai Christian School

The Resort

Lotus, KumTiang Branch

Wat Kuang Singh School

Boriboon Market

Suan Luang Rama 9 or Rama 9 Royal Garden

Lanna Golf

(CM) Provincial Office

7th AAA (Anti-Aircraft Artillery) Battalion

Route 4

Carrefour – Airport

Carrefour

Arcade Transport

Telephone Org.

Train Station

Waroros Market

MaePing Post Office

Chang Moi

Ta Pae Gate

Chiangmai Commercial School

Elderly Residence

Chiang Mai Baan King Kaew Gate

Cultural Center

Airport Central

Airport

‘Round City – Left Circle, Right Circle

Start and end - Nong Hoi Housing

Montfort Secondary School

Lotus, KumTiang Branch

RachaPat U., Chiang Mai

White Elephant Transport

CM Computer Center and Education

Governing Court

Kad Cherng Doi

Tone Pa Yawm Market

Maharaj Hospital

Nong Buak Haad Public Garden

Suan Prung Hospital

Airport

Chiang Mai Land

Mongfort Primary School

France Assoc.

SeeSuan

Route 8

Airport – Government Office

Airport

Niyom Panich

Watanotai Payap School

Chiang Mai Ram 1 Hospital

White Elephant Market

Kiwit Thamrong School

White Elephant Transport

RachaPat U., Chiang Mai

Wat Kuang Singh School

Suan Luang Rama 9 or Rama 9 Royal Garden

(CM) Provincial Office

Provincial Local Admininistration Org. (Au-Bor-Jor)

Wat Mor Kum Tuang

School of the Blind

Nong Buak Haad Public Garden

Suan Prung Hospital

Route 10

Kwan Wiang Village – Around City

Kwan Wiang Village

Central airport

Airport

Watanotai Payap School

Chiang Mai Ram 1 Hospital

White Elephant Market

Kiwit Thamrong School

Yuparaj School

Som Pet Market

Tone Lum Yai Market (Longan Plant Market)

Night Bazaar

Baan Kiew Kaew

Chiang Mai Cultural Center

Services: 06:00 – 22:00 hours

Two-row seats Vehicle (Rod Song Taew) B15

Municipal Bus B10

Students in uniform, Monks, Elderlies discount B5

Handicapped Free for the entire route.

Minibus 31-seater. EURO II exhaust standard.

Chiang Mai Municipality Serving the People

[Note one local posting on another website stated that Routes 2/6/10 are air-conditioned. But Routes 4/8 still use the same ole red trucks with no AC, except that they now run in fixed routes inside the city. Also note that the municipal bus’ routes are more outward. So to use the minibus coming into the city, one may still needs to use the red trucks, for a total fare of B25. ]

I suppose free tranfer passes from one bus to another are not an option if you need 2 bus lines to get where you are going (ex. 6 (gold) and 2(blue))?  Just pay two 10 baht fares?

Speaking of #2, does anyone know if that goes as far as Mae Rim market?

1. based on local's posting i read, there is no free trasnfer coupon.

2. route 2, to 7th AAA (Anti-Aircraft Artillery) Battalion, which is in Amphur MaeRim, according to google. relative to the mae rim mkt, i don't know.

I suppose free tranfer passes from one bus to another are not an option if you need 2 bus lines to get where you are going (ex. 6 (gold) and 2(blue))?  Just pay two 10 baht fares?

Speaking of #2, does anyone know if that goes as far as Mae Rim market?

1. based on local's posting i read, there is no free trasnfer coupon.

2. route 2, to 7th AAA (Anti-Aircraft Artillery) Battalion, which is in Amphur MaeRim, according to google. relative to the mae rim mkt, i don't know.

Thanks stateman. If it is the place that I am thinking of then it is still a good few km before MR market. Hopefully they will some day extend it as far as the market.

seeker,

logically i'd think that the bus shoud go all the way to the district (amphur) office, and the district police office. as i understand, the mae rim market is across from the district office. so there is a good chance the bus would take you there. i would be really surprised if someone stop the bus serveral km short of the important landmarks mentioned above.

according to the map, the military base before the district office is called the army burden animal battalion, which is located at the intersection of Hwy 107 and Hwy 121 (outer ring road). i guess that is the one you thought of.

:o

Thanks again stateman. I am curious as to what map you are looking at to see this detail of where the army base is. Please post a link if it is online.

Logically I agree with you and would have thought so myself, but TIT. :o

I will certainly try to go that far when I get back in town, but we will see. Wow! Real aircon bus rides around Chiang Mai! I may hardly ever drive. :D

BTW, you are correct about the location of the market and probably the base as well, and that is why I would love to see the map you are looking at. Hard to find a map with that much detail so far out of Chiang Mai.

seeker

Thank you for the translation, stateman.

From what the staff told me and from my own observations, the buses run more like every 20 minutes. I saw several buses of lines 2 and 6 parked at the terminal so they don't have them all out on the road. Let's hope the intervals don't grow much longer. For Bus no. 10 I had to wait 30 min last time, quite a long wait out in the sun.

