Do I Need A Visa ?

Your problem might be actually boarding a flight to Thailand without a flight out, in this case you would be safer with a visa.

Are you then going to stay in the UK? if you are then you would probably be better off buying your ticket in the UK, where they are usually considerably cheaper.

If your son is staying in the UK then you could buy his single ticket at the same time.

i've read that in these cases when the return ticket might be request, it would be enough to show a flight reservation. it wouldn't be necessary to have the ticket actually bought.

If carriers fly you into Thailand and you haven't got either an onward ticket or a visa then they are liable to be fined, hence their reluctance to allow you to board.

You can only get stamped in for 30 days if you have an onward ticket, and whilst I have never been asked for sight of proof by Thai IO's, they will be aware that the airline should have already checked. I doubt if a flight reservation would work, and in any case is it worth the risk?

Your problem might be actually boarding a flight to Thailand without a flight out, in this case you would be safer with a visa.

Are you then going to stay in the UK? if you are then you would probably be better off buying your ticket in the UK, where they are usually considerably cheaper.

If your son is staying in the UK then you could buy his single ticket at the same time.

i concur