Foreigners 'Encroaching' On Thai Forests

webfact

Some equally greedy foreigners, together with the equally greedy lousey preying local leeches.

But what about the rotten to the core Land office/officers who willingly sign over deeds/papers for a fee.????? Same as, example buy a condo land office accepts a price of 900,000 bht---you pay 60,000 bht tax, then outside settle with the seller and give him the balance you agreed prior to the land office appointment say another 800,000 bht. normal land / house sell/buy practice.

WANG NAM KHEOW

ALRO, RFD join up to resolve issue

The Agricultural Land Reform Office has teamed up with the Royal Forest Department in a bid to devise an effective means of resolving the long-running encroachment problem in Nakhon Ratchasima's Wang Nam Kheow district.

Apparently the "effective means of resolving the long-running encroachment" means complete annihilation of the resorts.

Yesterday night, under darkness, a 3300-man demolition team stormed the national park and completely destroyed nine resorts that had been determined to be encroaching.

The armed National Forestry Department representatives used sledge hammers and earth movers to raze the buildings completely.

The raid took place at 7 different areas at the same time (1:00am), in Nakhon Ratchasima's Wang Nam Khieo district and also 2 different areas in Prachin Buri's Na Di district.

They were met angry resort owners and workers and local protesters who set tires on fire in a futile bid to block the backhoes and tractors.

The Forestry Department said it would will file lawsuits against the resort owners to pay for the demolition costs.

In turn, some resort owners said they would file lawsuits asking for millions in damages.

repercussions for the above actions.... :unsure:

National Parks Chief faces transfer

Believes move may be linked to him razing illegal resorts in Thab Lan Park

The Chief of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation cried foul yesterday over his imminent transfer. Damrong Phidet said he had heard he would be transferred out of the top job at the parks department.

"But I have not yet seen the official order yet," he said. "I feel the transfer order is not fair".

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Preecha Rengsomboonsuk, meanwhile, denied reports that Damrong would be axed for demolishing resorts illegally built in Thab Lan National Park.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra set up a committee on Monday to find the truth about the process that led to the demolition of nine luxury resorts in Wang Nam Khiew in Nakhon Ratchasima and Prachin Buri's Na Di district.

The panel will be chaired by Thongthong Chandrangsu, Permanent Secretary of the Prime Minister's Office.

Yingluck told the Cabinet meeting in Surin on Monday she had instructed Thongthong to set up a committee to find the truth behind the Department of National Park's demolition of luxury resorts in Wang Nam Khiew after receiving complaints from owners.

"We have to await the result of an investigation by the committee chaired by Thongthong," Preecha said. "It is a fact-finding investigation".

However, Preecha said shortly after that while most resort owners were protected by a temporary injunction from the Administrative Court, Department of National Parks staff demolished the nine buildings following a court order under the 1961 National Parks Act, Article 22.

Damrong said: "I've heard about these rumours since last week - that I would be moved to other agencies. I don't know the real reason but I would accept the order if it is true.

"A lot of people told me that I reacted too strongly by leading a group of DNP staff to demolish big resorts located at Thab Lan National Park last week.

"If this is the real reason behind an order to move me out of my post, it was really not fair for a hard-working person like I," he said.

Damrong is due to retire from his position in two months. His work has mostly focused on wildlife and fighting illegal encroaching on forests.

"I won't be sad for what I've done," he said.

Chote Trachoo, a Permanent Secretary of Natural Resource and Environment Ministry, also denied the report, saying he had not seen any official letter to move Damrong from his position.

Thongthong, meanwhile, told The Nation he had not seen any official letter appointing him as the head of a fact-finding committee over Damrong's move to demolish resorts in national park areas.

"I just know from the newspaper that the Cabinet appointed me as chairman to investigate Damrong's action," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-01

• 3 weeks later...

WANG NAM KHEOW

The Agricultural Land Reform Office has teamed up with the Royal Forest Department in a bid to devise an effective means of resolving the long-running encroachment problem in Nakhon Ratchasima's Wang Nam Kheow district.

Apparently the "effective means of resolving the long-running encroachment" means complete annihilation of the resorts.

