Campaign For Impeachment Of Thai FM Surapong

webfact

IMPEACHMENT

Campaign for impeachment

By THE NATION

30163160-01.jpg

Democrats go after new foreign minister for his role in getting Japan visa for fugitive Thaksin

The opposition Democrat Party yesterday launched a campaign to seek impeachment of embattled Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul, whom it accused of helping ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra get a visa to Japan despite his status as a fugitive convict.

The Democrats also filed a criminal complaint against the new foreign minister for assisting Thaksin, who was in 2008 sentenced to two years' imprisonment and is wanted in connection with last year's unrest and riots.

Senior Democrat MPs Nipit Intarasombat and Virut Kalayasiri, who are the party's legal experts, called a news conference yesterday to announce the Democrats' legal action against Surapong for his alleged assistance to Thaksin.

Nipit said Surapong's actions contravened the Constitution when he told the Japanese ambassador that this government's policy differed from the previous administration's regarding Thaksin. Surapong referred to the government policy even before the government actually declared it before Parliament, the opposition MP noted. He said that as a state official, it was improper for Surapong to do this, given the fact that Thaksin was a fugitive under Thai law.

The Democrats' legal team agreed yesterday to submit a petition seeking the foreign minister's impeachment, a move that would require support from at least 125 MPs, according to Nipit, who added that he expected the required number of MP proponents to be reached by today. He said Virut had drafted the petition and it would be submitted to the Senate Speaker on Monday.

Nipit yesterday said the foreign minister also violated the Penal Code by helping Thaksin escape an arrest. He said Surapong was unaware Thaksin was travelling to Japan, but instead of asking the Japanese authorities to arrest him, he was instrumental in requesting an entry visa for him.

He said the Democrats might also take the case to the National Anti-Corruption Commission for an investigation into whether there was any individual behind the foreign minister's moves and whether Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra - who is Thaksin's sister - was involved with this matter.

"This is a big issue. If Surapong did not get an order or a signal from anyone, I don't think he would dare to have done it," the Democrat MP said.

Regarding criminal action, Virut and Democrat MP Watchara Phetthong yesterday filed a complaint at Bangkok's Phaya Thai police station, accusing Surapong of assisting a person wanted by the authorities, which is against Articles 189 and 192 of the Penal Code.

Virut said that if not for the foreign minister's request, Japan would not have issued an entry visa for Thaksin.

Japanese law does not allow the entry of a person who has been found guilty and given a jail term of more than a year, but the justice minister can issue a special permit.

"It is widely known that Thaksin is escaping a jail sentence for a criminal offence. The Democrat-led government tried to bring him back to serve his term. But the Pheu Thai government is now offering Thaksin the convenience of going to different places without being arrested," Virut said.

Pol Maj-General Wichai Sangprapai, commander of Metropolitan Police Bureau 1, said investigators would determine whether the foreign minister had committed any wrongdoing before summoning him to hear the charge. He added that the process would not take much time.

According to Japanese officials, Japan decided to issue a visa for Thaksin in the light of a Thai government request and various related considerations. They said Bangkok urged the approval of Thaksin's visa, saying it would help improve bilateral ties.

Prime Minister Yingluck yesterday said her government had no policy of helping Thaksin.

Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit said the Democrats were too quick to attack the government. He also threatened possible legal action by Pheu Thai against the Democrats if they were found to have made false allegations against Surapong. He said that if found guilty, the Democrat Party could be disbanded.

In a related development, Tul Srisomwong, leader of the multicolour-shirts group, submitted a letter to the Japanese Embassy in Bangkok opposing the special entry permit given to Thaksin.

"I want justice-loving Japanese people to question the move by their government," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-19

related topic:

Democrats To Target Yingluck And Surapong For Impeachment

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the recent revelations about the lies told in regards to the extradition warrant I would have thought the Dems would be keeping a pretty low profile right about now.

Apparently not. Their arrogance and stupidity just continues to dig them a much bigger hole for themselves politically and in the minds of the general populace.

Given the recent revelations about the lies told in regards to the extradition warrant I would have thought the Dems would be keeping a pretty low profile right about now.

