Laptop

Theo007

As I've said before very few models sold here come loaded with operating systems. Your only option is to buy one or get them to put a pirated version on the computer. That either adds at least 4000 onto the purchase price, or if not, it could become problematic for people using non-genuine Windows.

I was looking at the Dell Vostro 3450 a few days back and it was the same price with either win 7 home or Ubuntu, checking the Dell website they don't offer the machine with Ubuntu so I wonder who puts the Ubuntu on it and why it is priced the same ?

If the price is the same with or without Windows 7 Home, then perhaps you are not getting a licensed copy of Windows. Most shops like to charge about 200 baht to put Windows on, but some will do it for free. Perhaps they're offering Ubuntu for the same price just to have a go at you, because if they took off a licensed copy of Windows they should reduce the price by at least 3000 baht. The best price I've seen on Windows 7 Home Basic is very close to 4000 baht.Someone has to pay for a genuine Windows license and I'm sure it won't be them.

On the Dell website it is 21,200b + 1,994b for win 7 professional, at invade IT they are 22,994b with win 7 home.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst you might consider my statement, 'nonsense'. I consider it ironic that someone with relatively little knowledge of the industry has the gall to make such a statement.

In the UK, we get a genuine 'loaded' operating system and the useless 'diagnostic software' for people who have no idea what they are doing and don't mind their computer experience being impaired by the copious amount of crap that Sony installs with their computers. Sony aren't any more reliable than some of the less expensive brands and they certainly don't perform any better.

You are paying for the name.

The machine about which you write, the Sony VPCYB15AG is just over priced for what it offers. It comes with the cheaper 3 Cell battery. As to your Worldwide Warranty... sure if you pay for it.

Pay extra for a Sony if it makes you feel better.

Why would you consider yourself and expert on the subject just because you have the ability to search for and paste irrelevant data from the Internet - bravo!

You don't pay for the worldwide warranty here in Thailand. It's included in the purchase price.

The diagnostic software and genuine operating system is very useful for people with little knowledge of computers. I purchased the computer for a friend (girl) who knows absolutely nothing about computers. Coincidentally the final choice for her was between a Toshiba and a Sony.

One aspect you've chosen to ignore is the appearance and finish of a unit. If you were an expert on the industry as you claim, you would not discount the importance of appearance to female buyers. Acers, HPs, Dells, Lenovos etc are not good looking machines compared to Sony. Toshiba is probably the closest competitor to Sony in that department, other than Apple.

As I've said before very few models sold here come loaded with operating systems. Your only option is to buy one or get them to put a pirated version on the computer. That either adds at least 4000 onto the purchase price, or if not, it could become problematic for people using non-genuine Windows.

If you add the price of Windows onto the cheaper brand models, you end up with a very similar price to Sony.

You aren't doing yourself any favours by posting such unintelligent comment. I posted the articles for you, knowing you had little or no knowledge of such things.

Now you are trying to tell us that you are paying for the appearance. :whistling: You are simply reinforcing my argument. That people who have little or no knowledge of computing, buy a Sony.

The rest of us, buy a machine of similar or better quality for much less and don't have to deal with the crap that Sony installs on the machine.

As to Windows 7 Starter included with the Sony, the price quoted here is closer to 2000 baht than your claim of 4000 baht and invadeIT claim to sell it for 1590 baht.

As to the worldwide warranty, even the ACER I bought in Thailand more than three years ago(and still going strong) came with a International Travellers Warranty. So no big deal.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Whilst you might consider my statement, 'nonsense'. I consider it ironic that someone with relatively little knowledge of the industry has the gall to make such a statement.

In the UK, we get a genuine 'loaded' operating system and the useless 'diagnostic software' for people who have no idea what they are doing and don't mind their computer experience being impaired by the copious amount of crap that Sony installs with their computers. Sony aren't any more reliable than some of the less expensive brands and they certainly don't perform any better.

The machine about which you write, the Sony VPCYB15AG is just over priced for what it offers. It comes with the cheaper 3 Cell battery. As to your Worldwide Warranty... sure if you pay for it.

Why would you consider yourself and expert on the subject just because you have the ability to search for and paste irrelevant data from the Internet - bravo!

