Treking And Caves Chiang Mai

wilsonf

Hi,

I currently live in Pattaya, but have a friend coming to visit in early Nov for about six weeks.

We intend going up to Chiang Mai for about a week, in which time we will visit the Temples in and around Chiang Mai, take a three day hike, and visit the two cave complexes that I understand are about 40K & 70K respectively from Chiang Mai.

I was in Chiang Mai myself earlier this year and hired a Tuk Tuk and driver for a couple of days to visit the temples .

In the foyer of the hotel I stayed ( SK House 11) there were brochures on hiking trips of varying durations and itineraries. As I didn’t have time for one at the time I didn’t take a lot of notice of the companies offering these, and a request for more information from the hotel drew a blank, presumably as they wanted to have me book through them so they’d get their cut. But needed to know all the details before booking, so is there any member in Chiang Mai that has information on these companies that provide the treks, with their web sites so I can see what’s on offer.

With regard to visiting the cave complex’s, some sites suggest hiring a songthaw, does anyone know what the cost of this would be, and how would it compare with hiring a car for the day. I know hiring a motorbike could be a cheap option, but 70K and back on a Honda Click isn’t appealing.

Any information would be gratefully received

If you have the time, go up to Tam Lod ( Soppong on the Pai/ Mae Hong Song Road) Go to Cave Lodge. John, an australian who has lived there for 25 years is an expert in caves, good trekking and canoe rafting too ( Not bamboo rafts, proper inflatables, great fun) Website is I think www.cavelodge.com. This would be proper caving.

For 'commercial' caves, I know the one at Chang Dao on the 1317 road to the Sankamphaeng Hot Spring, worth a visit, about 30 Km out of town. ( the hot springs are OK too).

enjoy yourselves!

PS motorbikes are cheap and once out of town the traffic is OK. Wouldn't suggest tuk tuks, can't see, noisy and wil almost certainly charge your more than a 'red taxi ( songthau).

self drive cars around 1000 Baht, driven car/minibus a little more.

Edited by msg362

If you have the time, go up to Tam Lod ( Soppong on the Pai/ Mae Hong Song Road) Go to Cave Lodge. John, an australian who has lived there for 25 years is an expert in caves, good trekking and canoe rafting too ( Not bamboo rafts, proper inflatables, great fun) Website is I think www.cavelodge.com. This would be proper caving.

For 'commercial' caves, I know the one at Chang Dao on the 1317 road to the Sankamphaeng Hot Spring, worth a visit, about 30 Km out of town. ( the hot springs are OK too).

enjoy yourselves!

PS motorbikes are cheap and once out of town the traffic is OK. Wouldn't suggest tuk tuks, can't see, noisy and wil almost certainly charge your more than a 'red taxi ( songthau).

Thank You, Thank You!!!, The web site suggested was excellent and seems to encompass all the things we are looking to do in one place, with the exception of visiting the temples in and around Chiang Mai itself which I have done before myself and organising that not a problem. Have Plenty of time to get organised for this and other intended excusions ,Ankor Wat, Phi Phi, etc. As friend has just advised me arrival date 31st Oct. for 6 weeks. Once again thank you for reply and excellent information

enjoy yourselves!

Thank You, Thank You!!!, The web site suggested was excellent and seems to encompass all the things we are looking to do in one place, with the exception of visiting the temples in and around Chiang Mai itself which I have done before myself and organising that not a problem. Have Plenty of time to get organised for this and other intended excusions ,Ankor Wat, Phi Phi, etc. As friend has just advised me arrival date 31st Oct. for 6 weeks. Once again thank you for reply and excellent information

OOPs the cave on the 1317 is Muang On ,not Chang Dao, it's the one i've been sorry for the confusion