Apparently not. Their arrogance and stupidity just continues to dig them a much bigger hole for themselves politically and in the minds of the general populace.

Didn't the current government say they would not focus on Thaksin? But it seems that's all they have done? Seems their arrogance and stupidity continues as well? Two sides to every coin.

And there was I thinking that the function of the opposition is to critically appraise the actions of the government, to point out their errors, and prevent them from committing criminal and felonious acts.

When the new government has done very little, with the exception of one certain criminal act (commonly known as aiding and abetting a fugitive), I guess they might have to spotlight that as there is SFA else to look at.

But I'm a little at a loss to understand why pointing out that someone is performing a criminal act should reflect badly on the pointer rather than the criminal. Does a mandate absolve all responsibility for criminal acts past, present and future?

And there was I thinking that the function of the opposition is to critically appraise the actions of the government, to point out their errors, and prevent them from committing criminal and felonious acts.

When the new government has done very little, with the exception of one certain criminal act (commonly known as aiding and abetting a fugitive), I guess they might have to spotlight that as there is SFA else to look at.

But I'm a little at a loss to understand why pointing out that someone is performing a criminal act should reflect badly on the pointer rather than the criminal. Does a mandate absolve all responsibility for criminal acts past, present and future?

Well said.

And another point would be a simple question asked: " What passport was used for a Japan visa issuance"? IF Thaksin was using a Montenegrin passport, wouldn't all this hullabaloo be in vain as using a non-Thai passport would be out of Thai jurisprudence?

What Lies are you reffering to

Thaskin has been convicted by a Thai court FACT

He ran while on Bail FACT

The dems are the opposition and it is their duty to keep the government in check

So far it seems the dems are the only ones doing the job they are meant to do

If the government or any member of it have broken the law, then they need to face justice the same as any of us

Didn't the current government say they would not focus on Thaksin? But it seems that's all they have done? Seems their arrogance and stupidity continues as well? Two sides to every coin.

The Nation Newspaper is a propaganda sheet and nothing more. Stooges for the yellow shirts.

Read the uncensored Blogs to get to the truth.

The Dems really should be focusing on shooting down the domestic policies and campaign promises that PTP made. There's enough ammunition for them to use. The current government's actions re Thaksin going to Japan should be way down the list. In my humble opinion the average man on the street isn't concerned with politics and really couldn't give two shits about what Thaksin's up to. They're more concerned with putting bread on the table etc. The Dems would gain more brownie points after their election loss in pointing out the new government's failings regarding what it's going to do for the Thai people. There's a lot of sitting ducks for them to take a shot at.

The Nation Newspaper is a propaganda sheet and nothing more. Stooges for the yellow shirts.

And people who write at blogs donot have their own agenda or someone elses to push. If someone supports a certain point of view they will find those who lend support to their views, be it a newspaper or uncensored blogs. Or the people who support thier views at this forum.

Agreed. Many of the uncensored blogs blast the current government and Thaksin's past atrocities even more. :(

Its the duty of every political opposition to promote checks and balances within the sitting Govt, a sort of "keeping them honest" however with the PTP I would think that this function is well nigh impossible!!.

And people who write at blogs donot have their own agenda or someone elses to push. If someone supports a certain point of view they will find those who lend support to their views, be it a newspaper or uncensored blogs. Or the people who support thier views at this forum.

And I suppose that the red shirts are not Thaksins stooges,LOL.

If you honestly think that the prime function of ANY opposition government ANYWHERE is to keep the incumbents in line, you really haven't been paying attention at all. In the real world, lawyers keep the cops on the straight and narrow. However, the politician that isn't looking out for his own arse hasn't been spawned yet.

I also reckon you have been around the Thai traps long enough to know that ANY illegal acts here can be written off, atoned for, grovelled out of, discounted, explained away and even be enshrined and protected in some rewrite of the bloody Constitution.

That and the bunging of huge amounts of wedge in appropriate places of course.