You don't pay for the worldwide warranty here in Thailand. It's included in the purchase price.

The diagnostic software and genuine operating system is very useful for people with little knowledge of computers. I purchased the computer for a friend (girl) who knows absolutely nothing about computers. Coincidentally the final choice for her was between a Toshiba and a Sony.

One aspect you've chosen to ignore is the appearance and finish of a unit. If you were an expert on the industry as you claim, you would not discount the importance of appearance to female buyers. Acers, HPs, Dells, Lenovos etc are not good looking machines compared to Sony. Toshiba is probably the closest competitor to Sony in that department, other than Apple.

If you add the price of Windows onto the cheaper brand models, you end up with a very similar price to Sony.

You aren't doing yourself any favours by posting such unintelligent comment. I posted the articles for you, knowing you had little or no knowledge of such things.

Now you are trying to tell us that you are paying for the appearance. :whistling: You are simply reinforcing my argument. That people who have little or no knowledge of computing, buy a Sony.

The rest of us, buy a machine of similar or better quality for much less and don't have to deal with the crap that Sony installs on the machine.

As to Windows 7 Starter included with the Sony, the price quoted here is closer to 2000 baht than your claim of 4000 baht and invadeIT claim to sell it for 1590 baht.

Win 7 starter is absolute garbage, I dumped the licensed copy on my netbook for a "dodgy" ultimate version I have.

Win 7 starter is absolute garbage, I dumped the licensed copy on my netbook for a "dodgy" ultimate version I have.

If you had a licenced copy of Windows 7 on your Netbook, then there was likely no need to put a 'dodgy' Ultimate version on.

Move to PM.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

as to Windows 7 Starter included with the Sony, the price quoted here is closer to 2000 baht than your claim of 4000 baht and invadeIT claim to sell it for 1590 baht.

Give it a break. You don't like Sony, then don't buy one. You don't know jack about buying computers in Pattaya and by the sounds of it, you don't know jack about computers, full stop.

This thread is about buying laptops in Pattaya. In that area I have experience as I've bought 4 in the last year and have scouted just about every single computer shop in Pattaya.

As far as the price of Windows 7 is concerned, you should pay attention. The 4000 baht is for Windows 7 Home Basic. No where did I give a price for Windows 7 Starter.

Edited by tropo

Argumentative and inflammatory post removed. Also the reply to it. I am not about to let this topic turn into a train wreck so either stop with the mud slinging and discuss rationally or suffer the consequences.

as to Windows 7 Starter included with the Sony, the price quoted here is closer to 2000 baht than your claim of 4000 baht and invadeIT claim to sell it for 1590 baht.

Give it a break. You don't like Sony, then don't buy one. You don't know jack about buying computers in Pattaya and by the sounds of it, you don't know jack about computers, full stop.

This thread is about buying laptops in Pattaya. In that area I have experience as I've bought 4 in the last year and have scouted just about every single computer shop in Pattaya.

As far as the price of Windows 7 is concerned, you should pay attention. The 4000 baht is for Windows 7 Home Basic. No where did I give a price for Windows 7 Starter.

Since the Sony you mentioned in Post #16 has Windows 7 Starter installed, I'm not sure how you claim to be discussing Windows 7 Basic.

I'm paying attention. ;)

I hope that meet the the guidelines of a discussion, rather than an argument.

Since the Sony you mentioned in Post #16 has Windows 7 Starter installed, I'm not sure how you claim to be discussing Windows 7 Basic.

I'm paying attention. ;)

I was discussing the cost of Windows 7 Home Basic for around 4000 baht long before I decided to bring up the Sony computer I bought with Windows Starter. I was talking in general about the cost of buying a Windows version long before we started arguing the pro and cons of the Sony laptop Y-series.

Now, just to clarify, I would not buy Windows 7 Starter. I wouldn't even suggest buying Windows 7 Starter. I wouldn't even buy Windows 7 Home Basic, however, for the novice computer user Windows 7 Starter will be good enough IF it happens to be pre installed. The only feature I downloaded and added was "Windows Starter background changer".

