Pre Pay Ais One 2 Call Change To Post Pay.

Spoonman

Unless someone has done it recently and can remember all the items needed, it's probably best you go into a AIS office and get the word from the horses mouth in person. It's been a long time since I did it but remember having to bring my passport, (work permit not sure), and address of where I was residing. They might have asked for a rental agreement, but again, can't remember.After you get signed up, you will have around 3-4 months where you will have a limit that you can be billed for and anything over that you'll have to go pay up. It's only after this period of time showing that you are responsible and can pay when your supposed to, that they will up your amount. I forget how many stages I went though until I didn't have to worry about any limit, but seem to remember it wasn't all that long. Now my monthly bill runs on average of Baht 1,700 minimum up to around 5 - 7k, depending how many overseas calls I make or if I have been out of country and using the roaming.

My bill is payable on the 6th of every month and is mailed to my home in CM, but as I'm not there on a regular basis, I just stop by any Tesco-Lotus and pay at the AIS (Telewiz) booth.

Sorry I could not help more...

When I changed my pre paid SIM to a post paid SIM I had the same problems in the first month. After beeing cut of the first time, because I reached a certain limit, I just went to a Telewiz shop and put 10,000Baht in. From then on the card had no limits anymore, even when roaming abroad. Bills up to 25,000Baht/month occure. "AIS will love you". To change to the post paid SIM I only needed my passport with a NON-O visa and my yellow house book, but I'm not sure whether the yellow house book is really required.

fatfather

I did this last year ... kept the same number.

Went to the AIS shop in Central World. Took passport copy, Work Permit and company incorporation documents (only needed as this was a company billing). I had run down the credit on the pre-pay as they cannot transfer this. If it's not a company account, then a copy of a local bank statement and proof of address will help.

Within 10 minutes I was on a post pay with monthly billing. I set up international roaming and a data plan at the same time.

They do it all on screen while you are there using your phone number to log on to your details.

Would someone mind to tell me what is the advantage(s) of going post-paid?

Billing of course, but pre-paid has also roaming and more interesting plans........

If your employer reimburses 100% and can do a direct-bill/payment then this saves a lot of paperwork.

Or there may be some packages which are only available to post-paid/contract customers that offer significant value. (See Truemove's iPhone Free-Size plan. Even the Truemove Smartphone plans offer significant savings, ~ 50%!, over pre-paid plans. I haven't examined the new AIS or DTAC post-paid plans which incorporate 3G.)

Service providers love post-paid customers; note that ~ 9% of AIS's 31 million customers are post-paid.

Postpaid Churn is 1% compared to 4.5% on pre-paid.

ARPU is 617 baht vs. 200 baht (per month)

MOU is 529 minutes vs. 229 minutes per month.

Post-paid customers overrun their plans often, generating additional revenue.

Would someone mind to tell me what is the advantage(s) of going post-paid?

Billing of course, but pre-paid has also roaming and more interesting plans........

Itemized invoices = I can claim calls/data used for work purposes, this week alone I have spent 2000b pre paid with 90% of that being for work and currently I have no means to claim it.

As a private family we went from a post-pay avg cost of around 2,500/month to pre-pay avg cost of less than 1,000/month. the biggest cost saver was that we were paying for way more airtime that we were actually using. Now we're only paying for what we actually use. This is a private family of 3, no company reimbursements or anything like that to factor in. It's also much easier to control how much airtime the family daughter spends with a fixed prepaid amount ;)

Payments? No problem. Before with the post-pay we would have to pay at the carriers counter or pay a service charge to pay bills throught ebanking. With the top-up we can refill the pre-paid sims through ebanking with no service charges.

My post paid bill is by direct debit = Much greater convenience.

With post paid I no longer have to worry about whether or not I have enough credit remaining for the evening (not a major concern but a top-up might be inconvenient at times).

With pre-paid it was rather annoying having to top-up a max of 500B each time (thats enough scratch cards !) - although I'm sure the online and ATM top-ups are now much more convenient.

I'm not sure if I pay less now than before - so perhaps there is no great difference.

With post paid I have no worries about maintaining balance while roaming.

With post paid I can alter roaming plans / data plans with ease (free call to 1175 AIS).

My post paid bill is by direct debit = Much greater convenience.

With post paid I no longer have to worry about whether or not I have enough credit remaining for the evening (not a major concern but a top-up might be inconvenient at times).

With pre-paid it was rather annoying having to top-up a max of 500B each time (thats enough scratch cards !) - although I'm sure the online and ATM top-ups are now much more convenient.

I'm not sure if I pay less now than before - so perhaps there is no great difference.

With post paid I have no worries about maintaining balance while roaming.

With post paid I can alter roaming plans / data plans with ease (free call to 1175 AIS).

It might be more convenient, but certainly not cheaper.

As I explained, top-up through ebanking is quick and free, paying your post pay bill is not. Yes you can set up automatic debit if you are brave. There has been stories of people being charged much more than they were supposed to and then having to go through all sorts of inconveniences to try to resolve the issue. Don't forget TIT.

You can alter your plans through 1175 (AIS) regardless of pre or post pay but I'm fairly sure it is not a free call. Try checking your call balance before and after.

There are many cost-effective post-paid packages which include minutes, SMSes, MMSes, data (2G/3G/WiFi) which offer ~ 50% discount. Obviously if you don't make calls, send SMSes, use data then a post-paid plan is probably a waste.

I've used a program called Droidstats, which tracks voice, sms, data usage (and allows you to set reminders, thresholds) for ~ 8 months so have a good handle on my usage patterns and requirements. I was just about to go for a post-paid plan from True which would save me ~ 40% (~275 baht) per month. Then pulled back to evaluate DTAC.

So for some people, post-paid plans can result in significant savings. The convenience factors are a wash, although perhaps pre-paid is a bit more convenient, topping up at ATMs, on-line banking vs. reviewing a monthly bill for accuracy, then arranging payment? Not sure yet on this one?

To categorically dismiss the huge potential cost savings which post-paid plans offer is short-sighted and flawed.

• 1 year later...

cost-effective post-paid packages which include minutes, SMSes, MMSes, data (2G/3G/WiFi) which offer ~ 50% discount. Obviously if you don't make calls, send SMSes, use data then a post-paid plan is probably a waste.

Well if you can get free calls to AIS all day at for 9 baht and pay only 1 baht per minute for calls to non AIS numbers I fail to see anything cheaper, unless you're really hammering your phone to death...

When I was a fairly heavy user a few years back, I found GSM might be cheaper - but then there'd be a month or more during the year when I didn't manage to use it all up... the money wasted on the light months more than made up for money saved for me, so I have been very happy on 12Call.. and with the added benefit that I actually use less because of the way it works.... You pay to make calls, instead of need to make calls that you have to pay for whether you call or not.

Postpay for me is a strange idea suitable only really for super heavy business users. The two are not easily compared - but GSM will generally eat more money than 12Call in most cases (unless you just have the wrong plan set up, which applies in most cases... Most people have the wrong plan).