Yesterday night, under darkness, a 3300-man demolition team stormed the national park and completely destroyed nine resorts that had been determined to be encroaching.

The armed National Forestry Department representatives used sledge hammers and earth movers to raze the buildings completely.

The raid took place at 7 different areas at the same time (1:00am), in Nakhon Ratchasima's Wang Nam Khieo district and also 2 different areas in Prachin Buri's Na Di district.

They were met angry resort owners and workers and local protesters who set tires on fire in a futile bid to block the backhoes and tractors.

The Forestry Department said it would will file lawsuits against the resort owners to pay for the demolition costs.

In turn, some resort owners said they would file lawsuits asking for millions in damages.

Yesterday, the Central Administrative Court rejected a request by a resort owner who had asked to be spared.

The resort, Ban Talaymok Resort in Thap Lan National Park, had asked for a court order to hold off its demolition.

The court said the National Park Department has already destroyed other buildings in 49 other orders with more in process.

Thanks for the interesting graphic. Easy to see how the resort owner in question being denied a reprive is not alone at Thap Lan National Park. The encroached area there is nearly equal to the combined total of the next 9 national parks.

"The newly appointed Natural Resources and Environment Minister"

Says it all right there.

New guy in the job must find some examples to make,

and scare the tea money from the old Ministers preferred backers to his

Business as usual.

"The newly appointed Natural Resources and Environment Minister"

Says it all right there.

New guy in the job must find some examples to make,

and scare the tea money from the old Ministers preferred backers to his

Business as usual.

Then you add Damrong who is scheduled to retire at the end of October and hope to get a job

at the government ...

Edited by JurgenG

WANG NAM KHEOW

By JANJIRA PONGRAI,

PONGPHON SARNSAMAK

THE NATION

30163055-01.jpg

A special task force will be set up to study pertinent laws

The state agencies have come up with three resolutions to overcome the land conflict in the area, RFD director-general Suwit Rattanamanee said yesterday after meeting with ALRO secretary-general Lerd Virotkowitwattana to discuss the overlapping areas between agricultural reform land and forest reserves.

He said they had agreed to set up a special task force to study the differences of interpretation as regards the law relied upon by the two agencies.

They also agreed to ask the Council of State to interpret these legal differences, so that the agencies could enforce the law in the same direction.

ALRO and the RFD will also conduct a new survey to designate the boundaries between the latter's forest reserves and the former's agricultural reform land.

Moreover, both entities will henceforth go ahead and arrest people who encroach on forest reserves and use agricultural reform land for other than permitted purposes, said Suwit.

Meanwhile, the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry will not allow resort developers that have encroached upon forest reserves and national park areas in Wang Nam Kheow to rent the land or continue to stay in the areas in question.

"We are unable to accede to the request from developers who invaded national park areas, when they asked us to allow them to rent the areas and not demolish their structures," said permanent secretary Chote Trachoo.

"It is impossible to agree to their requests," he added.

Previously, Thap Lan National Park's office found that some 104 resorts and private homes had encroached onto national park territory.

The courts ruled in 2000 to order these resorts to remove and demolish their structures, as they were in violation of Article 22 the 1961 National Park Act, which forbids individuals from encroaching onto national parks in order to put up structures.

However, during the past few days, a group of developers had asked the of National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Department to allow them to continue staying in the areas and not demolish their structures, saying they had invested a great sum in construction and the ministry's strict measures would destroy the tourism atmosphere in Wang Nam Kheow.

Director-general Sunant Arunnoparat said his department had earlier asked the Council of State, a government legal body, whether it could demolish the structures built by individuals in national parks.

In response, the council issued a recommendation that the department should continue to do so.

Sunant said he also ordered national park chiefs nationwide to conduct an investigation into encroachment in their areas, and especially into those people who were ordered by the court to remove their structures from the parks.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-18

So 12 years ago The National Parks department went to law and the courts ruled that buildings be demolished and the land be reforested and sweet FA has been done since. Why aren't National Parks department officials locked up for contempt of court? What a Harry Tate country this is. It's all so comic that you have to love it.