For my own computer I wouldn't buy any Windows version or purchase any computer on the basis of which Windows version is installed, but I do believe that a complete novice should not be messing around with pirated versions of Windows and should just have automatic updates enabled so they can just get on with using the computer for whatever they wish to use it for without concerning themselves with which updates to download or not.

And for the record, I don't use a Sony, but my wife does, it's a beautiful machine and we are very happy with it. I prefer a desktop PC when at home.

If you don't have to buy it in Thailand, get it at home... I spent 22,000 baht on a computer in the U.S. which costs 54,000 baht at Tucom.

Spot on, I bought my laptop in the UK cost me 20000 baht would have cost around 45000 baht here, for the same spec and no dodgy copy stuff on it.

I'm paying attention. ;)

I was discussing the cost of Windows 7 Home Basic for around 4000 baht long before I decided to bring up the Sony computer I bought with Windows Starter. I was talking in general about the cost of buying a Windows version long before we started arguing the pro and cons of the Sony laptop Y-series.

Now, just to clarify, I would not buy Windows 7 Starter. I wouldn't even suggest buying Windows 7 Starter. I wouldn't even buy Windows 7 Home Basic, however, for the novice computer user Windows 7 Starter will be good enough IF it happens to be pre installed. The only feature I downloaded and added was "Windows Starter background changer".

For my own computer I wouldn't buy any Windows version or purchase any computer on the basis of which Windows version is installed, but I do believe that a complete novice should not be messing around with pirated versions of Windows and should just have automatic updates enabled so they can just get on with using the computer for whatever they wish to use it for without concerning themselves with which updates to download or not.

And for the record, I don't use a Sony, but my wife does, it's a beautiful machine and we are very happy with it. I prefer a desktop PC when at home.

Actually you mentioned Windows 7 Starter in the very same post.

As to pirated versions, I'm not sure how we got on to that. I certainly didn't suggest it.

A novice user could easily get by with purchasing a Netbook for 8000 in Thailand and Windows 7 Starter for 1600. No need for talk of piracy. There are also other free operating systems from which to choose.

Of course those in the know can install and activate Windows without recourse to dodgy methods. Certainly no concerns for disabling Automatic Updates.

Whichever way you look at it, you are paying extra for the Sony name. Nothing wrong with that. Your money, your choice.

As to pirated versions, I'm not sure how we got on to that. I certainly didn't suggest it.

A novice user could easily get by with purchasing a Netbook for 8000 in Thailand and Windows 7 Starter for 1600. No need for talk of piracy. There are also other free operating systems from which to choose.

Of course those in the know can install and activate Windows without recourse to dodgy methods. Certainly no concerns for disabling Automatic Updates.

Whichever way you look at it, you are paying extra for the Sony name. Nothing wrong with that. Your money, your choice.

It's all about context. Sorry for the confusion, but I never suggested anyone buy Windows Starter and that the price thereof is 4000.

The Sony, as was already explained is not a "netbook", it's an ultra-thin notebook. If you are going to compare prices, let's compare apples with apples. Please bear in mind that we are not in the UK and the selection of netbooks and ultra-thin notebooks is limited. If you had scouted computer shops in Pattaya last week as I had, you would know this.

Talking about activating pirate versions of Windows is beyond the scope of this forum.

Edited by tropo

If you don't have to buy it in Thailand, get it at home... I spent 22,000 baht on a computer in the U.S. which costs 54,000 baht at Tucom.

Spot on, I bought my laptop in the UK cost me 20000 baht would have cost around 45000 baht here, for the same spec and no dodgy copy stuff on it.

I'm sorry, but I find this very hard to believe. Please indicate the exact model you purchased in the UK for 20,000 baht so I can price the same in Thailand.

It's all about context. Sorry for the confusion, but I never suggested anyone buy Windows Starter and that the price thereof is 4000.

The Sony, as was already explained is not a "netbook", it's an ultra-thin notebook. If you are going to compare prices, let's compare apples with apples. Please bear in mind that we are not in the UK and the selection of netbooks and ultra-thin notebooks is limited. If you had scouted computer shops in Pattaya last week as I had, you would know this.

Talking about activating pirate versions of Windows is beyond the scope of this forum.