Its the duty of every political opposition to promote checks and balances within the sitting Govt, a sort of "keeping them honest" however with the PTP I would think that this function is well nigh impossible!!.

OMG! Not ANOTHER one!?

I bet you believe the used car salesman when he tells you, "I rip off the other guy so I can pass the savings on to you!"

Virut said that if not for the foreign minister's request, Japan would not have issued an entry visa for Thaksin.

Oh really. Since when has ANY country asked Thailand if it's OK for one of their citizens to get a visa?

Yes, you read it here,

"Japan Immigration Policy dictated by Thailand Foreign Office".

Now that the 'war with Cambodia' is back on the non-event list, the opposition needed something that hints at national security concerns to keep the ignorant, clueless and riled up... ignorant, clueless and riled up.

You can't make this sh!t up.

Edited by NanLaew

Agreed. Many of the uncensored blogs blast the current government and Thaksin's past atrocities even more. :(

Can we start quoting and believing all the nut case / conspiracy theory blogs too? Or only the ones that fit your agenda?

Oh really. Since when has ANY country asked Thailand if it's OK for one of their citizens to get a visa?

Yes, you read it here, "Japan Immigration Policy dictated by Thailand Foreign Office".

Now that the 'war with Cambodia' is back on the non-event list, the opposition needed something that hints at national security concerns to keep the ignorant, clueless and riled up... ignorant, clueless and riled up.

So you don't believe the Japanese minister that said that the Thai government requested Japan to give Thaksin a visa?

Can we start quoting and believing all the nut case / conspiracy theory blogs too? Or only the ones that fit your agenda?

No agenda, other than to point out there are many blogs out there. Some stooges for yellow shirts, some stooges for red shirts, some good, some bad. Is that wong?

No agenda, other than to point out there are many blogs out there. Some stooges for yellow shirts, some stooges for red shirts, some good, some bad. Is that wong?

The problem with blogs is that they are often just conspiracy theories without any facts to back them up. But, the Thai newspapers aren't much better.

You are welcome to your opinion

Be it right or wrong

But it seems you do not give others the same privalage

The Dems really should be focusing on shooting down the domestic policies and campaign promises that PTP made. There's enough ammunition for them to use. The current government's actions re Thaksin going to Japan should be way down the list. In my humble opinion the average man on the street isn't concerned with politics and really couldn't give two shits about what Thaksin's up to. They're more concerned with putting bread on the table etc. The Dems would gain more brownie points after their election loss in pointing out the new government's failings regarding what it's going to do for the Thai people. There's a lot of sitting ducks for them to take a shot at.

The job of the opposition is to keep the government in Check

That is all things

Not just the things you think are important

What media isn't. propaganda? It is a time tested tool to control the mindless flocks all over the world. Example (maybe a poor one) My wife and I are watching this guy do amazing tricks with bubbles on television. During the demonstration the camera men were recording the tricks and playing them backwards, the wife comments how does this guy make the bubbles go back into the bubble ring. This question boggled my mind especially since they put up a pre-recored message in the corner of the screen. My point is most people in this country are very very gullable and will believe what they hear not so much what they see.

Edited by MILT

A post has been removed due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

"It is widely known that Thaksin is escaping a jail sentence for a criminal offence. The Democrat-led government tried to bring him back to serve his term. But the Pheu Thai government is now offering Thaksin the convenience of going to different places without being arrested," Virut said.

This is hilarious considering the other report that the Dems didnt do athing to try and bring Thaksin back. Maybe they should impeach themselves too

Yes, you read it here, "Japan Immigration Policy dictated by Thailand Foreign Office".

So you don't believe the Japanese minister that said that the Thai government requested Japan to give Thaksin a visa?

I don't believe anything that starts with the words, "The opposition Democrat Party...."

I don't believe anything that starts with the words, "The opposition Democrat Party...."

It wasn't "the opposition Democrat Party" that stated that the Thai government had requested Japan to give Thaksin a visa.

The job of the opposition is to keep the government in Check

That is all things

Not just the things you think are important

Strewth! Between you and OzMick, this ideal of opposition government 'checks and balances' must be an Antipodean invention.