Moving A Palm Tree

insertcoins

To move a palm that size, the roots have to be chopped back a little each day. Once there is just a ball of roots and the palm is ready to be taken out of the earth, most of the fronds are trimmed.

Once the palm is re-planted, it takes about five to six years before it gets over the shock and looks like it does today.

Why not go to a gardening company and give it to them as long as they do the work and take it away.

It is your palm, right?

Edited by KarenBravo

It is a common Coconut Palm, yeah. The tree is in the garden of my condo. I have asked management multiple times if they could do something about it, but they won't. So I figured if I would pay for moving it they would be more willing to listen to my request. I will try a garden company or a work camp. More suggestions are always welcome.

To move a palm that size, the roots have to be chopped back a little each day. Once there is just a ball of roots and the palm is ready to be taken out of the earth, most of the fronds are trimmed.

Once the palm is re-planted, it takes about five to six years before it gets over the shock and looks like it does today.

Why not go to a gardening company and give it to them as long as they do the work and take it away.

It is your palm, right?

That is the first time i have heard that method but that may explain why in Thailand after transplanting palms and other trees they put those ugly (and detimental to the tree's health) suppots around the tree. I have moved many large trees including rare palms and the important thing is to make sure the root ball is as large as possible and the hole that the palm will be transplanted into a bit larger than the rootball. I have never used supports because the rootball should be able to sopport itself. Wrap the rootball in hessian and keep moist to stop the roots dying . Palms are extremely easy to transplant if you take a bit of care protecting the trunk from mechanical damage. It will take about 3 months for the tree to re-astablish itself if it is watered regularly and well watered in at transplanting time. Do not be alarmed if the fronds begin to drop as that is to be expected. Usually we cut back the fronds for ease of handling , but can be tied up instead. We often use palms as "temporary "plants in a lanscape project as they are so easy to transplant and re-use.

However question yourself if it is worth the trouble of doing the job properly and supervising the job or just remove and re-plant another one in a more suitalble position.

I think the OP just wants to get rid of the palm not transplant it

It just needs to be cut of at the base if he can find someone to do the job

The OP does say he wants to move it. On second reading i still read it as wanting to move or transplant it or he would have said remove it. He could,however. mean either. I just tried to help him by giving him my experience in transplanting it so he can decide for himself.

I think the OP just wants to get rid of the palm not transplant it

It just needs to be cut of at the base if he can find someone to do the job

The OP does say he wants to move it. On second reading i still read it as wanting to move or transplant it or he would have said remove it. He could,however. mean either. I just tried to help him by giving him my experience in transplanting it so he can decide for himself.

I think he meant remove, i could be wrong

Who would want to go to the expense of transplanting a coconut palm of that size, they are easy to grow

That is why i wrote that he should ask himself wether it is worth it for a cocconut palm. Would be a different situation if it was a valuable species of palm or one of more value.

Anyway it is up to the OP to decide what he does.

I have a similar problem. One of the coconut palms on my land, a very tall one, looked like it was going to die: it stopped making coconuts and growing new leaves. The tree is in a very awkward place in between two buildings, difficult to chop down without causing damage.

A team of Isaan (Northeast Thailand) building labourers who were here till recently came up with a solution they assured me has been used in the Isaan for hundreds (thousands?) of years: just chop off all the leaves, then the tree will die, and slowly rot away, gradually becoming less tall in the process.

They assured me it works, but I must admit I still feel a bit uneasy about it: still afraid the dead tree will topple over some day when it storms.

Who gets to cut off the leaves from the very tall coconut?

I've just removed (or should I say, several hired locals did), seven very tall beetle(sp) nut trees that were sandwiched between my house and a wall. Using just a long rope and a tommyaxe they managed to drop 6 down cleanly in the space available.

Edited by Old Croc

Who gets to cut off the leaves from the very tall coconut?

I've just removed (or should I say, several hired locals did), seven very tall beetle(sp) nut trees that were sandwiched between my house and a wall. Using just a long rope and a tommyaxe they managed to drop 6 down cleanly in the space available.

What about the seventh one mate :)