The buses with te exception of the old red cattle trucks are air-conditioned; a treat!

The bus map is now posted at quite a few of the old bust stops on Huay Kaew

Thanks again stateman.  I am curious as to what map you are looking at to see this detail of where the army base is.  Please post a link if it is online......

BTW, you are correct about the location of the market and probably the base as well, and that is why I would love to see the map you are looking at.  Hard to find a map with that much detail so far out of Chiang Mai.

seeker

http://www.nairobroo.com/images/province/c...mai/map_c07.jpg

the same website also has maps for other parts of CM city and its suburbs.

Unfortunately it is in thai. :o

BUS ROUTES IN ENGLISH

Route 2

Nong Hoi Housing – 7th AAA (Anti-Aircraft Artillery) Battalion

On second thought, I am not sure if the location is an AAA battalion.

It probably is more likely the "7th Artillery Battalion".

Reason: Don't know if AAA is any good nowadays, against the high flying planes. Kosovo and Baghdad proved the point.

Regular artillery still has some use, against an army. So my reasoning...

The translation is an extrapolation from a single letter abbreviation of ป. (like P.) In order to translate it meaningfully, I assume the letter stood for "gun" in Thai, which covers a broad range from pistol, rifles, rocket launchers, artillery and AAA.

If anyone takes bus route 2 to the end, plse observe if it is an artillery battalion. If it is, you may want to post a confirmation here. :o

... If anyone takes bus route 2 to the end, plse observe if it is an artillery battalion.  If it is, you may want to post a confirmation here.  :o

You're right about the 7th Field Artillery Batallion. On the way North, right after the Chiang Mai Prison, bus no. 2 turns left where it says "The Shooting Club" and after a few 100 m left again, then stops at the side of a 6 lane highway in the middle of nowhere, except for what looks like the barracks (or more like cottages) across the road.

After a 10 min break the bus made a U-turn and went back the same way.

The interchanges have yet to be explored. On the way back I got off at a bus stop (they have now signs up) on the east side of the Ping River and flagged down a no. 6 headed for Rincome. But you have to watch out for the traffic going in all directions.

bus2.jpg

tchk, thanks for the confirmaiton and the nice picture.  the bus looks comfy! 

i imagine that is a nice welcome for CM. 

i hope the bus personnel are better trained and give professional service. 

from various postings, it seems that most people, farangs and locals alike, have issues with the song-taew's behavior.

If memory serves me that location is not far from the 700 year stadium and still about 5 km short of Mae Rim market. I see all of the phone numbers at the bottom of the brochure. Does anyone know which one I call to reach some head honcho? Not that it will do any good, but I would like to suggest that they stretch that route.

Thanks.

seeker

Seeker,

Based on tchk’s post of 2005-11-14 09:59:08 above, it seems that the bus termination is just past the major intersection of Hwy107 (CM-Maerim Rd.) and the Middle Ring Rd. (the ring road that was officially completed 100% last month – see my post elsewhere in this website). I believe the 6-lane highway which Tchk described in “(the bus) … then stops at the side of a 6 lane highway in the middle of nowhere” refers to the extension of the Inner Ring Rd. That ring road extension extends westward past Hwy107 and should continue to the Irrigational Canal (and its corresponding Irrigational Canal Rd.).

And what tchk described as “what looks like the barracks” apparently refers to “the 7th Field Artillery Batallion”, as that is the termination point of the route.

This is way short of the Mae Rim market. :-( To get to the market, you’d have to go along Hwy107, past the Middle Ring Rd., the Outer Ring Road, Chiangmai Green Valley Country Club and the Intersection for Chiangmai-MaeJo Rd. (I believe it is Hwy 1260).

Going back to review the bus brochure, it then dawns on me that this IS the DOMESTIC city bus routes for CM city – i.e. INSIDE the city. It is not an inter-amphur (inter-district) bus system going to the various suburbs!

I see all of the phone numbers at the bottom of the brochure.  Does anyone know which one I call to reach some head honcho?  Not that it will do any good, but I would like to suggest that they stretch that route.

Thanks.

seeker

OK Seeker, here is the translation for the fine prints at the bottom of the brochure as posted by tchk. (The phone numbers in the fine prints are hard to read from the scanned pix. Please correct, if I misread the numbers.)

For Inquiry:

Routes 2 and 6 CM City Municipality. Phone 053-259107-8 (during official hours), 053-259199 (express line).

Routes 4 and 8 Lanna City Transport Coop. Phone 053-279291.

Route 10 Kwan Wiang Village (Moo-baan). Phone 053-436474. Hours 06:00-22:00.

:o

If memory serves me that location is not far from the 700 year stadium and still about 5 km short of Mae Rim market. 

seeker

Seeker,

Plse see my post above yours for more details.

And yes, I believe you are right that it is several km short of the Mae Rim market. :o

The bus termination seems to be roughly at the intersection of Hwy 107 and the Middle Ring Rd.

The 700 year stadium is further north along Hwy 107 then turn at the intersection of the Outer Ring Rd.