I'm not sure how you've got to piracy again. I wrote:

Of course those in the know can install and activate Windows without recourse to dodgy methods.

Just opened up the box to my Toshiba Ultra Thin Notebook/Laptop with a 13.3" screen. In fact it is a Toshiba Satellite T130-16W, so better than expected. They mislabelled it as the single core version. Bargain for 9300 baht.

There are some advantages to living in the UK. ;)

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Anyone that doesn't buy Apple is crazy....I have had all the other crap for years.

Apple Mac is like a breath of fresh air...no virus, user friendly and compatible to all my old windows stuff.

Why would you buy anything else.

Perhaps one clue is the the P R I C E above. How much did your beloved Apple cost? Perhaps you also missed that they are made by the same manufacturers are the Windows laptops. So you are paying a lot of money for a name and software.

I think that Powerbuy in Central have quite a good selection at reasonable prices, also the top floor of Tukcom.

Cant comment on the knowledge of the salesmen though.

I would definitely be a bit wary of the many small stores in Tukcom.

Many domestic users who just do common things like email, websurfing, word processing etc., and who dont buy expensive specialised software, might well find that Linux (Ubuntu) offers all the functionality they need from an operating system. It is free. Just be careful that compatible drivers are available for things like printers etc.

Powerbuy in Central started out with a nice selection but the laptop section looks tired now, remind me of Lotus - supermarket style, nobody seem to know much about what they are selling, and the available models all seem to be bare bones models for cheapest price. I would definitely go to IT City on the top floor of Tukcom for any laptop purchases in Pattaya.

Anyone that doesn't buy Apple is crazy....I have had all the other crap for years.

Apple Mac is like a breath of fresh air...no virus, user friendly and compatible to all my old windows stuff.

That's easy - the price.

Another reason - not everyone wants to learn a new system after years on another.

I f you were to buy a laptop abroad how easy is it to get a dual keyboard (English/Thai) and how much would it cost? I presume this will vary greatly between the different vendors as well?

Just as an aside on the Widows 7 Home Premium discussion I bought and had installed (and have recently been quoted the same elsewhere) a genuine OEM version (I have the discs) for 3,900 baht. The one I bought was from the Tukcom computer repair shop place on the 3rd or 4th floor that i can never remember the name of.Does anyone know specifically in Pattaya where I can get an original version cheaper (OEM or retail)?

Edited by topt

I f you were to buy a laptop abroad how easy is it to get a dual keyboard (English/Thai) and how much would it cost? I presume this will vary greatly between the different vendors as well?

As long as you get a laptop available here, very easy. Just order the keyboard as a spare from the local importer and replace it (or pay a few hundreds to have it replaced). I don't know the price of a replacement laptop keyboard in Thailand but in the US they seem to be in the $25-$75 range depending on model, I would guess similar here with the usual mark-up, so probably in the 1,000-3,000 baht range.

The fact they are selling the OEM so freely is dodgy in itself and against the Microsoft EULA.

As long as it is genuine and the discs original with the authorisation code is it a problem for the user? As I have been using for 20 monts now in multiple countries I am guessing not.

I would prefer the retail version but it was not even offered.

Just as an aside on the Widows 7 Home Premium discussion I bought and had installed (and have recently been quoted the same elsewhere) a genuine OEM version (I have the discs) for 3,900 baht. The one I bought was from the Tukcom computer repair shop place on the 3rd or 4th floor that i can never remember the name of.Does anyone know specifically in Pattaya where I can get an original version cheaper (OEM or retail)?

You can buy stickers for the keys if you don't want to change the keyboard.

About 400 Quid, and if you'd have bought the same machine in US it would have cost $400.

Perhaps one clue is the the P R I C E above. How much did your beloved Apple cost? Perhaps you also missed that they are made by the same manufacturers are the Windows laptops. So you are paying a lot of money for a name and software.

I paid about 2500 US Dollars....but is it really that much when its something I use for work and home daily....I have had it for a year already with no problems and it still impresses me daily.

As I cant see me needing an upgrade for a long while yet I think its worth paying the extra for quality.

That's easy - the price.

Another reason - not everyone wants to learn a new system after years on another.

A 2 year old could work it out...its very user friendly.